• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by McHale
    View Post

+100 for the Kronos

Semi-weighted keys: No Go

Will be either the Fantom or the Motif. I'm going to read both manuals to decide.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Music is my Master-- Led Zeppelin</div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rockfan
      View Post

Semi-weighted keys: No Go

Semi-weighted is just a marketing term. These are unweighted keys, in practice. A bit more resistance than the keys on my Analog Laboratory board (in a good way), but still definitely synth-action.

Keys and Pads: Arturia Analog Laboratory 49, Arturia Spark, Korg Kronos 61, Korg nanoPad 2
      Strings: Carvin Bolt HSS w/ Wilkinson vibrato
      DAWs: FL Studio 10, Sonar X2 Producer
      Plugs: Arturia V Collection 3, Crypton Vocaloid 2 Megurine Luka, Korg Legacy Collection, Madrona Labs Aalto, NI Guitar Rig 5, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0

Comment

Might also think about going back a rev. to the Motif XS7. If you don't need the XF's new features, don't pay for them. IMO, the XS7 has the BEST analog sounds for a rompler (think 80s brass, pads, Jupiter-type strings, leads, etc.). Plus the bread-and-butter stuff. LOVE mine.
        Yamaha Motif XS7 / Roland JP-8000 / MicroKorg XL / Takamine GN30CE / Alesis iMultiMix 8 / Mackie TH15A Thumps / Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe / Fender SuperChamp XD

Comment

If you've got $3,000 to spend, then the Kronos is far and away the best workstation you can get with a built-in VA.

The PC3 is also an excellent workstation. Its built-in VA is very powerful, and in my experience the interface is not difficult to use -- though the display is smaller and graphically less refined than other current workstations. But the *sound* of the PC3 is stellar.

The other available workstations (Motif XF, Mo-X, Fantom G, etc.) are romplers with some VA-like programming features, but they're not true VAs.

If you want a workstation with a VA and you're not set on getting something brand new, you might want to consider a used M3 with Radias expansion or a Motif ES with AN plug-in expansion board.
          Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by zoink
            View Post

If you've got $3,000 to spend, then the Kronos is far and away the best workstation you can get with a built-in VA.

Confusingly, in his original post he said, "I want to have VA synth sounds in it..."

but in a subsequent post, he said, "I'm between a Roland and a Yamaha since I already own a VA and the Moog Minitaur."

Confusing.
            -------------------------------
            Michael
            Jupiter-50, MOX6, TI Polar, Moog LP, Korg Micro X, JV-1080
            27" iMac, DP 7.24, Omnisphere, Alchemy, many more...
            http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd
              View Post

Confusingly, in his original post he said, "I want to have VA synth sounds in it..."

but in a subsequent post, he said, "I'm between a Roland and a Yamaha since I already own a VA and the Moog Minitaur."

Confusing.

Yeah, I caught that and wasn't sure what to make of it either. If he just wants "synth sounds" then pretty much any of the workstations on the market will have plenty of those (and generally good ones, too). But the Fantom and Motif XS/XF don't actually have a VA engine, so there might be some confusion there about the distinction.
              Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd
                View Post

Confusing.

Sorry for the confusion.

I initially wanted VA sounds, but then changed my mind since, during the active forum, I purchased the Akai Synthstation for my iPad. I have the Moog and other synth apps on my iPad to use without having to worry about the synth having VA sounds. And, the fact I already have a VA.

Nevertheless, I'm still eyeing a workstation.

Comment

Well, you have three VAs in the Kronos, an expanded MS20, an expanded Polysix and the AL1, which is so powerful it will do just about everything except make the coffee and put the cat out at night (and there's probably a way to do that if you could figure it out). And as the man says, MOD7 is sort of a VA. I downloaded 200,000 DX7 sounds for it though after winnowing out the ones that didn't work I still had 90,000. And that's for one synth. And it can use samples as well. The only limitation is the solid state drive but you can easily install a bigger one or even two. The mind boggles.

Bryan
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">The Lone Arranger (and resident old guy)<br />
                  <br />
                  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't teach an old dog to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke.</div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Klaus
                    View Post

MOD-7 also works as a VA, though it might just be a wee bit overkill for that role.

But, yeah. OP should definitely consider the Kronos; that and the PC3 are just about the only boards which meet the criterion of being a sample-based workstation with an onboard VA engine.

There's also the old trusty cheapo Alesis Fusion

I did this little demo last week to show it off a bit as a VA/workstation. The main lead is a VA sound I programmed. All other sounds are sample-based. It was all done and sequenced inside the Fusion. I then dumped it to my Mac and added a little limiting and compressing to the mixed file.

The Yamaha EX5/EX7 also had a VA section.

But yeah if you're talking about currently sold workstations, the Kronos and the PC3 line are the only game in town still.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="verdana"><a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze</a></font></div>

Comment

+1 for the Korg.

If you are serious about deciding between the Roland and the Yamaha, don't get the Roland.

*Disclaimer: This opinion is based soley on my experience and is worth exactly what you paid for it. You may find the one Roland that actually works every time you turn it on.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rockfan
                        View Post

...Will be either the Fantom or the Motif. I'm going to read both manuals to decide.

If it's between those two, I like the Motif sounds better, but the Fantom is a bit easier to use if you're not familiar with Yamaha's ways of doing things.

Comment

dont know what you are after but there are many workstations of the past that sound better than modern synths,check them out yourself and good luck on this one.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">Member of Performing Rights Society/UK<br />
                          <br />
                          My music at<br />
                          <br />
                          <a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/panoschatzigeorgiadisopenoceanstudios" target="_blank">http://www.reverbnation.com/panoscha...enoceanstudios</a></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
                            View Post

There's also the old trusty cheapo Alesis Fusion

I did this little demo last week to show it off a bit as a VA/workstation. The main lead is a VA sound I programmed. All other sounds are sample-based. It was all done and sequenced inside the Fusion. I then dumped it to my Mac and added a little limiting and compressing to the mixed file.

The Yamaha EX5/EX7 also had a VA section.

But yeah if you're talking about currently sold workstations, the Kronos and the PC3 line are the only game in town still.

I have the Alesis Ion; great VA with the old analog sounds.

Comment

The Kronos or MO8 would probably be my choice these days if I were going to do it but I'm always going to have a soft spot for a Fantom G

Comment

Working...
                              X