Got My PRX512m's today... report

• Members

First off, I was struck with how large they are. I guess Im used to my Turbosound TXD-12's, which are much smaller. They are very light. I can easily pick one up with one hand, and I could easily carry both, one in each hand, for 20 yeards or more without too much strain. Awesome.

Easily put up on my pole mounts. Come with 8' power cords - nice touch.

Plugged them in and cranked up ACDC - Black in Black. Sound was smooth, nice & powerful. Nice low end off these boxes, better than the Turbo's. I have to compare, but I might say the Turbo's are sweeter in the top end... But I like how the JBL's have a better low mid character- Better as a drum monitor or bass players wedge. I turned them up until the clip light started hitting, they got a bit harsh... but this was in my basement and wasn't a real good test. I oriented it as a monitor at the drumset, and jammed along with a few tunes. Cut through very nicely, and will be great for kick when reinforced, I could really feel it.

Mine do not exhibit any unpleasant gating, and have a bit of hiss - nothing objectionable. Overall, a great purchase considering how relatively inexpensive they were.

only gripe is that the flat side for monitoring has no rubber feet. I will rectify that, but that would have been nice

Todd A.

• Members

i think they sound pretty good but for some reason i find them less than pleasant for monitors. i cant quite put my finger on it either, its something in the mids is a little weird when they are so close to me. they sound good when used as normal speakers though.

• Members

:thu:

Good report.

What did you have to do to get the clip light to come on? More specifically, where did you have the input gain on the speakers set?

Pretty high. I was using an 01V and iPod, getting about -10dBfs, which is where I usually mix at... and I had to turn the sensitivity up to 3/4 up.

T

• Members

i think they sound pretty good but for some reason i find them less than pleasant for monitors. i cant quite put my finger on it either, its something in the mids is a little weird when they are so close to me. they sound good when used as normal speakers though.

I actually liked the "Monitor" setting as opposed to the "Main" setting. These definitely need subs to act as Mains. I can hear what you are referring to - reflected by my comment about the Turbo's being a bit more "sweet". I haven't compared yet, as the TXD's are at a friend's place.

T

• Members

:thu:

Good report.

What did you have to do to get the clip light to come on? More specifically, where did you have the input gain on the speakers set?

Meaningless as it depends completely on the level of the incoming signal.

• Members

First off, I'll admit I'm still confused about setting the gain on these... I've been setting the mixer somewhere at or below 0 dB, and setting the speakers around mid-level. The volume is fine for the venue, and I never get any clipping...

The manual says, as part of setting the gain:

Mixer

- Set the channel fader to 0 dB

- Set the Master fader to 0 dB

PRX

- "...set the "Level" control to the 12 o'clock position, and adjust until the "overload" LED just begins to flicker."

This suggests that you should be able to get the "overload" light to flicker by turning up the gain on the speakers, right? :confused:

• Members

First off, I'll admit I'm still confused about setting the gain on these... I've been setting the mixer somewhere at or below 0 dB, and setting the speakers around mid-level. The volume is fine for the venue, and I never get any clipping...

The manual says, as part of setting the gain:

Mixer

- Set the channel fader to 0 dB

- Set the Master fader to 0 dB

PRX

- "...set the "Level" control to the 12 o'clock position, and adjust until the "overload" LED just begins to flicker."

This suggests that you should be able to get the "overload" light to flicker by turning up the gain on the speakers, right?
:confused:

It all depends on how your gain staging is setup. In My example, I made clear that my mains were showing a signal of -10dBfs (The 01V is a digital mixer, and this level leaves 10dB of headroom).

So, it's ok to say that your channels are at 0, and Main fader is at 0, but what are your gains set at- in other words, where is the signal actually at with those faders set at 0. Then you can start to get an idea of where you're at.

T

• Members

Glad you liked them. I finally got a PRX 718 to go with them last week and cranked it up this weekend. Pretty awesome. I see what you guys are saying about subs and how the provide a more realistic "concert" experience. I don't have a lot of experience with decent sound equipment, but I am pretty happy.

It's also not that heavy, but it's size makes it kind of difficult for me to get both arms around it comfortably. I guess I will buy a furniture dolly, but the hard part will be getting it in and out of my SUV. I'm glad I did not go for a set of heavier speakers.

