Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After watching some of the OP's videos a compressor will be of no help...

The biggest problem I see is no dynamics.....meaning, the band is playing at a constant 10+ level even when the vocals are trying to do something softer.

Either change to screamo style vocals through out, or have the band learn to change intensity level with your vocals.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/VP...54678147927641

Comment

I was forced to use a compressor on live vocals after a certain singer would scream "Yeehaw!" at random into his mic and blew a set of my horn drivers once. The compression keeps his vocal from clipping my power amps.

Comment

We use some compression on vocals and I like my mic level a bit higher than everything else in the mix. Screams just don't sound as good without it (this weekend's gig is a good example) and a lot of the songs we do go from whispers to talking to screaming to singing. I have to play guitar too and it definitely helps so I can move around a lot more. With the mic low and zero compression I have to worry more about volume and projection so everything else suffers a bit.

My rig:
        Edwards ELP-112LTS/RE

Butler Silver Hammer
        ISP Vector SL
        Kafel 412

List of Over 40+ Good Deals on HC!!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen
          View Post

I was forced to use a compressor on live vocals after a certain singer would scream "Yeehaw!" at random into his mic and blew a set of my horn drivers once. The compression keeps his vocal from clipping my power amps.

... or use properly sized power amps with limiters, and set your gain structure appropriately to accomodate such screaming. System processing, properly set, is another similar approach.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

"Just because" I have dynamics on all channels with one of my digital mixers I set up ~8:1 limiters on all the vocal channels to tame the occasional blast and/or surprise "guest" screamer or harp player. I strive for only seeing gain reduction on these unusual SPL excursions.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger
              View Post

"Just because" I have dynamics on all channels with one of my digital mixers I set up ~8:1 limiters on all the vocal channels to tame the occasional blast and/or surprise "guest" screamer or harp player. I strive for only seeing gain reduction on these unusual SPL excursions.

Hopefully you have adequate input headroom from which to subtract this gain reduction from.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse
                View Post

Hopefully you have adequate input headroom from which to subtract this gain reduction from.

Yep - I run the thresholds on the DL1608 at -17db, signals are usually peaking just below that. I haven't checked out what happens when you overdrive the pre's on that yet - on my Phonic digital mixer the pre's soft clip before the A/D converters run out of range which is kind of cool. I think most digital mixers just over-range the A/D's = yuck.

Comment

Working...
                X