OT: Soon - a dedicated site for synth repair !

gilwe

• Members

I decided to use my knowledge of synth repair and maintenance

and create a dedicated website which will act as a place where all

of us, the synth lovers (and maniacs) will be able to share information

about synthesizer repair, modification, restoration, DIY projects and more,

creating a huge base of information and supporting each other about

solving synthesizer problems and issues.

Soon I will post a link to the new website where obviously each one

of us is more than invited to join, and take a part creating this useful

(and hopefully helpful) knowledge base.

Cheers !

:thu:

• Members

Great idea, I've got at least one synth that currently needs surgery and no tech anywhere near me. Would love to get to grips with it but don't really know how or where to get my feet wet atm. My 101 has multiple issues, is the sequencer in particular something that is difficult to repair? Looking forward to it gilwe! :thu:

• Members

You can add this story to it when it opens:

I repaired my Rhodes (Roland) MK80 yesterday. Every eighth note in the first 5 octaves was not sounding: A, F, D#, repeat. So my troubleshooting process went like this:

a) Search Web for available info. (None avaialble.)

b) Troubleshoot further. Is MIDI being sent? Not on those notes.

c) Reasonable assumption: A piece of debris has fallen through the keys and gotten stuck on a circuit board.

d) Disassemble unit. Remove keys, all 88 of 'em.

e) Clean ALL debris from circuit boards and keyboard interior with a vacuum brush.

f) Test. Still not working properly.

g) Using flashlight, get good look at all boards. I found a few different truly stuck-on pieces of debris. Cleaned 'em off... finally after a particular piece is removed, it works!

h) Use this opportunity to give the keys themsleves a thorough cleaning. I'd gotten this keyboard used, and a middle-D key had cigarette burns and a couple black keys had hidden cosmetic problems. So I moved that D key as far left as it could go, into the lowest bass area, and the black keys to the edges as well. That way they are not always under finger.

i) Reassembled entire unit, being sure to replace ALL cables and screws.

I understand why a repair shop would have charged me at least $200, likely more, for this work. It's time-consuming! If you hurry you run the risk of doing even more damage. I'm very glad I did it.

• Members

OK the plan is to start from a plain forum, and then extend the site so the forum is only one section of it. I'm thinking about having a schematics database in there, as well as a diy project library, synth known issues by model, repair and maintenance procedures (like flathearth "Sticky Keys"), calibration and reset procedures, maybe even a preset library.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

look into installing wordpress or moveable type as website managers, it will help with all of that..

if you install a forum first, put it in another directory other than your root and link to it from a generic index.htm(l) page. moving forums and installed programs will more than likely crash your database or just give you problems.

• Members

Theres actually a section in the 'Workbench' thread which should slowly grow and cover this resource.

Thanks, Mr. Earth! The 'Workbench' is an excellent resource, and was amoung the first places I looked. Unfortunately, the info I need wasn't there (yet). After more fruitless searching, I finally found Gil's earlier post, & thought it might be worth a bump.

If anybody has any useful info, walk-throughs, fixes, restorations they'd like to share, please feel free to add it.

I'll search my files, & if I have anything that isn't already covered, I'll share.

Carry on the good work! :thu:

Archived