No announcement yet.

BAD powered PA speakers and BAD mixer

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAD powered PA speakers and BAD mixer

Hello, I bought two Harbinger APS12 12 inch Powered PA Speakers today and I'm a 100% positive that these are going back to Guitar Center. I was looking for a powered PA to use for at least two vocalist, a keyboard, and an occasional acoustic guitar(this is not including the two electric guitars and drums) so I wouldn't have to buy an amp for some non powered PA speakers. I had my ALESIS MultiMix 8USB Audio Mixer in between a Shure SM57 and the two APS12s. Every time I would get close to the mic and sing into it, there was a really hash break up. The speakers themselves either had a little white noise or hum on their own which would come and go randomly and with the ALESIS MultiMix it seemed to be magnified times three.

I spent $300 dollars on the two APS12s together and I have 30 days to return them for a full refund. I am now looking for a new PA setup with powered or non powered speakers (w/amp if needed) and a good mixer that won't add any white noise or hum. I know for $300 dollars that's not reasonable so I would like someone with some experience to please help guide me in what should be my next purchase to get some thing that my band will enjoy using and help us feel more professional in a live setting. Thanks.

That's what $300/pair of powered speakers gets, just enough power for family BBQ's or conference room speeches. The powered speakers for your application will be closer to $1500/pair. I would suggest PRX512s.
    If it weren't for money and chicks, bands would never break up

Comment

I'd try the speakers without the mixer to see if the mixer is failing. Those smaller mixers can be wierd about gain structure and alesis isn't know for quality. Of course B52 (Harbinger's actual name) also sux.
      www.rock-bot.com
      Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Are there any good powered speakers that go for around $1000 a pair?

Comment

Yorkvile NX25P, Mackie SRM450.

Comment

YEAH....definately.

PRX-512s used and lots of others......used!
            May you be in Heaven Half an Hour....Before the Devil Knows you're Dead!

I took the Road less traveled....and that has made all the difference.

The more you guys learn, the better equipped your bull**************** detectors and cynacal meters will become. -Agedhorse

Comment

Yorkville YX15P, Wharfedale Titan 12 active

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services
              KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

Aside from what what was mentioned above
                For 8": EV ZXA1
                For 10": Mackie SRM350 old & new(v2), JBL EON 510, maybe a Yamaha StagePAS 500 (includes the mixer)
                For 12": Peavey PR-12D
                For 15": JBL EON 315

JC

Comment

EV ZXA1.
                  RCF ART310A.
                  Yorkville NX25P.
                  Mike Pyle
                  Audiopyle Sound Pro Audio & Stage Lighting
                  www.audiopyle.com

Comment

Sorry that the APS12s didn't work for you. I'd also try them without the mixer and see what you get. We use a pair of the APS15s as a rehearsal PA and also as stage monitors with no issues whatsoever.(Other than being a little too big as stage monitors.) For FOH they're just not enough power... that's when we run the EVs.
                    Where the Mississippi River runs west...

Comment

WOW! I'm really surprised how fast this thread was replied to. I'm kind of scared to mention this but I had a friend suggest the Carvin XP1000L-1502 8 CHANNEL PA SYSTEM. I don't know much about Carvin except a guy I know used to play through their amps. Here's the link that was suggested to me:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=XP1000L-1502&cid=102

Comment

Ewww. no. You'd be about in the same boat. Plus, as mentioned in another thread, those mixer have a horrid layout me thinks and the speakers will not be in the same category as any of the ones suggested here so far.
                        If it weren't for money and chicks, bands would never break up

Comment

Peavey PR powered series are the absolute cheapest I'd dare to go with. For around $500 each, look at the Samson db500a. It's a pretty damned good powered speaker for not much coin.

You can never go wrong with Yorkville's powered boxes, and JBL PRX are awesome, but out of your budget new. Look at used models, as the line hasn't been out so long that used gear age is a big factor.

Mackie SRM's are decent, and you can find them used all over. Older is actually better with these...if you find some with "Made in USA" on the label, get 'em.

I would avoid Carvin and Behringer.
                          "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

You can work with $1000 pretty well. You can buy one really good speaker or two pretty good speakers. If you buy two pretty good speakers you could move them to monitor duty when you step up to some better speakers for FOH. I would not recommend buying anything that you eventually see needing to get replaced unless you will be making money off it right away.

I was in a similar situation, but decided to buy one decent powered speaker at a time, next the sub, and eventually I will upgade the monitors. Right now, the band I play with isn't interested in using my stuff, but I figured if I take my gear anywhere atleast FOH will sound good and I can borrow some decent monitors. In the meantime, the band leader in the band I have played with has already replaced 2-3 pieces of equipment. He's probably spent as much on 1 passive 8 channel mixer, two power amps, and now a 12 channel powered mixer that I have on a pair of JBL PRX 512s.

Be smart with your money.

Comment

I would avoid Carvin and Behringer.

I have a Carvin 1644P. It's got 16 channels and 1200 watts, although it doesn't get very loud. I basically bought it because (1) it was a good price ($300) and (2) I wanted to go the powered route, but figured until I get everything together it would be easier to get my hands on passive monitors if I needed. It wasn't a bad buy because I got my money out of it and I can probably sell it for $200.... but I would stay away from the packages they have and I don't tihnk I will be buying a Carvin product again.

Comment

Working...
                              X