Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beat Kangz of Comedy - epic fail?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the Beat Thang saga along with the other threads here are keeping me pretty well entertained at work. Aside from that, there's some real substance here.

I think overall its a good case study of how the conception, design and marketing of electronics has changed.

Personally, I don't have any reason to want the Beat Thang to fail.

However, when you market a consumer device as being the "Jeremiah Wright" of beat machines, I think you are simply asking for negative attention and ridicule.

My favorite saying these days: Don't jump in if you can't swim.

I would love to see any new company market their new product as being the "Sarah Palin" of beat machines. You know, for those out there who like to make their own Neo Country beats, not being for those unholy urban youth.

Comment

• Given how far this thread has gone, now I'm really routing for the Beat Kangs to succeed.

Jesus Christ, what a bunch of hate over what, marketing hype?!

****************, I'm going to formally ask to be a beta tester!

For $1,500, I bet they'll be happy to let you beta test their product.

Unfortunately, they don't give a mailing address on their website for you to send the check. The Tennessee Dept. of Corporations lists this as their Principal Office:

2002 RICHARD JONES RD., SUITE C-200
      NASHVILLE, TN 37215

That is also the address of Brookside Properties, the same company of David Crabtree, their CFO.

Comment

• Hmm, lemme guess he is one of the Kangz' father-in-law

Synthesizers!!

Comment

• For $1,500, I bet they'll be happy to let you beta test their product.

Unfortunately, they don't give a mailing address on their website for you to send the check. The Tennessee Dept. of Corporations lists this as their Principal Office:

2002 RICHARD JONES RD., SUITE C-200
          NASHVILLE, TN 37215

That is also the address of Brookside Properties, the same company of David Crabtree, their CFO.

Given the apparent success of their marketing ploy, I think I could loan one for a while for free. If other forums have gone on like this one, folks are going to want to see what all the talk is about. Just what they want.
          Studio One 3, Ableton Live 9, a StudioLive 16.0.2, HS 80M monitors, 2 ATH M50 headphones, Synths both hardware and software, and a DJ rig using turntables.

Comment

• Hmm, lemme guess he is one of the Kangz' father-in-law

Nah, just the money behind the scenes, coming from Real Estate, not the music biz. The company was started by Aja, which was listed with an address in a nice, middleclass neighborhood near a large Mall, not in the middle of no hood. As I said, no street cred. They're posers.

Bob Ezrin is involved somehow, which is the only factor that gives the project any credibility at all to me. Even though Ezrin was apparently let go from Artist Nation as a result of a shakeup of the money losing division of Live Nation, he still has industry credibility that none of the other principals in BeatKangz have.

If Ezrin and Crabtree have lined up the financial backing, then they probably have pocket deep enough to get this product to market, with or without the BeatKangz.

Comment

• From a practical standpoint, you're talking about a major investment of capital from someone who had better be a real risk taker with deep enough pockets and more than one financial well to draw from. Who can withstand a potential loss that big? Especially nowadays....

Probably this would have been scrapped if the financial meltdown picked up steam in 2007.

Obviously there's no going back at this point. Tough situation to watch evolve, truth be told.

Comment

• Given the apparent success of their marketing ploy, I think I could loan one for a while for free. If other forums have gone on like this one, folks are going to want to see what all the talk is about. Just what they want.

Negative attention doesn't always translate into marketing success, in fact, usually it doesn't. If you are selling magazines or weekly gossip rags, then any publicity is good. When it comes down to convincing buyers to put up big money for a brand new product, it doesn't usually help.

But if you are more likely to put up real money for their product, I've got no problem with that at all. I'm glad I could help you find you a place to send your money. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• Negative attention doesn't always translate into marketing success, in fact, usually it doesn't. If you are selling magazines or weekly gossip rags, then any publicity is good. When it comes down to convincing buyers to put up big money for a brand new product, it doesn't usually help.

But if you are more likely to put up real money for their product, I've got no problem with that at all. I'm glad I could help you find you a place to send your money. Caveat Emptor.

Like I said, I won't have to pay a dime to get one. Loan it and give it back. If it's good by me, you can bet I'll promote it to others for whom I think will benefit from its' use.
                  Studio One 3, Ableton Live 9, a StudioLive 16.0.2, HS 80M monitors, 2 ATH M50 headphones, Synths both hardware and software, and a DJ rig using turntables.

Comment

• Like I said, I won't have to pay a dime to get one. Loan it and give it back. If it's good by me, you can bet I'll promote it to others for whom I think will benefit from its' use.

And I would be greatly appreciative of any personal review you would do of it. That would be a lot more credible than anything I've seen so far.

Comment

• I'll try to contact them on Monday.

Comment

• Narrow prime prospect -> Narrow marketing -> Narrower appeal -> Narrowest sales.

Anyone who doesn't already have an MPC or MV and isn't Souf is automatically excluded as being a customer?

I'm not "one of them", so I should just step off and go cry about it?

Nice.

At some point it's not about the device anymore, it's purely about marketing.

Commodore and Atari, both big companies, failed because of poor marketing.

Comment

• I remember Waldorf taking some flak for the Stromberg mockup. Not multi-week megathreads, but people kind of loled at them. But Waldorf's got a well established reputation for dangling promises that they take years to fulfill - an established relationship.

I'm an electronic music hobbyist (though maybe not SetAI's Platnoic Ideal) and I don't plan to buy one of these, because the company comes across as totally unprofessional. The studio gangsta bull**************** I can ignore if there's something behind it that resembles a company that I can do business with if, for example, the unit arrives inoperable or the USB drivers don't work properly. They don't have my confidence.

This "hater" thing is designed to shift the blame from them to those of us who are unimpressed by their juvenile approach to communicating with us. I'm unmoved. It's not up to me to prove why I don't respond to their marketing.
                          When next the GAS strikes, ask yourself, WWDLPD?

Comment

• can't let the thread go to the second page

Comment

• can't let the thread go to the second page

please don't.
                              main: http://suitandtieguy.com
                              Lawrence Miles style rants: http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com
                              handbuilt boutique synthesiser modules: http://stgsoundlabs.com
                              my digital albums: http://suitandtieguy.bandcamp.com

Comment

• Well on a positive note, if nothing else I like the idea that The Beat Thang can perhaps tempt more young people into the realm of electronic music production. Maybe theres a large group of potential customers out there that will be encouraged by having the concept of production framed in a more familiar way.

Always better to explore your creative musical side than to sit around playing video games, or worse.

Hopefully the Beat Kangz can see past the negativity and realize that there actually is some constructive criticism in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X