What's in your travel & bigger show kit? Here's a look at mine.

• Members

After such a warm welcome from the community here following my other video post, I've come back for more!

I've always enjoyed the 'show me your kit' threads that go around from time to time, so here I'm taking a look at what's in my pelican right now. I'd love to hear what you're carrying, what you've stopped carrying, what you can't live without and how you prepare for bigger shows and travel dates.

Have a safe weekend out there on gigs, it's going to be a busy one for me for sure!

• Members

I only do a handful of briefcase gigs a year and they are on a very low pro level, where I'm the only tech there. Most of my sound gigs are for bands, either ones I am playing in, or bands I personally know. In that case, I am bringing everything anyway. For the briefcase gigs, I've found that carrying IEC cables, batteries, a guitar cable, even strings and picks, can turn me into the hero of the day. I've even brought clothespegs for music stands outdoors.

Beyond band rescue stuff, I like to carry a meter that can quickly determine the presence of AC, and one of those cheap Home Depot ground... detectors. I also like to carry a USB charger and an iPod for break music (along with several 1/8: to whatever cables).

Electricians tape when I have to wrap cables that have no ties - like I said, low production gigs! Besides gaff, I like to bring duct tape for the musos. I don't want them using my gaff. I also carry 1' or smaller, white, green and pink gaff for marking stairs, walkways and so on. And board tape of course.

I use my phone for my SPL and RTA - like I said low pro :)

I don't carry a poncho but I will carry garbage bags. They can double as a poncho or speaker covers.

The USB stick is a good idea IMO. I've never had call for one but they're so small and cheap, why not bring one.

Not a complete list by any means, but just stuff I was thinking of.

• Members

Some things I've found are worth it to me to make sure I've packed along for "long days":

1) A really nice high stool, that's high enough to put me at comfortable board height... I'm at relatively the same height sitting on the stool as I am standing.

2) A change of clothes: Couple extra shirts, extra pair of socks and pants.

3) A ditty bag of tooth brush & paste, toilet paper, deodorant, handiwipes, sun screen, etc...

4) A rack of bottled water and a lunch box of well chosen food stuffs.

5) Binoculars (These have saved me countless trips through a crowd to get to the stage to check on "something".)

6) A good sun shade hat and good sunglasses.

• Members

Shaster. Agreed the 1/8" to something would have saved me a lot of grief at a show last summer (why does everyone carry their music on their phone (Sometimes they get calls and texts :-))?

OT How many times have you had a CD player spec'd for a show and the client shows up with a data disk with some odd codec files on it. "But it played fine in my laptop" ;-). I'm getting an outboard USB optical drive for my netbook (smaller than carrying around a laptop and can run files from a thumb drive as well).

Audiopile. I carry a small 3X in my pocket at all times (nothing great - about the size of a jewelers loupe (20 mm objective) in a film canister). It's often handy even while not doing audio.

• Members
Since my primary mix position was over 100' from the stage, binoculars are a great accessory for double-checking things... far more useful than a temperature or humidity probe (in the real world anyway).

I've worked more then a handful of jobs where we had a spotting scope on a tripod at FOH. It's a standard issue item with anyone who does pro video work (to check focus at a distance). Comes in really handy!

• Members
Shaster. Agreed the 1/8" to something would have saved me a lot of grief at a show last summer (why does everyone carry their music on their phone (Sometimes they get calls and texts :-))?

OT How many times have you had a CD player spec'd for a show and the client shows up with a data disk with some odd codec files on it. "But it played fine in my laptop" ;-). I'm getting an outboard USB optical drive for my netbook (smaller than carrying around a laptop and can run files from a thumb drive as well).

I believe that many folks think they're carrying their phone on their music player! I personally like to carry a separate music device for the reasons you described, and for the fact that I don't want my phone just lying around.

As for files that don't play... how many times? It seems like all the time. I've got a little netbook myself, and just might look into your idea. As you know, when the files won't play, somehow it's always the techs fault :(

• Members

Phone is only a back-up to the back-up. It's NOT a primary audio device.

Funny story, this is a community event in a larger venue and the guy in charge brings me music for the show at the last minute (I've been hounding him all day) and it's on his smart phone. Ugh, I'm already grumpy due to the nature of the show, I plug his phone in, he turns it on and what do you think shows up on the screen but a naked photo of he and what I presume to be his boyfriend/husband. There are things that just can't be unseen.

• Members
Has anybody else ever considered starting a side-business selling 9V batteries at gigs?
Local dollar store sells the "Heavy Duty" ones two for a buck. Back in the day when most pedals were run on battery I found that the alkaline didn't outlast the cheapies as most died from being left on, not from normal usage. OTOH as most of you know you can't use non-alkaline in wireless transmitters for more than an hour or so :( .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

> ATH-m50 headphones w/ 1/4" adapter

> 1/8" to stereo 1/4" TS cable

> 1/4" TRS to XLR male cable

> XLR female to XLR female cable

> ipad + charger (remote control for X32/M32 mostly, entertainment during corporate gigs)

> ipod classic w/ generic break music + charger

> a shure mic clip

> low-power LED flashlight

> electrician's tape

> small utility knife (when I'm not traveling on planes)

> 1 roll each of black and yellow gaff tape

> probably a hundred sharpies (they always go missing)

> a simple plug-in circuit tester

> a class III multimeter

> 25W weller soldering iron, flux core solder

also playing cards, bic lighter, a hacky sack, pepto bismol or immodium, aspirin

Archived