No announcement yet.

Voice Over jobs

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice Over jobs

The wife has developed an interest in doing VO's. She has experience as a radio announcer and event MC. Where does a person find such work? This might require me to invest in more mics----------damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

You need to hook up with Ed Victor - the BIG Gun! Here's a link to one of his YouTube vids. There's a pantload of 'em - just search YouTube for his user name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP8SZ_i18OM
    The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
    www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
    Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
    Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm Williams
      View Post

The wife has developed an interest in doing VO's. She has experience as a radio announcer and event MC. Where does a person find such work? This might require me to invest in more mics----------damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. What a shame.

Tomm, there's probably a "broadcast" forum over at Gearslutz, Maybe someone there has an idea or two.

Aside from mics, I think you'll also be looking into isolation booths, and recording equipment. Interesting stuff.
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
        View Post

You need to hook up with Ed Victor - the BIG Gun!

James Hetfield??

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix
          View Post

James Hetfield??

Naw ... Ed Victor ... he's a voice over guy that used to play drums with one of my projects. He's all over the country doing voice work - in addition to his own VO work - he has done a bunch of YouTube vids with "the BIG Gun!" byline discussing various aspects of the "Voice Over" game. Here's a link to his website: http://www.edvictorvo.com/

Helluva nice guy ... and a riot to work with!
          The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
          www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
          Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
          Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

Does your wife still have contacts from her radio job?
            Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note
              View Post

Does your wife still have contacts from her radio job?

Yes but it was a company that didn't pay much, which I understand seems common in small-town communications. They owned stations in about 4 N.CA towns, nothing big.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

View Post

Yes but it was a company that didn't pay much, which I understand seems common in small-town communications. They owned stations in about 4 N.CA towns, nothing big.

I was just wondering if someone at the station might know where these voice-over projects are produced. I'd imagine that these companies would be in search for many types and styles of voice as well; anything from public announcements for commercial and public service institutions, to radio/TV commercials, to animated film production.

When I think of voice-overs, I generally think of folks like those mellow-voiced folks who do PBS broadcast documentaries, or radio commercials, but after thinking about it for a bit, what better example could I come up with than Mel Blanc. I believe he was the voice of something like 40 characters.
                Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

Comment

Casting agencies. I work for a video game developer and all of ours are handled through talent agencies. You could also contact studios in your area who produce jingles and ask who they use.

And, you can check out http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/index.php

I wouldn't bother investing in more microphones unless your wife's career gets going AND she wants to produce final product at home. Otherwise, demos and auditions can be done with very modest equipment. How you use your gear is more important than what you use.

-Dan.
                  Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

View Post

Yes, I'm sure you'll need an extensive collection of mics you've always wanted in order to help her get started!

On a slightly more serious note- I had a small recording studio doing VOs years ago. Some of the take-aways from being on the control side of the mic was that there's no substitute for having a great voice. People with a "Golden Voice" were incredibly easy to record- it didn't matter as much which mic I used, I could get a great recording; it helped that these people were oftentimes experienced and could read with good voice inflections, expression, and rarely stumbled over the text. On the other hand, with some people I could experiment with a lot of different mics, eq, etc., and still not be satisfied.

The other thing that can help a lot, esp. for a female voice (there's a lot of rich qualities that come out with the deeper voices), is to learn mic technique. I discovered long ago that the nasal, somewhat flat quality of my speaking voice is in large part due to the way I project it. My perception is I wouldn't be heard otherwise, so I project my voice out, which has the effect of accentuating the nasal qualities and makes for a compressed, "flat" sounding voice. Whereas when I'm relaxed and not trying so hard to be heard, my voice is actually kinda nice, at least acceptable.

By putting on a set of headphones and playing with the proximity effect of the mic, she'll find it effortless to be heard and have the full expression of her voice even when she whispers- and what a revelation that can be! The proximity effect, which boosts the bass when you move within an inch or so of the mic, is different with every mic and can work wonders (used in moderation). All of which means in essence finding the full dynamic range of your voice, which starts out alot quieter and softer than most of us realize (whether you're using the proximity effect or not), 'cause we're so busy projecting our voices in order to be heard; this also helps alot with lessening any nasal qualities. Developing the whisper voice and finding the continuum all the way from that to a singsongy chant voice to a soft, delicately articulated speaking voice at least gives you access to that effortless end of the spectrum. Getting loud, edgy, raging vocals out needs a different approach! I'm sure you've heard the occaisional female radio announcer who's mastered this, and it sounds just delicious, like you're right there with her.

In terms of mics, I'd say get some good headphones and have her try out as many mics as possible using the techniques in the above paragraph until she finds one or two that she likes (it is after all a lot about personal perception, and if you sound good to yourself you're more likely to feel confident in expressing yourself; that and the female ear hears a bit differently than the male ear). That way when she goes to a studio for a session, it's something she can at least offer up and know that she'll sound good with, and having a good set of headphones never hurts; they can be very revealing and personal the way they open up sound.

No particular advice on where to find the jobs. The people that I knew made good money at it, but like a lot of freelancer work, it was rarely steady. The best I can offer up is to contact people who record and produce VOs and build up a relationship with them, and be ready to be in it for the long haul. Or search out people doing creative projects and see if there's a fit.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by IsildursBane
                      View Post

Casting agencies. I work for a video game developer and all of ours are handled through talent agencies. You could also contact studios in your area who produce jingles and ask who they use.

^^^THIS^^^
                      Time is a great healer but a lousy beautician.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Randyman
                        View Post

People with a "Golden Voice" were incredibly easy to record- it didn't matter as much which mic I used, I could get a great recording; it helped that these people were oftentimes experienced and could read with good voice inflections, expression, and rarely stumbled over the text. On the other hand, with some people I could experiment with a lot of different mics, eq, etc., and still not be satisfied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPFvLUWkzs
                        Time is a great healer but a lousy beautician.

Comment

With a face like that he's best placed behind a microphone! Yeah, great voice, obviously knows his standard bylines, and seems to have a friendly voice persona.

Comment

post on things like odesk, elance, fiverr to get the ball rolling. it might be worth contacting big companies (like airlines) and asking if they have a tendering process or the odd VO recorded. Get the word out there and the work should start to come in!
                            Improve your guitar playing for as little as 99cents - www.ashleyjsaunders.com** 6 New books for 2013!! **

Comment

This is what I do for a living.

Check out the Neumann TLM-103. It gets dogged for music recording, but it's great for VO. A big plus for this mic is its super-hot output, which allows you to keep the gain down on less than great pres. A great deal at around $650, used.

Also, look into Sony Soundforge, as your recording platform. Not really any other competition and they just rolled out a Mac version, finally.

MG
                              "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

Working...
                              X