• Show
Clear All

• My new home-recording studio desk project

Hey guys,

I've tackled some other DIY projects in the past:

[how I built my speaker stands]

[how I built my synth-based home recording studio]

and I'm still finalizing the construction of my sound-proofing panels;

Today, I'll share the details of the construction of my new synth home-studio desk.

(Don, did you build yours yet? )

I have to say, it was much easier than I thought!! It only took one Friday evening and Saturday morning to get to this point

First stop, the usual hardware store (Home Depot / Lowe's for the US of A residents): at Home Depot, I bought three sheets of "Red Oak" plywood, measuring 4' x 8' each:

I decided 4' x 8' was a bit too big for my purpose and room, so, with a jig-saw, I cut the first one at 3' x 7' (aka 36" x 84"). This will serve as the main desk surface:

Note: buy the jig-saw blade for "precise cut".... it's a thin blade.. it takes forever to cut but it makes a clean, smooth cut.

Now, I had laying around two 6-space rack rails from years ago, so I wanted to build two "mini-racks" to place on top. I grabbed a couple of synth modules to measure, but I could have avoided it.... you know why they call them "19" racks?" Because they are exactly 19" wide

but I wanted to make sure the rack would fit so, I used them as glorified measuring spaceholders:

I cut the four pieces of wood using the jig-saw - and, using the trick I already showed in the "speaker stand" thread I mentioned above, I counter-sank the screws, so when I will stain them, the ugly screws won't show:

[continues...]
    SynthMania.com
    SynthManiaYouTube

Voila', the first "mini-rack" is ready - It took very little time to make:

moving on to the second one - Btw, I made them 12" x 19".

and here's on Fri night, a first "draft" of the desk top with the two "mini-rack" at each side:

And I forgot to mention how I put these frames together: simply using "L-shape" metal hinges, with screws. Small for the mini-rack, big for the cabinets;

Moving on to the "legs" of the desk: I want to have a standard 19-rack cabinet on the right side, to hold synthesizer modules, and another one on the left with a door on it, and acoustic padding inside, to hold the computer in.

This is the first cabinet - the measures I chose are: W 19" x H 26" x D 36"

these are the individual pieces of the base-cabinets:

a detail of the finished cabinet - I used twelve "L-shape" brackets for each cabinet, as you can see - it's very sturdy:

detail of the cabinet angle

The second cabinet went fast:

Then I plopped the desk surface on top...

SynthMania.com
    SynthManiaYouTube

Comment

and here is the happy family united:

Now I have to stain the whole thing with a 'red oak' finish, go buy a set of 14-space rack rails for the right cabinet, and make a door for the other cabinet....

I'll post more pics of the finished product in the studio when I'm done
      SynthMania.com
      SynthManiaYouTube

Comment

Very nice Paolo! I want to do something like this myself when I move out . Sure is a lot cheaper than buying one, and it's fun too!

Comment

Some diagonal bracing inside the two large boxes would make sure it can't collapse side to side....something like a 12 inch triangle in the rear top corners I think they are called gussets.

Comment

Some diagonal bracing inside the two large boxes would make sure it can't collapse side to side....something like a 12 inch triangle in the rear top corners I think they are called gussets.

Or just put backs on them.
            Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

A couple years ago, I hacked together a stand of sorts, just to get stuff out of the way. Mine (unlike yours), looks bad, but it works pretty good for what I need.
              I had some trouble with it wanting to collapse to the sides without sufficient bracing, but I think having almost the whole sheet on the top of yours should give it some support.

I put mine on wheels. Small, but 8 of them all together - they would be under your 2 bottom side cabinets. Really glad I did, because I've moved it around a lot, with a lot of weight on it.

If you want to put any rack gear in the bottom cabinets, it might give you a bit of trouble being 3 feet deep. I can see you using a flashlight and a long reach to get at stuff from the backside.

I used the little metal 'L' brackets for my racks too, but mis-measured slightly on the first one, and scratched up a rack unit getting it in.

Anyways, yours looks real good, and I'd like to see pics when you get it stained.

Comment

Staining time, it only took an hour or so:

SynthMania.com
                SynthManiaYouTube

Comment

Polyurethane time...

I picked semi-gloss but I think I could have picked clear... it's a fairly dark red

Here's the main desk after the poly treatment - "shiny shiny, shiny boots of leather..."

moving on and applying the poly to the rest of the furniture....

here you go - more shiny happy people:

and building and staining the door for the cabinet that will house the computer, power and accessories:

a few more miscellaneous things needed for the desk: hinges for the cabinet door, felt to place under the cabinets to avoid scratching the floor, a set of sliding mounts for the computer keyboard

SynthMania.com
                  SynthManiaYouTube

Comment

Man, everything looks really great.

I'm thinking I need to make me one of those mini-racks...

Comment

Looking good!
                      soundcloud.com/cbentley

Comment

i am jealous. my desk is cramped to say the least. always wanted to make somethign like this, be sure to keep updating, id like to see the end result.. maybe itll be an inspiration
                        "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
                        Steven Weinberg

moog!

Comment

....a few more miscellaneous things needed for the desk: hinges for the cabinet door, felt to place under the cabinets to avoid scratching the floor, a set of sliding mounts for the computer keyboard

I was going to ask about a slide for a computer keyboard - thought maybe you were going to go computer-less there for a bit.

Everything looks great - looking forward to seeing the final result.

Comment

You know what you need to give it the professional finishing touch? Hide those plywood edges with iron-on real wood edging.

You can buy it a Lowes and other hardware chains. Just heat it with an iron and melt the hot glue, then trim the edges flush when the glue sets. Should do it before you stain and seal the edges tho!

I used birch edge tape on my Synth of Doom cabinet, and you can't even tell that it is not solid wood.
                            Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

You know what you need to give it the professional finishing touch? Hide those plywood edges with iron-on real wood edging.

You can buy it a Lowes and other hardware chains. Just heat it with an iron and melt the hot glue, then trim the edges flush when the glue sets. Should do it before you stain and seal the edges tho!

I used birch edge tape on my Synth of Doom cabinet, and you can't even tell that it is not solid wood.

Detail work now.

A lot of it will be hidden, by doors and rack ears and what-not, but the main table edge will be exposed. Staining it looks good, but like you say, just a little extra work now would really set it off.

Then again - it's easy for us to say. We're not doing the work.

Comment

Working...
                              X