Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess is that people with synthesizers and DJs are just about the only people who could name more than a few genres of electronic music. For most people it would be a stretch to come up with techno, house, and trance, even those younger than 30. The rest of these genres existed for about as long as a piece of ununpentium, with some of them only known by three guys in Finland. (Actually, this generality probably applies more to people in the US than in Europe.) Of course, I herald from the golden days of arena rock, where a band that sold less than a million albums and couldn't get out of the clubs was considered a "failure" by many.

There are, of course, some electronic music fanatics and enthusiasts - look at the Electric Daisy Carnivals and their imitators. But unlike typical "concerts," those events are not so much about the individual artists as they are about the overall experience. And a festival with Skrillex or Swedish House Mafia on the bill will sell more tickets, because those are a couple of "performers" that lots of people in that scene have actually heard of by name.

And once again I'll say that this is mostly the situation in the States, whereas Europe has always seemed to have more of a mainstream affection for electronic music. That's my perception.
    -------------------------------
    Michael
    Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
    27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
    http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

I still fail to see where Dub comes into play as far as Dubstep goes.
      Synths: TT-303 . Analog Four . Octatrack . uWave II . Monotribe . Monotron Delay . MonotronDrum Machines: Machinedrum UWmkI . Vermona Kick LancetNew DJ Mix - AcidTed - Question Everything

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Acid Hazard
        View Post

I still fail to see where Dub comes into play as far as Dubstep goes.

I believe the term "dubstep" is a combination of Jamaican Dub and 2-Step garage. Both were popular in Soho, London, (and particularly Club Forward) around the time that dubstep got started (1999 or so) -- although dubstep didn't really become popular until some years after.
        Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by zoink
          View Post

I believe the term "dubstep" is a combination of Jamaican Dub and 2-Step garage. Both were popular in Soho, London, (and particularly Club Forward) around the time that dubstep got started (1999 or so) -- although dubstep didn't really become popular until some years after.

Yeah, if you notice, the beat *pattern* of dubstep still has a bit of the reggae / dub pattern -- third beat emphasis, for instance. (Though in dubstep the first beat is often an equal, unlike traditional reggae where the first is secondary to the third). Also, there's often a bit of relaxed swing in some dubstep that's very similar to what reggae / dub has.
          What I make with way too many blinky light modular items, plugins, and an Alesis Andromeda.
          Forbidden Star: home studio / melodic ambient / New Age / the deep zone
          Boney Fiend: the band, man / punk / garage / beer

Comment

I always thought of Dubstep as super lazy dance music since the beat always seems to be exactly HALF of a full paced danced beat. Never really saw how "STEPping" was doable with dubstep. Just seemed a silly naming convention. It will never be a huge genre because there is no sex attached to it that involves girls. ....maybe robot sex, but ya gotta get the girl crowd to succeed. thus, DANCE music FTW

Comment

In many cases what signifies dubstep is the fact that the filter-modulated bass line is taking on what would be the usual rhythm of hi hats. The so-called "wobble bass" will throb in quarter note triplets on 1 and 2, and switch to eighth note triplets on 3 and 4 (and sometimes go even faster than that).

You'll also often have a walking/plodding backing rhythm -- 140 bpm, kicks on 1 and 3, snares on 2 and 4 with some kind of run at the end of a phrase, or halfway through a phrase. Sometimes you'll also have kicks in 1/4 note triplets at the end of each measure (usually during a climax in the song itself).

That's pretty much it. You can otherwise put in just about anything you want to musically, even taking a piece from a completely different genre and remake it as dubstep.

Per esempio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpiCyrI7wwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx4zaFB0Kn8
              Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

And one more thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QodrSfsboFk

Comment

Obligatory repost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIv-qsH40m0
                  Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell...

Comment

i

Quote Originally Posted by wwwjd
                    View Post

I feel the over compartmentalization speaks volumes about the over-importantifying in our stupified civilization. It is like we are over complicating the littlest detail as a means of finding self importance of anything or everything. Technically speaking, there is probably 50 gazillion levels of color and invisible color in a rainbow, but do we tear out each thread of color in red and rename it to be something bigger than it is: a tiny part of a whole? No, it's just red. (well, paint companies might hahahaa)

Where any idiot can add whatever repetatively looped sample and they want and call it a new gerne is like if doctors spray painted virus cells and gave them a new name.

People used to make a quality SONG that stood on its own, was remembered for the song... now people dump buckets of noisey phlem into a "gerne" and think that is where it is at. But, it is forgotten seconds after the play button was pressed and replaced with the next phlem spillage.

Rather than creating new "genres", people should try making great music. Just a thought.

but you are the one who copped to liking commercial trance which plenty of people think is utter crap. and they said the same exact stuff about it at the time.

as for subgenres they really only exist for djs and trainspotters. Ive been in the scene forever and most fans or people @ parties dont care. at most they know they are listening to something like house or jungle or dubstep and thats about it
                    http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

View Post

yes, this is where it came from. and this is why i was initially disappointed in it because i loves me some dub reggae

being an old dnb fan i wanted more beats in it too but noe i appreciate it on its own and approach making it like ambient or idm listening music
                      http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten
                        View Post

i

but you are the one who copped to liking commercial trance which plenty of people think is utter crap. and they said the same exact stuff about it at the time.

I don't like it anymore, that was last week. And it wasn't just Trance, it was Acid Anthem Dream Goa Ibiza Vocal Trance.

Comment

View Post

In many cases what signifies dubstep is the fact that the filter-modulated bass line is taking on what would be the usual rhythm of hi hats. The so-called "wobble bass" will throb in quarter note triplets on 1 and 2, and switch to eighth note triplets on 3 and 4 (and sometimes go even faster than that).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpiCyrI7wwE

This song isn't the greatest I've ever heard, but the track is quite listenable until that ridiculous bass wobble comes in. I see it's a "dubstep remix," but (to me) it doesn't fit in with the rest of the song, and I don't get the point.
                          -------------------------------
                          Michael
                          Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
                          27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
                          http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd
                            View Post

This song isn't the greatest I've ever heard, but the track is quite listenable until that ridiculous bass wobble comes in. I see it's a "dubstep remix," but (to me) it doesn't fit in with the rest of the song, and I don't get the point.

It's just a ploy to get people who like dubstep to listen to Ellie Goulding.

Crossover appeal is the name of the game.

That's why artists these days hire big name DJs/producers to remix/remake their songs -- so that they'll get airplay in clubs that play that particular genre. I think it's interesting that artists nowadays are so eager to bend and shape what they do to suit a given market.

The trust fund hipster dollar is real, but elusive.

Comment

Dubstep ain't my type of music (unless Reggae is involved), but this is my favorite. Especially the dancing.

Well-deserved 72.8 million views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXO-jKksQkM
                              Shoemakers wear the worst shoes.
                              You left your ISO on Auto. That's a no-no.
                              Click here to search HC forums.
                              SoundClick
                              SoundCloud
                              YouTube

Comment

The wobble is a simple effect that I can even do with my Kaossilator with the measure length setting. Another gimmick with little payoff, and the result is a whole lotta new songs that sound the same. Now it's Brostep, and I can't wait to hear Nostep.
                                I synth, therefore I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X