Hiring players vs. finding traditional band mates for a Solo Artist

christinerage

• Members

Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum…

I’m a solo musician and am at the stage where I need to put together players to back me. I’m totally new at this, I’ve been in bands before in college years ago as a rhythm guitar player, but never was a solo vocalist/composer artist like I am today. I’m not looking forward to the arduous task of finding, auditioning, hiring/firing, managing and working with standard band members. When I say “standard” I mean band members that don’t get paid until the band does a paid gig. I have no plans to become a "band" and will be establishing a legal DBA/LLC and only will employ players.

When I lived in Nashville several years ago, I believe (however, correct me if I am wrong please) that a lot of the young artists that showed up to town hired their players to back them. You saw the same ones playing for various artists, so I assume these were “freelance” players who bounced gig to gig as such is the industry of Nashville.

I am considering hiring players rather than finding “standard” band mates. I want players who are good enough to need one practice then do the gig. I know it may be expensive, but my logic is you pay no matter what choice you make; either in time and frustration, or in their stipend for the performance.

Is this how professional solo musicians handle bands? Is this a standard practice or do most solo musicians who are trying to get somewhere actually try to put together “standard” bands rather than hired guns? If it is, do you have tips or advice on keeping prices down?

Thanks for your input!

• Moderators

Is this how professional solo musicians handle bands? Is this a standard practice or do most solo musicians who are trying to get somewhere actually try to put together “standard” bands rather than hired guns? If it is, do you have tips or advice on keeping prices down?

Thanks for your input!

yes and no...

Depending on where you are, 'freelance' musicians can get expensive.

What are you looking for? A rhythm section? A second guitarist or keyboard player? Both? All of the Above?

I use occasional freelancers for rhythm section on special gigs based on my solo act. Depending on the gig, I will typically pay them $100 each. But I prefer to have a set band (I do, actually, which is separate and different from my solo act).

The advantage to a regular band: you know them, what they are good at, and how they work together. You develop a rapport, camaeraderie and have a real team behind you. You can pool resources, like PA parts, monitors, vehicles, etc.

The advantage to hired guns: easily replaced if you didn't feel they came though for you; one rehearsal and assuming the material is unchanged, you can rehire them repeatedly.

Keeping prices down? Yeah, but...treat the hired guns the way you would want to be treated. Remember, you get what you pay for...and you also can wind up dealing with attitude issues, egos, drunks, drug problems...I've worked as a hired gun on and off for decades....I've seen some wild and weird stuff.

A few years back I was hired as one of two guitarists...the other guy shows up and says, 'oh, are you here to play rhythm? Good, that makes my gig easier' Then he proceeded to over play everything. I was hired back by the same leader, he was not...

Another time, the bassist on a pickup gig showed up, set up and went straight to the bar. By the second set, he was bombed.

• Members

My brother-in-law does the "club date" thing. He is an old-school trumpet player (and an excellent one at that), he works for many different leaders, and when he books gigs he hires a lot of the same musicians that the other leaders hire.

It seems to be a hang-over from the old days where the musicians hung out at the union hall and waited for someone to need what they do.

So my Bro-in-law works with dozens of musicians who all know the same songs, all can do arrangements on the spot, and all work with each other.

I've never done this, I've always been in set bands, and I don't know if it will work in your area. But at least I know it is being done.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I suppose it might depend on where you are. I live in Vancouver BC. I do solo, duos and so on, but I'm also one of those guys that gets hired for one off projects, and I also hire freelancers for my own gigs. In my city, there is no shortage of really good players who could either read charts and/or fake the tunes with no problem. They don't cost much more than a hobby player, who would take ages to learn and perfect material.

So, I know solo guys (or band leaders) that use hired guns, and I also know solo guys that use "standard" players. The beauty of hired guns is that they usually do as they're told, show up on time, are quick studies, and can be used for any future studio projects you might have. You won't find much bickering.... in guys/gals that are there to get the job done. They also won't get annoyed if you want to do six months of solo gigs without them.

I guess the downside to freelance musos is that you can't get the level of loyalty you might get with "standard" players. If you don't need a high level of commitment, and you can get a few different players to cover your situation in the event someone is busy, I say that's the way to go.

I personally use three to four different bass, drum and keyboard players for my various projects - it works for me. I normally won't even rehearse a project because I have faith in the people I use, and I'm comfortable leading a band. I also have charts (in binders) for most of my tunes. Oddly enough, the guys I work with rarely ever need the charts YMMV, especially if you're doing originals.

BTW there's also the possibility of getting a right hand man/woman freelancer. Maybe you pay them a bit more or hire them to write your charts, or use them on some other gigs. This is quite common in my parts, and I myself have been hired in this capacity. You then get some commitment, without the drama of a band situation.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your project. something...

Archived