No announcement yet.

"Stupid stories!"

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrKnobs
    When an address doesn't show up on MapQuest you should start to worry.

Terry D.

Screw MapQuest. I and I don't know how many other people I know have had that stupid thing give bogus directions. I drove around Philly for 3 hours trying to find the Electric Factory once, because MapQuest sent me to the other side of town. (only the drunk guy knew where it was, and he was too sloshed to be able to much more than point in a general direction)

Use Expedia.com.

-Dan.
    Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

• Speaking of ammonia.

Last year two of my kids and I went to a white water kanoeing class. We put in right next to an Ocean Spray plant. Ocean Spray is billion+ juice company with a big emphasis on health.

So we fight the whitewater all day (nothing dry left on yours truly) and finally drive back to the put-in point to retrieve the remaining cars. Being pretty pooped at this point, getting home to hot shower and food seemed like a very attractive propostion. But then we encounter law enforcement in large mannitudes. As it turned out the Ocean Spray plant had a major ammonia leak and the cops had evacuated several miles around the plant. Our cars, infortunately, were right in there and the cops simply said "No" (for good reason).

We had to wait several more hours, until the cloud had dispersed enough, so we could retrieve the cars. I still don't know why they need massive amount of ammonia in a juice plant, but I don't think that we'll ever have Ocean Spray again.

Comment

• Originally posted by IsildursBane

Screw MapQuest. I and I don't know how many other people I know have had that stupid thing give bogus directions. I drove around Philly for 3 hours trying to find the Electric Factory once, because MapQuest sent me to the other side of town. (only the drunk guy knew where it was, and he was too sloshed to be able to much more than point in a general direction)

Use Expedia.com.

-Dan.

Don't feel bad. I've lived in the area 8 years and still don't know where the Electric Factory is. I've been lost here so many times I'm surprised I'm ever home.
        "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

• Originally posted by boseengineer
          Speaking of ammonia.

We had to wait several more hours, until the cloud had dispersed enough, so we could retrieve the cars. I still don't know why they need massive amount of ammonia in a juice plant, but I don't think that we'll ever have Ocean Spray again.

Process refrigeration... they have to cool the juice (quickly) after pasturization. They probably exchange heat with the ocean or river water via a cooling water loop on the amonia condensing side.

(I'm an ag. engineer too)
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

• I went to school in Lawrence KS, and there's a big fertilizer plant on the east end of town. I used to ride my bike over there to work out during college. Anyway, depending on the winds, there was a constant ammonia stink coming off of the plant. There were very few homes in the path (mostly farm land) but for about a 3 mile stretch it smelled like a freshly-cleaned bathroom. Not particularly nice when you're huffing and puffing trying to get some exercise. Yuck.
            OS is kind of like imaginary numbers-- something theoretically useful, but who doesn't acually exist.

Only in OS's case, instead of generating recursive fractals, it's simply that the mass of **************** which fills him is greater than the mass of a similar, hypothetical mass of **************** at 0 degrees Kelvin.

I call this phenominon "dark ****************," and while it is useful to explain OS, dark **************** violates a number of laws we know about matter.

-scarecrowbob, 1/6/07

Comment

• Originally posted by agedhorse

Process refrigeration... they have to cool the juice (quickly) after pasturization. They probably exchange heat with the ocean or river water via a cooling water loop on the amonia condensing side.

(I'm an ag. engineer too)

Makes sense. I just hope they keep the juice and the coolants apart

Comment

• Originally posted by Craigv

Don't feel bad. I've lived in the area 8 years and still don't know where the Electric Factory is. I've been lost here so many times I'm surprised I'm ever home.

It's on the northeast side of town. I don't remember the name of the street, but it's basically just an alley.

About a year after the concert, I was looking at the ticket from that night, and realized that right on the front of the ticket it says "between Callohill and Spring Garden," which were very clearly marked on my map.

-Dan.
                Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

• STICKY DIS ****************!! NOW!!
                  "Fear: Won't keep you from dying but sure as hell keep you from living!"

How much wood could the wood slapper whack off jack if the wood jacker spank off could shaft wood?

GEAR

Gibson SG STD HC
                  Marshall JVM 205H
                  Clavia Nord Lead 2x
                  Roland SH 101
                  MacPro with Fireface 400 running Ableton Live 8
                  Effects 'n pedals 'n whatnot
                  Sometimes use of additional whatnot

Comment

OK, here's a couple of risky stories to tell. It's really two separate stories, but I suddenly realized they're connected as I told them over on Open Jam. I hope Mike G. doesn't rat me out for this, all these stories are about real events that happened to real people, and the internet has made the world a smaller place!

Who me? I have not seen, heard, or experienced anything like this in my life. Just don't ask me to take a poly.

MikeG
                    now working for the govt.
                    MikeG
                    SA.BM59@yahoo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by grimaila

Who me? I have not seen, heard, or experienced anything like this in my life. Just don't ask me to take a poly.

MikeG
                      now working for the govt.

Hey bro -

Glad to see you're back on your feet after the political BS.

Whose government are you working for?

T.
                      Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Whose government are you working for?

Ours.... of course

MikeG
                        MikeG
                        SA.BM59@yahoo.com

Comment

• bump
                          "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were´╗┐ and say why not."-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Well...i do remember one other stupid sound realated thing I have done...I registerd on the Harmony Centeral User Forums.

*DOH*

C++ for dummies:
                            do.this()
                            do.that()
                            on.error(
                            blame.microsoft())

Comment

• Then get outta here!

Comment

• I've been riding and training horses for a long time, like 35+ years... but feels like an eternity. I have worked with a good friend and well known movie stunt rider from the 1940's - 1970's who retired about 10 years ago from the stunt business. He shall remain un-named, but suffice to say that you have all seen and admired his work many times. I was (and still am) a technical support engineer for in the movie industry part time, and we met and became friends almost 20 years ago.

About 10 years ago, there was a movie shoot in our area, again for a major motion picture, and his friends were working the second unit production shoot. They were staying at a (very nice) Hyatt hotel in a major downtown city... right downtown. He wanted to visit his buddies, but he had his horse in the trailer behind his truck. He figured that nobody would mind if his horse (one of his trick horses) came along for the visit... on the third floor, up the freight elevator etc. Nobody in the production minded, hell they didn't even notice but the security cameras caught us walking down the hall with a freekin' horse! Security came up and demanded to know what the damn horse was doing in their hotel. Without missing a beat, they all replied almost in unison "what horse?" I'm damn lucky I didn't go to jail that night!

I attached a photo of how we finish a horse that we are doing basic breaking and training. When the client asks if their horse is broke, a photo is worth a thousand words.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Working...
                                X