Just switched to in ears. A little advice please?

• Members

Me and a couple of buddies started up a little cover band to make some extra cash and we decided to all go in ears to keep stage volume down , and for simplicity. I hooked them up today. 4 mixes , ran mono off of the aux sends on my StudioLive. Im having a couple of issues that hopefully you guys can help me with. First off , even with nothing plugged into the inputs of the receiver ( PSM 200s) there is a prominent hiss. If I turn the volume down on the receiver it quits.

Also , Im kind of surprised at how quickly they distort. I have to keep the gain awfully low on the send and the receiver to keep from hitting the limiter. When I turn the transmitter up high enough to really hear the in ears , the hiss is as loud as the signal. What am I doing wrong here?

Btw , Ive went through the different channels , same result .

• Members

Me and a couple of buddies started up a little cover band to make some extra cash and we decided to all go in ears to keep stage volume down , and for simplicity. I hooked them up today. 4 mixes , ran mono off of the aux sends on my StudioLive. Im having a couple of issues that hopefully you guys can help me with. First off , even with nothing plugged into the inputs of the receiver ( PSM 200s) there is a prominent hiss. If I turn the volume down on the receiver it quits.

Also , Im kind of surprised at how quickly they distort. I have to keep the gain awfully low on the send and the receiver to keep from hitting the limiter. When I turn the transmitter up high enough to really hear the in ears , the hiss is as loud as the signal. What am I doing wrong here?

First off, I have no idea where the hiss may be coming from, as my PSM200s are quiet. As for hitting the limiter, first are you using the xlr input or the ts input? I find I get much better signal level with the xlr. Also, you can get better signal level by connecting a cable (xlr to xlr) from the through connector on the input you are using to the second input and using both input controls. Also make sure you are getting a good seal with the earbuds.

• Members

First off, I have no idea where the hiss may be coming from, as my PSM200s are quiet. As for hitting the limiter, first are you using the xlr input or the ts input? I find I get much better signal level with the xlr. Also, you can get better signal level by connecting a cable (xlr to xlr) from the through connector on the input you are using to the second input and using both input controls. Also make sure you are getting a good seal with the earbuds.

I am using a 1/4" cable from the aux send on the board. No xlr. I will try the patching from the back to the front. The hiss is VERY prominent.

• Members

No hiss in our 200s either. I can't get them to distort because of bulit in limiting. I think you might be overdriving the unit inputs. Lower the output from the board and see what happens. Seriously, the 200s aren't the top of the line but they are dead quiet when no signal is present. I'm thinking you are sending a distorted high noise signal to the IEMs.

• Members

If you are getting hiss with no signal to the in-ears, then it is probably a ground loop. Make sure that the power source is good, and that it is plugged in properly. And make sure the outlet you plugged into is wired correctly. You can get an inexpensive tester that will let you know if there is a wiring problem.

• Members

I am using a 1/4" cable from the aux send on the board. No xlr. I will try the patching from the back to the front. The hiss is VERY prominent.

is this a balanced connection (TRS?)?

It could just be noise inherent in the unbalanced cable. If we're talking a 50ft cable from the board, that's really bad news if it's an unbalanced connection.

• Members

If we're talking a 50ft cable from the board, that's really bad news if it's an unbalanced connection.

If we're talking 50 ft cable from the board, it would be kind of silly to go with a wireless IEM as well...

• Members

is this a balanced connection (TRS?)?

Good point. I believe the StudioLive has balanced auxes. I'm still leaning towards user error in the config to cause the loud hiss and distortion in the PSM200. Like I said, the 200 is not top of the line but we get no hiss from the auxes on our Mixwiz. I would expect the Presonus to be as good or better.

• Members

Your Studiolive should have balanced trs aux outputs. You should be able to run balanced lines into your PSM200s. That should help with both the hiss and the low levels. Convert your aux out lines from 1/4"trs to xlr using either an adapter cable or plug.

• Members

If we're talking 50 ft cable from the board, it would be kind of silly to go with a
wireless
IEM as well...

if the board is at the back of the room and his psm200 box is on the stage, that could easily be more than 50ft

:freak:

• Members

I am using a 2' trs cable to connect the receiver. The hiss comes even without a signal hooked up to the receiver. If I just set the frequency , put the receiver and transmitter volumes at half , the hiss is pretty serious. My first though was a ground loop , so I moved the power for the receiver across the room and the problem is still there. To get my buds loud enough to compete with a reasonably loud backing band , I have to have the transmitter nearly all the way up , so the hiss is crazy loud

• Members

Something is definitely wrong. Is there his when nothing is connected to the transmitter? That really is weird. Did you try all the frequencies?

I can turn the unit on and put the volume of the body pack on full and no real hiss at all. Where is your volume set on the transmitter. Ours generally never gets above 10:00. Are you looking at the PSM like an amp (running all the way up and adjusting the volume from the board)? That might be your problem. Turn the volume control DOWN at the transmitter and try again.

• Members

Something is definitely wrong. Is there his when nothing is connected to the transmitter? That really is weird. Did you try all the frequencies?

I can turn the unit on and put the volume of the body pack on full and no real hiss at all. Where is your volume set on the transmitter. Ours generally never gets above 10:00. Are you looking at the PSM like an amp (running all the way up and adjusting the volume from the board)? That might be your problem. Turn the volume control DOWN at the transmitter and try again.

If I have the transmitter at 10 o clock , once the volume on the bodypack gets over noon , its unbearable

• Members

Are the aux sends pre-fader or post fader? If post fader, maybe you are overdriving the channel which would cause the hiss. For that matter, if your channel trim is too high, you maybe overdriving the channel if it is pre-fader. I'm not familiar with your board, but you may want to consider looking at this.

• Members

You need to set your levels to the transmitter first. Listen via the headphone jack on the transmitter and adjust a mix. You should not clip the input to the transmitter, but you should not send a quiet signal, either. Do not eat up all of your headroom with bass.

After you get a good mix, then turn up your receiver to your required level.

If your signal is truly balanced (check cables) and you've set levels properly and you are still getting too much hiss, there is something wrong with the unit or you have other operational problems.

There are documented problems with some IEM systems allowing VHF to the receiver from Aviom product. This is not your situation, however, you could try an adaptor cable with a .018 uF, 50vDC capacitor between the tip and sleeve of your TRS cable and see if that helps.

Good luck.

• Members

Is there an input sensitivity setting on the transmitter? I only mention it because you said you can't turn up your aux sends very high. If there is a setting for it, try adjusting it so that you can send a good bit of signal from the aux.

• Members

Is there an input sensitivity setting on the transmitter? I only mention it because you said you can't turn up your aux sends very high. If there is a setting for it, try adjusting it so that you can send a good bit of signal from the aux.

I was ready to throw my recently aquired used Sennheiser System in the trash until I read the manual again and realized that I did have my sensitivity setting too high.

Dega

Archived