My new home-recording studio desk project

• Members

Paolo's got a 7 foot width (84 inches). Two bottom spaces that are probably account for between 20 and 21 inches each side. So far that leaves 44 to 42 inches. Then you have to take into account the width of the slides and the mounting hardware. There'd definitely be room there to squeeze in a short 61 key board. Then there'd still need to be a smaller slide for an actual computer keyboard. Now you're running into knee bumping territory. :lol:

• Members

Paolo, that's looking good! :thu:

However, I'd recommend some sort of lateral bracing - either a board screwed and glued across the top 1/4 of the back of the lower desk-supporting rack boxes or, at a bare minimum, some wooden right triangles glued and nailed on the back of the corners. As it is, all the lateral stress is on your metal angle irons. When all loaded up, your squares are going to want to turn into parallelograms. ;)

(I was a cabinet maker for 18 years before I became a CNC machinist and I.T. guru...)

• Members

+100 Carbon.

That's a lot of leverage against the relatively short angle irons. You're going to put more shearing stress on that desk than you might think. Also, screws short enough not to poke out the other side won't give you very much holding power in plywood and might rip out. Particularly in the crap plywood they pass off as "cabinet grade" at the Big Box stores lately. Some wood triangles in the corners in those boxes would do a lot of good.

I'd also use some bracing under the top between the boxes to stiffen it up. Yeah, I know, it's 3/4 ply, but still... you'll notice it.

• Members

Nice work! Kinda reminds me of Mark's studio where we hung out a few weeks ago.

For covering the edges, the iron-on veneer or opposing color trim pieces would look great. Can't wait to see it installed with gear!

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Looks a lot like my experience making the big and small racks some years ago. I do like the look of the plywood and stain you chose.

If you have your design all planned out (go go CAD programs) you can tell Lowe's or Home Depot how you want to cut up your plywood when you buy it, at least for basic straight cuts. They'll do it for free (or at least used to). It sure saved me a lot of work.

• Members

Thanks! I actually had Home Depot cut a couple of pieces for me, but the edges were all frazzled... to do precision cuts you need a very thin blade

Some more plywood tips, for what is't worth (or for anyone searching later):

If you're cutting plywood with a portable circular saw or a saber saw (jigsaw), place the material good face down. That'll minimize tear-out of the veneer. The teeth will be pulling the veneer into the plywood as they enter instead of pulling it away as the teeth exit.

To further avoid tearout, use a plywood blade. They're labeled for this purpose. Not only are the blades thinner, they have more, finer teeth and are ground for the purpose. They will cut slower, though.

Using a saber saw won't produce a very smooth cut, especially if you freehand it. Use a circular saw, preferably along with a straightedge clamped to the plywood so you can use glide the saw against it as you cut. Perfectly straight and smooth-enough cuts. This is important if you plan to glue anything on the cut edge, like edging tape and don't want to spend the rest of your life sanding. I guarantee that if you have to sand the edge that the edge will no longer be straight, no matter how hard you try.

Extra bonus for fuzzless cuts: Use a sharp knife and score along the cut line before using the saw. Score on the edge of the kerf of the cut, not down the center.

Fastening: Don't try to screw into the edge of plywood; The plys won't hold the screw. At a minimum, use the angle irons like Paolo did, and don't be stingy with them if this is all you're going to use.

Gluing: All edges must be straight and gluing surfaces must mate flush with no gaps. Use clamps. No, really, that's not optional: Use clamps. DON'T butt joint a plywood edge alone, it won't hold! Add brackets or glue blocks for reinforcement.

If you make a box, give it a back to support it, else it will turn into a parallelagram like Carbon said. If the back needs to be open, glue and screw some blocks into the inside corners.

Finish: Stain as desired. For protection, use a water-base polyurethane, it's easier to clean-up after. Don't stop at just one coat! Coat, dry, sand lightly, coat, dry, sand lightly, then coat once more. Let the stuff dry very thoroughly before sanding! If it gums up the sand paper, you're sanding too hard or it's not dry enough yet. Sanding will help keep the final finish smooth.

Oh, and always remember, the most imporant safety rule is to wear these: *tap tap* Safety glasses!

Archived