Two-ways versus Three-ways?

• Members

I'm ready to move up to the next level from my JBL Eon G2 mains and am interested in the QSC HPR 153i (but open to other suggestions). However, I'm also 57, without my youthful strength and energy, and was a bit concerned over the weight of three-ways. Do any of you think that I would be happier with a two-way because they're lighter and still put out a good/great sound? And if so, what would you recommend? Or, should I stick with a three-way and simply buy a good dolly? I'm old but don't have a lot of live-sound miles under me.

• Members

They sound different. The midrange driver can help provide a more focused midrange. However, that doesn't mean that 2-ways are bad. If possible try out both boxes (rent them) and see if the weight is worth the little bit extra in the sound to you.

• Members

Thanks for your response. Good idea to rent, but I'm in a small town (Tuscaloosa, Alabama) with limited options--big Peavey country. In fact, I have to go to Atlanta, and still can't find any place to A-B Yorkvilles against QSCs or JBLs (I can hardly find Yorkvilles). I'm impressed that you mentioned that I should see if the weight is worth the "little bit extra in the sound." Sounds like your partial to two-ways? Any one else got a preference for two or three-ways? Is there any specific speaker that might sway me one way or the other?

• Members

Hey there.

I'm 52, and I also have a pair of HPR 153's, and a pair of HPR 181's.

I love the sound, and you are right about the weight.

Luckily, I'm still strong, and I run the sound for a Teenage band with lots

of friends (Helpers)

Now I just point to where I want the speakers, and they move them for me.

Yeah! It's good to be the Captain. LOL

• Members

There is nothing wrong with a quality 2 way speaker. In fact, there are some advantages to using a 2 way soundwise relating to directivity control that 3 way (with a cone midrange) suffer from.

3 way speakers with a cone midrange can be a good option where size, weight, efficiency and directivity are not so important, and where gain before feedback in the midrange will not be a challenge.

I have developed speakers in both catagories and both have their place.

• Members

Do you plan on using subs? That might make a difference in your choices. What about a budget? Those HPR's run about 1100 bucks, is that the limit?

They do sound nice, but very heavy (HPR153's). I perfer a nice set of 12"/horn tops over a set of subs...all light weight boxes please!

• Members

Do you plan on using subs? That might make a difference in your choices. What about a budget? Those HPR's run about 1100 bucks, is that the limit?

They do sound nice, but very heavy (HPR153's). I perfer a nice set of 12"/horn tops over a set of subs...all light weight boxes please!

Thanks guys for your feedback. The next step will be to buy better subs. I like the HPR 181i and, for now, am biased toward the powered subs. But I can also get a deal on some JBL SRX 718s. I'm also curious about the Yorkville subs, but can neve find any to hear them where I live. Does a quality sub make a 12 inch 2-way mains perfectly acceptable soundwise? (I don't have enough listening experience).

• Members
Guess I never noticed. Just remember thinking to myself, would the dispersion would be an issue. I have 2 sets of old Klipsch's that have horn mids. Just never noticed them in higher powered boxes.

Many times you use them when you want dispersion, or lack of it to be an issue. For long throws when clustering them, etc. I have 6 of these that I use outdoors. http://www.hkel.com/speaker2.html (CE34) Cerwin also had the populat budget PSX line with a horn-loaded cone mid.

• Members

This, http://www.communitypro.com/files/literature/spec%20sheets/S-3294_SPEC.pdf is the light weight three way we chose. My 50 year old back doesn't have any problem pole mounting them. They have pretty good pattern control, especially now that I put 60 degree horns in them.

We chose them over the PRX and HPR two ways in our A/B listening session. We never put them up against any other three ways as they were all to heavy for our criteria.

Winston

• Members

There are some cabinets with horn loaded mids but the reason you don't see a lot is the cost/size/weight required to make the package manageable for the average user AND maintain good pattern control and sensitivity in the low mids.

With a typical 2 way box, the natural beaming of the LF section compliments the typical x-over frequency of the HF devices. It works out reasonably well in practice. The beaming occurs at a much higher feequency on a typical cone mid driver, changing the system's polar pattern.

For a horn loaded mid, the throat depth and mouth area needs to be pretty large to obtain meaningful pattern control down low. Everything is a compromise.

• Members

Thanks guys for your feedback. The next step will be to buy better subs. I like the HPR 181i and, for now, am biased toward the powered subs. But I can also get a deal on some JBL SRX 718s. I'm also curious about the Yorkville subs, but can neve find any to hear them where I live. Does a quality sub make a 12 inch 2-way mains perfectly acceptable soundwise? (I don't have enough listening experience).

Nothing wrong with powered subs. I dont use them because of the weight, Im driving a Astro van and have to keep the boxes small and light. While I have never heard the HPR181 sub outside of a music store the reviews of the subs always seem positive. I dont know if the SRX718 is really an upgrade. Quite a bit lighter and much easier to load and move around but output wise.....there probably isnt much difference and according to the spec's the HPR might have a higher output. Dont forget you will need a decent amp with processing or a crossover with the SRX too.

Im probably one of the very few that didnt like the LS800P Yorkville sub, it was loud but I didnt like the sound.

Archived