Allen Heath setup question.

• Members

Here is my typical setup from the A&H 16:2 to the two subs and mains; An xlr cable from the L to the sub input. Out of the sub up into the main. And an xlr from the R to the other sub and out and up to the main. (monitors from aux1,2)

But i read this in the user manual and now I'm wondering if i was doing it wrong. Here is what it says in tha manual;

"Aux fed subs This increasingly popular application drives the sub

bass speakers with their own mix. It lets you send only those sources

with wanted low frequency information to the sub speakers. It can

dramatically clean up the mix as non-bass channels such as vocals

and guitars are kept out of the subs and therefore do not allow low

frequency pickup to muddy the mix. It is typical to include only sources

such as kick drum, bass guitar, keyboards and sound effects to these

speakers."

Is this the correct way or just another way and maybe a better way? But is it too complicated for a novice sound guy like myself (and singer/bass player too).

Cheers!

• Members

What speakers do you have? Based on the info you provided I am assuming you have powered speakers. If you are looking to do a basic FOH setup, then you should be fine the way you have it hooked up. If not, please elaborate more so we can help.

• CMS Author

Is there a crossover in the system to divide the sub and mid-high frequencies? That's more important to know before moving on to aux-fed subs.

The principle of aux-fed subs is that you don't want to send sonic mud such as stage rumble, mic handling noise, or extraneous electronic gak to your subs. One way to do this (which is just as effective) is to engage the channel high-pass filters for any channel that doesn't handle music with sub frequencies (like vocals, cymbals, a trumpet, etc.). The other way is to use aux-fed subs. You need a separate crossover channel to do this, since the aux signal has to be low-passed in order to be useful.

• CMS Author

The Yorkville's have their own HPF/LPF instead of a crossover, so you'll need to buy an additional crossover in order to do aux fed subs.

Or just use the Mixwiz's 100hz HPF's on appropriate channels. Same end result for your purposes.

EDIT: My mistake, sorry. I think you can do this without an extra crossover. Run the aux output to the sub, and set the LPF to say 100Hz. Run the mixer mains out to the NX, And I think it's got a HPF you can use to filter out the LF. If Yorkville's website wasn't running so slow I could download a manual to verifiy this.

• CMS Author

Alright, so as I understand it, in aux-fed systems the mains are run full-range and the subs just reinforce low-end instruments?

Wouldn't this cause a lot of mud for the bass instruments? Or are the mains crossed over?

No. Aux fed subs cross the mid-highs above 100Hz or whatever is normally appropriate for them. (as I'm writing this I realize I miswrote in my previous reply to the OP) The subs are fed, as the name implies, by a post-fader aux. You only send from channels that actually have LF music content. So vocals (except for the basso, if any) don't send to the subs, nor the cymbals, snare, acoustic guitar, etc. The bass guitar, kick and floor toms do. For a typical passive rig, you run the aux output to a crossover, and use the LF output to the sub amp. The mixer main output gets run to another crossover channel, and the HF (set to high pass at say 100Hz) goes to the mid-high amp.

• Members

For probably 95% of the typical users out there, I would say that aux fed subs is more trouble and complication than it's worth. For the other 5%, generall there is a specific problem or issue that they are (trying to) addressing.

It's a tool, if you don't have the need you don't need the tool.

• Members

I used to run aux fed subs, but at my volume levels it wasn't making a huge diffeence, so I switched back - for most gigs.

I do run aux fed subs when I'm not running a crossover. If I'm faced with a mixer, powered mains, and a sub or two, that's when I find it handy to just send the kick, bass, keys.... to the sub. YMMV, and in the case of most of the Yorkville powered mid level stuff, they've anticipated the lack of a crossover (or even the desire to use one) and usually include LPF/HPF on their cabs.

Archived