Looking to build PA from Scratch - 50 to 300 people

• Members

A couple JBL PRX512m's should be good and lightweight. Couple that with a Yamaha or Peavey passive mixer with FX and you'll be in great shape.

Yorkville, EV, RCF ART, all make speakers in various price/weight/spl volume/dispersion that may be worth looking into as well.

• Members

A passive mixer with enough inputs (and a few extra, to allow for expansion), and a single, or a pair of, powered speakers. Why "powered" speakers? No headaches trying to deal with amplifier racks, proper 'limiting" etc. Vocal clarity/intelligibility can be important for your particular application (acoustic group). Look to a mixer with a decent EQ, hopefully with a swept mid, and consider the quality of the FX. A touch of reverb is often enough, but you want something that is appropriate to your music genre. You might also want to consider a monitor or two, and your mixer has to accomodate those monitors.

Reliability/dependability comes into play when performing before others. Factor that into your selection of components. Sometimes, saving a few bucks can have some pretty negative consequences in how you come across to your audience. Trouble-free gear allows you to focus on your performance, rather than worring about your gear.

Buy a few "quality" mics and cables. You'll also need stands. Take the time to find out why some are better than others, then decide whether or not you're willing to spend the bucks on more reliable gear.

You might also benefit from having a few D.I. boxes on hand, and as far as cables and D.I.'s go, it would be very difficult to beat the value and performance that you'll get from choosing EWI components.

A very basic set-up for acoustic solo/duo work (vocal/guitar), would be a Soundcraft Notepad 124FX mixer, and a single Yorkville NX-25p powered speaker on a stand. You'd have a very portable/compact system, and come in at roughly $700.(plus stand). At $1k. you have a VERY reliable and decent performing acoustic rig.

Going upscale a bit, a mixer such as the Soundcraft EFX-8, and a pair of Yorkville NX55p's, will give you a bit more flexibility, and a rounder/deeper bottom-end to your sound. You're looking at roughly $2k there, plus mics/cables/stands/D.I.'s.

Good luck,

Bob

• Members

One decent powered speaker and small mixer for 50-100, two powered speakers with small mixer for more. Probably need one powered monitor for larger gigs as well.

Cables, mic, stands, DI etc..... Plus more and the ever more.

Winston

Monitors aren't optional for any gigs, IMHO.

A mixer and three decent powered speakers should do the job for you.

• Members

I tend to agree there GCDEF, but I've managed to get by with a single AER 60w combo-amp, as long as the small crowd is reasonably quiet, and focused on the performance. Still, it can be a little difficult to hear yourself properly. I put the amp slighly behind me, and off to my side, angled slighly inward so I can hear it, and I'm careful with mic/placement and the gain knob, to avoid feedback. A monitor is definitely preferable though.

• Members

Could be true if the speakers are in front of you but...

To the OP. I do three to four single gigs a month (with backing tracks), to fill in the gig holes, so to speak. I use either one Yorkville NX25P, or one Yorkville E160P, or two Yorkville NX84 speakers, or two Yorkville NX55P speakers. I then use a small powered or unpowered mixer as the situation/speaker demands.

My speakers are always set up behind me and thus are my de facto monitors.

BTW I've been asked to turn down (in a large room) using just one NX25P, so you can get by with just one powered speaker. Just remember that you have no built in redundancy if that one powered speaker blows up - and this happened to me a few months ago!

Good luck.

EDIT: the speaker that blew up was an elite E10, rental, and likely abused.

• Members

A mixer and three decent powered speakers should do the job for you.

Monitors are usually better, but for an acoustic gig for under say 75 people, they certainly aren't mandatory if you set up the speaker behind you. Once the crowd/space is big enough, I agree that they then usually become mandatory.

Although, I've been to excellent bluegrass concerts with crowds in the thousands where no monitors were used.

Winston

• Members

I've done many two person gigs without monitors. But not places that get roudy. For me personally, roudy/loud places pretty much require monitors.

I do always bring two speakers though-may help with better coverage and as Shaster mentioned, provides a backup if one quits (I've lost one side before).

• CMS Author

Thanks for all your responses. What about this? It seems like it does it all:

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=106

SA220 Solo Performance System

The Bose system costs more, but does the job better. For a one-man acoustic band, it's ideal. Try both systems and decide which better meets your needs. Both are very portable.

• Members

The Bose system costs more, but does the job better. For a one-man acoustic band, it's ideal. Try both systems and decide which better meets your needs. Both are very portable.

Certainly an option to consider.

Anybody heard anything about Jack's BagAmp that was supposed to take the world by storm last year? Introduced at summer NAMM, supposadly shipping but as rare as hen's teeth on a shrimp boat from what I have('nt) seen.

• Members

Certainly an option to consider.

Anybody heard anything about Jack's BagAmp that was supposed to take the world by storm last year? Introduced at summer NAMM, supposadly shipping but as rare as hen's teeth on a shrimp boat from what I have('nt) seen.

Andy,

It seems that the BagAmp has recently started shipping, based on what I'm reading on the acoustic guitar forums. Reviews are mixed. All the enevitable BagAmp vs SoloAmp comparisons and such.

The first review was titled "BagAmp Horror Story". Seems some guy got a pre-release BagAmp, but it arrived heavily damaged. (Two punctured drivers). There was some discussion over whether this occurred in shipment, or at the factory. BagAmp made it right though. They shipped out a replacement unit, and paid for return shipping of the damaged amp.

Bob

• Members

I sorta got the impression that there was some concern over quality-control at the China facility, Maybe their intention is to hold back a bit, until this issue (if it actually exists) is resolved.

Bob

Quality control has NOT been identified as an area of concern for the BagAmp. Forum members who had no access to the damaged unit took creative liberty in assigning all manner of sloppy manufacturing theories to the story, but the unit in question was clearly damaged in transit.

BagAmps have been shipping steadily since November, and will also definitely be displayed in the Collins America booth at NAMM this week. Hall E, space 1350. Also on display will be the BagAmp Sub, the Mixer, the Monitor, and the Bracket.

MC

• Members

I used the Bose system on several occasions, but wasn't happy with the monitoring aspects of it. I find I can hear myself much better with a monitor on the floor in front of me.

• Members

You might want to establish a better link between the name "BagAmp" and the name Collins America. Anybody looking for BagAmp at NAMM will miss your booth.

Thanks for the heads-up. We were supposed to have a double directory listing, and were unaware that it had not been properly added. Wouldn't have known it was missing until too late for print if you hadn't pointed it out.

MC

Archived