DIY Mic cables & parts

• Members

Hey guys, sorry for the redundant question but I am looking at making my own cables and I know we've talked about this many a times but I can't find the old thread using the search feature. What are some places that I can buy mic cable parts in bulk?

Edit: I have made my own cables before and do like it but buying the parts from the local shop gets expensive. $5-$7 per xlr end.

• Members

Audiopile Cable, I get connectors from Fullcompass.com, pretty cheap when you're buying a bunch at a time too.

check out Neutrik NC3MX and NC3FX

I'd look at the newer NC3MXX and NC3FXX. I haven't gotten around to using them regularly yet myself, but Mark has said that they are a much better connector than there predecessor. From the couple I've needed so far, I'm inclined to agree.

Now for the million dollar question, why do you want you make your own cables?

• Members

Audiopile Cable, I get connectors from Fullcompass.com, pretty cheap when you're buying a bunch at a time too.

I'd look at the newer NC3MXX and NC3FXX. I haven't gotten around to using them regularly yet myself, but Mark has said that they are a much better connector than there predecessor. From the couple I've needed so far, I'm inclined to agree.

Now for the million dollar question, why do you want you make your own cables?

Because the $20 cables I have bought break after 6 mos of use and the ones I made have outlasted the ones I bought. Unless I buy the $30-$40 Mogami and Quantum cables with Neutrik ends. I feel that for $15 or less I can make better quality cables. Again, that's all my opinion.

For some reason someone always finds a way to step on the cables the rip the ends right off. I'm surprise that the Neutrik ends that I use are quite sturdy.

• Members

Because the $20 cables I have bought break after 6 mos of use and the ones I make have outlasted the ones I buy. Unless I buy the $30-$40 mogami and Quantum cables with Neutrik ends. I feel for $15 or less I can make better quality cables. Of course that's my opinion.

Might I suggest a look at Audiopile's XLR cables? They are very well received and reviewed here in the forums.

• Members

I used to make all of my own cables.

I agree that if you become a skilled solderer you can do a much better job than most any factory (you're constantly Q.C.ing your own work). I know of some of my mic cables that I made in the early 80's that are still in use :>)

Unfortunatly I don't have the time to make them all anymore but I still make up specialized adapter cables and rack install cabling (anything that is custom at all).

• Members

Because the $20 cables I have bought break after 6 mos of use and the ones I made have outlasted the ones I bought. Unless I buy the $30-$40 Mogami and Quantum cables with Neutrik ends. I feel that for $15 or less I can make better quality cables. Again, that's all my opinion.

For some reason someone always finds a way to step on the cables the rip the ends right off. I'm surprise that the Neutrik ends that I use are quite sturdy.

Either you need to fins a wayto avoid getting ripped off paying $20 for a $5 cable or you need to be more careful with the cables you have.

I use $25 cables for touring applications and get over 20 years out of them with none of the problems you describe. That's over 1000 big shows.

Look at Audiopile cables for a start.

• Members
  • Members

Either you need to fins a wayto avoid getting ripped off paying $20 for a $5 cable or you need to be more careful with the cables you have.

I use $25 cables for touring applications and get over 20 years out of them with none of the problems you describe. That's over 1000 big shows.

Look at Audiopile cables for a start.

I'll check Audiopile out Andy. Their website is kind of limiting isn't it? Or it is just me? http://www.audiopile.com

• Members

I'd look at the newer NC3MXX and NC3FXX. I haven't gotten around to using them regularly yet myself, but Mark has said that they are a much better connector than there predecessor.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to suggest the XX series is "much better" than the X series (because the X series Neutrik connectors are GOOD... and much better than GOOD would be... well... I dunno... a 57 Fender Strat... or a '71 Hemi Cuda?... and the XX series are arguably not quite in that league... yet, anyway), but I do believe there are advantages to the XX series, being:

1) The compression nuts thread into the shells of the XX series connectors, rather than around the shell (on the X series)... which I believe results in a more durable cordend.

2) The spirial flute of the female contact springs in the XX series is better than the straight flute of the felmale contact springs in the X series.

3) The release button is better/evolved on the female connector on the XX series compared to the X series.

I prefer soldering the X series, but the XX series solder-up just fine once you get your head around them.

• Members

i really like the X series, especially the right angle ones, and those especially compared to the previous version with the two screws holding them together. i am interested in the XX versions though i havent had a chance to see any.

i wonder what the XXX versions will look like?

• Members

Yeah... and you weren't thinking the same thing? :poke:

I am pure innocence :cop:

Except for one wek of the year ;)

hehe

P.S. I just ordered some of Audiopile's Quad cables. I look forward to putting them in use. Normally I would make my own, I have several spools of wire and several hundred XLR's, but I'm in a time crunch, and I had one of my cases loaded with Mic, Speaker, and lighting clamps get stolen, so It' more than I want to take on at the moment. They look solid, and for the price, I suggest this for most peeps!

Todd

Archived