Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Any experience with OSP snakes?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad the vocalist acted like a jerk.

do tell, i love a good jerk singer story
    <div class="signaturecontainer">band status - &quot;its complicated&quot;</div>

Comment

We use a Proco Stagemaster snake and with great care haven't haed any aproblems with it. The only bummer about this thinkg is taht there is no wire mesh to hold the fantail up and make it more ruggesd but we are quite cautious with this snake.

That's too bad, the Stagemaster has to be one of the biggest POS products ever built. The cable is good quality but the box and fantail connectors are the worst of the worst quality. IDC connections and the box connectors are molded in groups of 4 that are also IDC and slide into extrusions. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Totall waste of money IMO.

Comment

Ive been using a ProCo snake that i got on Craigslist for the last year with no problems. I replaced the 1/4" returns with XLR's thats been about it. However I do baby it so who knows. Its not a stagemaster but its several years old. Its a 24-8 with strain relef and Neutrik connectors. And the box end has a few blank panels for what look like a pair of EDAC connectors. Cant complain for 100.00 Now im going to have to find out the model.

Is the rest of ProCo's stuff besides there entry level products up to par ?

Comment

Its not a stagemaster but its several years old. Its a 24-8 with strain relef and Neutrik connectors. And the box end has a few blank panels for what look like a pair of EDAC connectors. Cant complain for 100.00 Now im going to have to find out the model.

Is the rest of ProCo's stuff besides there entry level products up to par ?

BIG difference.

ProCo makes some very nice stuff.

Comment

I was gonna say that I have a PROCo roadmaster 24/8 that I bought off a friend that was getting divorced for $300. The thing is built like a tank (and weighs about half as much) and has been abused for at least 6 years. All Neutric connectors, but I can't say who's cable is used in it. I wish I had 3 of them as they are rented pretty regularly and have paid me back my initial investment about 10 times over.

Comment

Roadmaster is twice (or more) the price. It's a good product.

Comment

We'll be stepping up to EWI on the next purchase. It's going to be long and probably on a reel if there is such an animal as a split reel snake. We've used the SM for two years now and really haven't had any problems. I just know we need to take good care and not to be rough on the sucker.

Comment

Just as an update. I purchased my 12x4 OSP snake about a year ago and now 2 sends and 1 return are inoperable. I have extra jacks for the sends so I will replace, assuming its not the wire. I've already budgeted money to buy a 16/4 reel snake from EWI or some such. Just waiting for this one to die even more.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Member of the Mesa/Boogie Mob<br />
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  <a href="http://www.theregularsri.com" target="_blank">The Regulars</a></div>

Comment

Just as an update. I purchased my 12x4 OSP snake about a year ago and now 2 sends and 1 return are inoperable. I have extra jacks for the sends so I will replace, assuming its not the wire. I've already budgeted money to buy a 16/4 reel snake from EWI or some such. Just waiting for this one to die even more.

Not such a great deal after all eh? It often turns out this way unfortunately.

Comment

Not such a great deal after all eh? It often turns out this way unfortunately.

Mebbe

For $150 and not knowing how long my band was going to last at that point, it was a decent deal. I'd have liked to it last longer, and I can still use it for a while, I only need about 9 of the sends and 2 of the returns. But not knowing if the whole thing will crap out isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Buy once cry once! Since this purchase I've followed that mantra, and it is obviously worth it.
                      <br />
                      <br />

Comment

Confidence in the reliability of a product, especially when you are standing up on stage in front of everybody, is a major deal IMO.

Comment

Most snakes lives are dependent on how you take care of them. There is no excuse for letting the ends get tangled up. Get a tom case to keep it in and roll it up immediately after use. Keep the fan ends plugged into the box when not in use. I have a 12x4 OSP that has lasted me several years with no problems.

(Just sayin')

Comment

Most snakes lives are dependent on how you take care of them. There is no excuse for letting the ends get tangled up. Get a tom case to keep it in and roll it up immediately after use. Keep the fan ends plugged into the box when not in use. I have a 12x4 OSP that has lasted me several years with no problems.

(Just sayin')

This may be true with a higher quality product, but at the bottom end of things normal useage is often more than the lower quality products can handle. Otherwise there wouldn't need to be a higher quality product in the market eh?

I expect at least 1000 shows out of a sbake before major maintenance or rebuild. I have some snakes that have 2 or 3 thousand shows on them, and I have a problem with a snake channel maybe once out of 7 or 8 hundred shows. This is the kind of reliability I need and am willing to pay for it because in the long run it's a bargain.

Comment

so EWI snakes are good right? I think I'll get a 16x4 reel if it's not going to break the bank.
                              <br />
                              <br />

Comment

I can't find anything about a warranty on OSP... Whirlwind has a 5 year warranty on their Medusa snakes that I've never had to use (6 snakes). Isn't it funny how as the quality goes down, the warranty shrinks and vice-versa?
                                <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;A performer without techs is standing naked, on a dark stage, and no one can hear them. A tech without a performer... has marketable skills.&quot;</div>

Comment

Working...
                                X