How many of you use playback tracks on stage?

• Members

What do you use?

1) Laptop?

2) Ipod?

3) CD Player?

4) Mp3 player?

I tend to think that in terms of the best fidelity playback...the CD player (wave format) is the best....but the CD player is not as portable as the Ipod.

Am I right to say that an IPOD can't match a dedicated CD player's in terms of fidelity/sound quality?

• Members

Apple has a lossless codec but unless you are using very good and expensive in ears to listen, I doubt if you would hear much difference between the high rate MP3 and an AIF. Through a sound system live you will not notice any difference at all.

We use MP3s either off of a laptop or iPod. CD players are in AIF format. WAV is a lossy conversion, although better then low rate MP3s.

• Members

What is the prefered 1st choice player to you? An IPOD is the smallest...but will it sound 'full' like a dedicated CD player?

Laptop for us.

Are any of us really good enough that the difference between a CD/laptop/iPod is going to make a difference?

• Members

We went through a few choices... Playing big national shows and having any skipping or lag was embarrassing! We had a Minidisc player.... However, it would do some strange things here and there. I finally found the best solution, yet it's overkill. I bought a AMERICAN DJ SDJ-1 Dual SD Card Slot player. It's got a nice big display and I don't have to worry about any kind of skipping at all. I'm paranoid and carry the two Ipods for backup as well as a Laptop.

For international shows, we take the Ipods for ease. Works great! I just don't like the small controls and touch screen stuff while playing a live show!

• Members

You will hear no difference at all between CDs and a properly set up iPod.

Especially since every mp3 playback device of which I am aware will play uncompressed waves if you really are that much of a golden-eared purist.

• Members

Is there any 'skipping' in the ipod during your show? Has anyone experienced this before on stage? I am terrified if this happens on stage.

iPods can't skip. Skipping comes when the laser on a CD loses track of where it is or can't read the information because of a defective disc.

• Members

Minidisc (Home unit) with a portable minidisc player as backup (has a remote with a backlit display). Ipods can work as well, but I've had a few occasional "freezing" issues with my IPod (actually a Sony Ipod imitation). I own an American Audio SDJ-1 - it is great and could also be used for this I guess. Units such as the SDJ-1 and IPods will not skip because they have very few or no moving parts. Only the possible freezing issue would worry me a little.

Al

• Members

One of my bands use an Ipod for backing tracks. Left channel goes into the drum IEM mixer and the other goes into a direct box for FOH. Works great and I never have the tracks up so high that you could ever hear that the tracks were "fake".

Of course, the band themselves made the tracks, so they hold back on certain songs but look like they are singing.

Here is an example: Down Boys

• Members

I have AB'd a home MD player with a portable MD player. Both Sony. Gosh...there are very obvious differevces in sound quality. the portable player made the drums and vcoals sound so weak and wimpy.

I wouldn't think there would be any differences? Perhaps a strange setting on the portable device or on board "eq" was engaged?

Honestly, there should be NO difference between a home/portable MD player.

Archived