bass & kick through mains

• Members

so more noob research, I'm wondering if theres any way to know if it's safe to send bass and kick into mains without a sub? we played a charity gig and the sound guy was using 2 mackie srm450s per side. everything went through the mains, vox, kick, snare toms and overheads, bass and guitars.

I didnt think 12" mains could handle all of that but they seemed to do fine.

• Members

so more noob research, I'm wondering if theres any way to know if it's safe to send bass and kick into mains without a sub? we played a charity gig and the sound guy was using 2 mackie srm450s per side. everything went through the mains, vox, kick, snare toms and overheads, bass and guitars.

We run a little through the eons and it seems to work fine.

• Members

You can put anything you want through the mains. It's a matter of how much you put through and how loud you need to be. A pair of 450 watt Mackies w/ 12" woofers (or any similar cabinets) can give the drums and bass guitar a little bit of presence up front, but not a whole lot beyond that. You would'nt want to push a great deal of drums and bass, and they're not going to give you that 'in your chest' thump. It'll be just a bit better than listening to the acoustic drum sound and the bass guitar stage rig.

• Members

lol, nope, I helped him setup the sound, it was a pretty big auditorium so I was kinda surprised when they didnt run subs.

anyway heres the audio I got from my h2 about 40' from stage

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com/media/bestshotlive.mp3

it was our first show so go easy
:lol:

That song brings back memories. Band sounds good. Maybe the singer needs to write the lyrics out bigger re: the second verse:) All the best in your gig quests.

I've heard two Mackies a side wihtout subs, sound okay. It just depends on who's at the wheel and one's expectations. Sounds like the tech got the important stuff in the mix. I've heard board tapes that soundrf worse, so I think you guys were lucky to have that tech on board. My opinion of course.

Archived