Just the way things go I guess

• Members

I'm fairly active on Linkedin and have a number of connections. One of them is a female country artist who was one of the biggest names of the 80's. (I'm learning some people don't like to be named). I recently did a country show for a young girl from New Mexico who hopes to be a star and mentioned this singer to her...................didn't have a clue who I was talking about. I was flabbergasted. This lady was as big as anybody in country entertainment in her time and still performs in her late 60's (maybe 70 by now?)The world is slipping by way too damn fast.

• Members

I gave up trying to figure it all out any more. I have a 17 year old next door to me that I started giving guitar lessons to and he cuts my grass in return. When he came over to ask about doing this deal, I asked him what bands he wanted to learn music from.

U2? Who is that?

Matchbox Twenty? Never heard of them!

Maroon 5? What do they do?

It just went on like this. I finally just said "if you don't like any music your friends are listening to, what songs DO you want to learn? His reply "Beatles songs, all of them. Maybe some Thin Lizzy. I like Hendrix,  and some Ozzy." He didn't know anybody other kids listen to, and he knew everybody I grew up listening to, and I am 42 years older than he is. 

I don't get it.

• Members

Ok... this dumbfounds me as well.

The vanity band I play in, we recently added a Kris Kristofferson tune to our repertoire:  "Help Me Make it Through the Night".  As per usual, the instigator sent out an e-mail with samples to get a consensusThe consensus from the group was 3 yeses and 2 ???  The two ??? came from our 50 yo. chick singer and our 40 something drummerI'd instigated the song... our gal lead singer and drummer had "NEVER HEARD OF THE SONG"... no clue what us 3 old dudes were referencingWhen they hit me with the cow looking at a new gate reception to my suggestion, I said:  "You've gotta be kiddingKicking out "Help me make it through your nightie" is like singing "Happy Birthday"... "Who couldn't know that old stand-by???"...  They responded with more looking at me like a cow looking at a new gate... total "deer in the headlights look".

• Members

Axisplayer wrote:

what songs DO you want to learn? His reply "Beatles songs, all of them. Maybe some Thin Lizzy. I like Hendrix,  and some Ozzy." He didn't know anybody other kids listen to, and he knew everybody I grew up listening to, and I am 42 years older than he is. 

I don't get it.

Stew:  If you haven't already suggested:

Beatles:  "I Want You"

Ozzy: (Geeze, where to start and stop?)... how about "Fairies Wear Boots"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvuI8d57N9I

And anything offa Live Evil.

And... I dunno... some less or more sophisticated stuff (depending on your perspective):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oLC7lbOoUc

Lots of good stuff out there before the days of lead kick.

• Members

At the risk of pissing off country music fans here.. isn't this just a natural result of a music genre that has always needed rapid turnover to stay fresh and in the charts?

In more "traditional" genres that respect the roots, like say, Bluegrass music, nobody forgets who Bill Monroe is. Nobody who plays Blues forgets (I hope?) the roots with Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, and all the rest.

If you're going to play in a more commercial, "pop" style of music that requires mass acceptance, then you have to live by the charts and popularity of the day, and die (or at least, be forgotten) by that same process. 

But what do I know... I play in "Celtic" bands these days, where most of the repertoire is a few hundred years old, and half the tunes don't have names because they've been forgotten. But the melodies are still killer tunes.

• Members

I can tell you from my line of work (see sig) that there is a shift in the lexicon of the general public vs musicians. It can be hard to tell musicians to play stuff that's been very commercially successful and in the flip side it's hard to get joe six-pack to care about B-sides or one hit wonders.

• Members

Axisplayer wrote:

I gave up trying to figure it all out any more. I have a 17 year old next door to me that I started giving guitar lessons to and he cuts my grass in return. When he came over to ask about doing this deal, I asked him what bands he wanted to learn music from.

U2? Who is that?

Matchbox Twenty? Never heard of them!

Maroon 5? What do they do?

It just went on like this. I finally just said "if you don't like any music your friends are listening to, what songs DO you want to learn? His reply "Beatles songs, all of them. Maybe some Thin Lizzy. I like Hendrix,  and some Ozzy." He didn't know anybody other kids listen to, and he knew everybody I grew up listening to, and I am 42 years older than he is. 

I don't get it.

Makes sense to me. There are not many "media outlets" playing old Matchbox Twenty or older Maroon 5 stuff. But, I can find The Beatles and Hendrix, Thin Lizzy and Ozzy easily on the radio. Plus, I think a lot of kids today learn songs from games like Guitar Hero. . . no Matchbox Twenty there, I don't believe.

• Members

Axisplayer wrote:

...His reply "Beatles songs, all of them. Maybe some Thin Lizzy. I like Hendrix,  and some Ozzy." 

... and kudos to Guitar Hero, RockBand, etc. for exposing new generations to the classics.

I had two cool posters on the wall of my bedroom back in HS that traced then current artists back to their roots... The Family Tree of British Rock and The Family Tree of American Rock. I found the images online, of course... enjoy. These served me well as I went on my personal journey back through time and music as an adolescent musician and fan of music.

• Members

Reson8tor wrote:

At the risk of pissing off country music fans here.. isn't this just a natural result of a music genre that has always needed rapid turnover to stay fresh and in the charts?

People listen to what the tv tells them is cool. Not even the radio, the TV. country music is the worst for this kind of thing. It's such a processed and force-fed pop genre that's marketed under the guise of "real music".

I realize that most normal people aren't exactly "music fans" but here's how a typical conversation with people will usually go. Let's say I'm out on a date with a pretty girl about my age.

me: you a fan of music?

her: yeah, I LOVE music! I'm a country girl myself

me: oh? what kind of stuff you listen to? I like george jones, randy travis and clint black

her: haha who are they? I like REAL country like jason aldean, luke bryan and sugarland.

the rest of the date usually goes downhill from there

• Members

...and nobody knows who Tom Waits is, though he's incredibly influential.

But I think it's great that there's so much music out that almost nobody can keep track of it. It means that there's plenty of wonderful music out there for me to discover, whether it is written next year or was written before I was born.

• Members

Axisplayer wrote:

His reply "Beatles songs, all of them. Maybe some Thin Lizzy. I like Hendrix,  and some Ozzy." He didn't know anybody other kids listen to, and he knew everybody I grew up listening to, and I am 42 years older than he is. 

I don't get it.

I was playing a pool party a couple of years ago and some teenage girls were looking over my songlist and making requests. One of them says "You know Dancing In the Moonlight? I love that song! Play that one." I asked how she even knew that song, if some young band had recently done a cover of it or something.

Her reply? "It's on my Mom's iPod"

• Members

Even Lego is all spoon fed. As a kid we got random sets, and then you could build whatever you wanted. Now the sets are so specific, all they can do is build a specific car or action figure.

When I buy Lego for my nephew, we both put it together then he just plays with it and puts it with all the other "Lego guys" he had.

We would start with a suitcase full of parts and build whatever we thought up.

I remember playing army in the late 70's I was 9 or 10. I remember crawling around in the bush and hiding. I looked down and I was wearing purple bell bottom cords. I thought to myself "man, no one would EVER fight in a war wearing pants like these"

lol

Archived