Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The keyboard with the most Famous or coolest line?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent
    View Post

The question (as I now understand it) could be rephrased: out of all synths, which one has the most/best lines?

If my understanding is correct I would say the Jupiter 8 is a strong contender.

Separate Ways - Journey

Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran

Save a Prayer - Duran Duran

Thriller - Michael Jackson

1999 - Prince

Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer

I Want to Break Free - Queen

Radio Gaga (bassline) - Queen

Miami Vice Theme - Jan Hammer

New Song - Howard Jones

What is Love - Howard Jones

Shout - Tears for Fears

Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears

Africa - Toto

Rosanna - Toto

Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Just a Girl - No Doubt

Madonna - Crazy for You

Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds

Drive - The Cars

Not all of these songs feature the Jupiter-8 though, and when it's used it's only used sparingly.

Examples:

1999 - Prince = layers of OB-XA and OB-SX

Africa -Toto = Yamaha CS-80 (brass pads), GS-1 (kalimba and high organ part)

Africa - Rosanna = the solo is a combination of several different synths such as the Polyfusion modular,

Minimoog, CS-80, Prophet 5 and Jup-8 (used for the descending sequencer line).

Shout - Tears For Fears = The Fairlight does the flute and the bass line is a combination of a sampled bass

sounds mixed with synthesized bass timbres (Prophet 5 afaik).

Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears = the brass is essentially PPG w/waveterm; the sustained and plucked strings are

Fairlight with some Jupiter-8.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic
      View Post

The synth line hook on "Just What I Needed", by The Cars. Don't know what produced it. Also, their theme sync line on "Let's Go".

Synth line hook on Just What I needed = Mini-korg 700

Sync lead on Let's Go = Prophet 5 rev 1

I'd say the Minimoog and Prophet 5 are strong contenders for the most famous or coolest synth lines. The Jup-8 and the OB-Xa were also used on a lot of stuff of course but

not as much as the Prophet 5 I think.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by plaid_emu
        View Post

.... and the video is also their best one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRdo7WXTVoM

Don't know how I made it through the 80's without ever hearing that song but now i'm traumatized for life. Thanks alot.

Comment

Edgar Winter Group "Frankenstein" - Arp 2600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU

I love the sick arps at about 59. Yeah - Rick Derringer on guitar too - kicks it big time!

Styx "Fooling Yourself" - Arp Odyssey and Oberheim 4 Voice (supposedly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtzIWPeun7c

Wife and I have the "Grand Illusion" *album*. This is one of my favorite uses of synthesizer and acoustic guitar. Too bad Styx got all syrupy and sleazy.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Gribs<br />
          <font size="3"><br />
          <font size="1"><i>...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.<br />
          </i><br />
          G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).</font></font></div>

Comment

Okay you guys are going to probably hate me for this one, but this is one of those songs that just wouldn't be the same without the synth parts. I used to have a T-Shirt from this tour - which I saw when I was in 10th grade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ker-C8FE2c

No guitar player on the South Shore of Lake Ontario was worth his salt if he couldn't play this and no band was really playing it if there were no synth parts.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Gribs<br />
            <font size="3"><br />
            <font size="1"><i>...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.<br />
            </i><br />
            G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).</font></font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mikael488
              View Post

Not all of these songs feature the Jupiter-8 though, and when it's used it's only used sparingly.

Examples:

1999 - Prince = layers of OB-XA and OB-SX

Africa -Toto = Yamaha CS-80 (brass pads), GS-1 (kalimba and high organ part)

Africa - Rosanna = the solo is a combination of several different synths such as the Polyfusion modular,

Minimoog, CS-80, Prophet 5 and Jup-8 (used for the descending sequencer line).

Shout - Tears For Fears = The Fairlight does the flute and the bass line is a combination of a sampled bass

sounds mixed with synthesized bass timbres (Prophet 5 afaik).

Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears = the brass is essentially PPG w/waveterm; the sustained and plucked strings are

Fairlight with some Jupiter-8.

Well that's what I get for believing the Internet.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Vocal Gear:</b> Audix OM3xb, Boss VE-20 | <b>Synth Gear: </b>Muse Receptor V1.0 | <b>Controllers: </b>M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Roland AX7<br><br><br><br></div>

Comment

Yeah, there's a lot of misinformation out there regarding what synths were used on this and that song/album. The info I posted comes from interviews

with the bands/musicians themselves so it should be more accurate. However, there are always those cases where you simply can't find the info you're

looking for, and in those cases I suggest you try to contact the artist directly by email or through some other means (I've done that many times myself).

Comment

Working...
                X