Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reivew was really helpful-I just bought a Digimax FS and love the preamps-but I do have one problem.

I'm using a DIGI 001 with OSX 10.3.2 and PTLE 6.4 and the 001 won't seem to sync perfectly with the optical input(Digimax set to be the Master) I get clicks every now and then even with no input-I also have a ADA8000(to compare them-D-FS wins hand down) and the Behringer does the same thing-only much worse.

Here's the funny thing-they both seem to work fine in OS9. So it sounds like either an OS X problem or a 6.4 with OSX problem, has anyone experienced the same thing? Or am I the only guy that hasn't upgraded to a 002?

P.S. I guess I could run it with 001 as master but I was hoping to take advantage of the better clock on the Digimax-would I lose the benefits of the low jitter technology?

Comment

A schematic/chart would help. Didn't see one in the manual.

ADAT out is ah the 8-channels of A-to-D from the analog inputs.

ADAT in is a source for the DAC outputs. Completely unreleated functions, correct? So there is no internal mixing or DAW routing that would use the DAC outputs? It's just the mirror of the ADAT in, and that is all? Correct?

Or, is it the case, that if you are using the firewire and ASIO drivers, you can take ADAT in as input, and/or also use ADAT out as customizable mix for output? Similar question for DAC out?

Or is this device just simpler in concept than that? What got me thinking about this was: if I have a line-in, bring it in on firewire, mix it with something else, then want it to appear on an analog output... where would it appear? If the DAC outputs are occupied in use by the ADAT in, then my ASIO routing would drop on the floor? Or would I need to use a separate box for doing mixed D/A output?

Comment

Completely unreleated functions, correct? So there is no internal mixing or DAW routing that would use the DAC outputs? It's just the mirror of the ADAT in, and that is all?

You are correct. The ADAT inputs give you eight analog outputs (DAC outputs) from your DAW. Depending on how extensive the DSP mixer of your interface is, you can route any stream from the DAW or combination of inputs and DAW returns to the DAC Outputs.

For example, if you are using the Digimax FS in conjunction with an interface like the Firestudio, you can route any one of nine stereo internal mixes of the inputs and playback streams to the DAC outputs. They show up as outputs 9-16 and 17-24 of the Firestudio.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
        Rick Naqvi
        www.presonus.com
        800.750.0323 x0641

Comment

I guess I could run it with 001 as master but I was hoping to take advantage of the better clock on the Digimax-would I lose the benefits of the low jitter technology?

With a 001, the only way to use a Digimax FS is to set it up as the master clock in your hardware preferences.

Make sure that the Digimax is set to whatever sample rate your session is at. And also make sure that the Digimax is set to 'INTERNAL' on the front panel and not 'adat sync'.

Kind Regards,
          Rick Naqvi
          www.presonus.com
          800.750.0323 x0641

Comment

Thanks for responding, Rick! BTW I will be testing the DigiMAX FS as an expander for the Alesis io26 in a "neighboring" Pro Review.
            Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Ah, thanks for the quick response.

It occurs to me, then you could use this thing for like an 8-channel 1-to-3 fanout device, going 8-out of the inserts, 8-out of the direct outs, then looping an ADAT cable from ADAT out to ADAT in, then using the DAC outs as copy #3.

Fun!

Comment

Craig,
                Great review. Did you get a chance to try the Inserts as line-ins? I was wondering if this would be a beter way to go than thru the front panel line-ins? My goal would be to bypass the preamp. I have a number of line-level sources (2 stereo keyboards, 4 Mixer Subouts, etc). I don't know if the front panel inputs bypass the pres or not. Also, if you did test the inserts, do the gain knobs affect the level of the signal? Also are the clip leds functional when inputting via the inserts, and finally, if a line-level signal is fed into the insert, would it also appear on the direct-out?
                - the bbdude

Comment

Now, let me make it clear that I believe there are basically three types of mic pres in this world:

* Cheapo pres.

* Middle-class "designer" pres. These are what you find in better quality mid-class gear, like the Mackie Onyx preamps, those in the 1820m, and the PreSonus.

* Big-bucks "designer" pres.

... the fact is that the DigiMAX FS has eight pres vs. the two in the 1820m or two in the Onyx Satellite (which I used as a comparison). The fact that they sound very "honest," and balanced across the spectrum, is pretty cool given the price. Bottom line: You get eight very fine mic pres in the DigiMAX FS that I would file under the "middle class designer pre" category...actually, maybe even upper middle class.

I would be very interested in your thoughts of how the Digimax FS Preamps compare to the Onyx Preamps. You list them as both being "middle class" and then list the Presonus as "maybe even upper middle class." Does that mean that the PreSonus sound ever so slightly more accurate than the Onyx pres?

I have an Onyx Satellite and have been pleased with the preamps. I am now looking for an 8-channel preamp with ADAT I/O to expand a TT24 and my curiosity about the DigiMax FS has been stirred, especially since it is a bit less expensive than the 800r.

Thanks,
                  Jeff Foster

Comment

Hi,people!!! My name is Leo and I sound-engineer from Russia.
                    I use RME FF800 and I need more chanals and micpreamps. I want to buy DigiMax FS, but I don't know minimum-possible input level this interface???

How much power-level overshoot stand it(1\4 jack connection)???
                    My RME FF800 = +19 dB.
                    and DigiMax FS = ?????

P.S. Sorry my English

Comment

• Hi Leo,

The maximum input level is +22dBu on the line inputs. (Unity Gain, 1KHz @ 0.5% THD+N)

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
                      Rick Naqvi
                      www.presonus.com
                      800.750.0323 x0641

Comment

• ОК!!! Thanks, Rick Naqvi!!!

I want that interface, but price in Russia vegy big
                        Your distributor in Russia - Avallon(www.avallonltd.com) sell DigiMax FS = 930$(((((((((((((((( Sheel((( Why?????????????????

For example: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-DigiMAX-FS?sku=241845

...and one question: Can I use Presonus Firestudio instead of DigiMAX FS, how multichanals A/D and D/A-converter???

Comment

• how does this compare to the digimax LT?
                          My Recording Studio / Lessons:
                          http://www.gregsguitarlessons.com
                          Check my commercial for online lessons / studio work!

soundcloud | youtube | last.fm | facebook | twitter | my venue

Comment

• Dear all, there was one detail mentioned in the review that confused me:

The statement was that the Phantom Power can only be switched on for 1-4 and 5-8 separatedly (a fact of course) and this was commented as a disadvantage because when you use a guitar on one of the first four inputs you could not use the ohters with phantom power...

I dont see this. The phantom power is to my knowledge only available on the XLR part of the combo-Plugs, so the jacks are unaffected by the phantom power.

So: Turning on Phantom power for the inputs 1-4 does not have any impact on using input 1 as an instrument input, nor does using input 1 as an instrument input hinder you to use phantom power on inputs 1-4 and use the remaining three inputs of that "group" as mic -inputs.

Did I get it wrong or was the reviewer simply mistake?

Thx, Ernst

Comment

• Have you found any information yet about no -20 pads on the DigiMax FS? That's exactly the information I was looking for when I came across this forum. I will be hooking up drum mics to mine next week, but usually need pads on most of them... could the preamps really have so much headroom that simply turning them down is equal to a -20 pad?

Comment

• Hey Anderton how does the preamps compare to the onyx?

Comment

Working...
                                X