I will probably stick with one for now as I don't like the idea of carrying two around and it is overkill for most of the places we play. Hopefully the band leader will be down for letting me test it out at one of the next gigs.

• Members

Glad you liked them. I finally got a PRX 718 to go with them last week and cranked it up this weekend. Pretty awesome. I see what you guys are saying about subs and how the provide a more realistic "concert" experience. I don't have a lot of experience with decent sound equipment, but I am pretty happy.

It's also not that heavy, but it's size makes it kind of difficult for me to get both arms around it comfortably. I guess I will buy a furniture dolly, but the hard part will be getting it in and out of my SUV. I'm glad I did not go for a set of heavier speakers.

I will probably stick with one for now as I don't like the idea of carrying two around and it is overkill for most of the places we play. Hopefully the band leader will be down for letting me test it out at one of the next gigs.

I would love to pair a 718 with these guys... I've been thinking about gettign some drum subs, but maybe somethign klike a 718 might be better- because then I could use it as a small "B" Rig with the 512's... pretty nice B rig...

T

• Members

I would love to pair a 718 with these guys... I've been thinking about gettign some drum subs, but maybe somethign klike a 718 might be better- because then I could use it as a small "B" Rig with the 512's... pretty nice B rig...

T

How do you move heavy stuff around by yourself? The 512s are no problem, but the 718 is awkward to carry by yourself. I'm thinking furniture dolly to my garage, then asking a neighbor to help me load into my car.

• Members

How do you move heavy stuff around by yourself? The 512s are no problem, but the 718 is awkward to carry by yourself. I'm thinking furniture dolly to my garage, then asking a neighbor to help me load into my car.

I'm one of those dudes who is born strong - I'm 6'0 275lbs. I lift my LA400's into my truck with no help, and I can put my LA325's on top of them solo if I need to. Part of it though it lifting smart- learn to use leverages. For example, to load my LA400's, I grab the cab, with the heavy speaker in my gut, then rock back so that the weight of the cab is borne by my legs. The cab is resting on my thighs. It's then relatively easy to lever the cab up on the lip of my Pickup bed.

Do I prefer to have 2 peeps? Hell yeah. but If i have to I can go it alone.

I would definitely get wheels on stuff- doesn'thte 718 have a caster kit?

T

• Members

Todd... take the two 512's and put them together splayed about 20-30 degrees apart. Listen to them that way and see how they array together. I think you will find that it's pretty darn acceptable and that's another way to scale the system between a small and large B rig. Just another option IMO.

• Members

I'm close to buying a second pair of 512's for monitors for a total of (4). If i was to ever need to run all 4 for FOH, what might be a logical sub configuration (I already have a pair of prx 518s)? This is hypothetical since I'd possibly rent for any gig that would require that size PA...

• Members

I'm one of those dudes who is born strong - I'm 6'0 275lbs. I lift my LA400's into my truck with no help, and I can put my LA325's on top of them solo if I need to. Part of it though it lifting smart- learn to use leverages. For example, to load my LA400's, I grab the cab, with the heavy speaker in my gut, then rock back so that the weight of the cab is borne by my legs. The cab is resting on my thighs. It's then relatively easy to lever the cab up on the lip of my Pickup bed.

Do I prefer to have 2 peeps? Hell yeah. but If i have to I can go it alone.

I would definitely get wheels on stuff- doesn'thte 718 have a caster kit?

T

It's not so much the weight... One of the reasons I went with the PRXs was because weight. It's more the fact it's hard for me to comfortably get my arms around to the handles on each side of the 718. Maybe I should try grabbing it from the bottom instead of trying to wrap my arms around. :confused:

• Members

yes.

Wonder how the Low Mids would perform... 1200w & 2x15 vs. 800w & 2x12. 1.5 compression driver Vs 2" compression driver.

Big difference is that the 325 would focus this into a 90 deg are, where as the PRX would be 140deg coverage.

No way to tell without listening...I might have to try it.

T

• Members

Yes, you have to try it. I know one solution would be easier to move around and stack ;)

It wouldn't have to be 140 degrees either, there may be nothing wrong with overlap at all. You can also stack one upside down on the other and maintain 75 degrees, or splay a little and extend your range.

Archived