PreSonus DigiMax FS (8-chan mic pre with ADAT/analog I/O) - Now with Conclusions

Anderton

• Members

ОК!!! Thanks, Rick Naqvi!!!

I want that interface, but price in Russia vegy big:(

Your distributor in Russia - Avallon(www.avallonltd.com) sell DigiMax FS = 930$:((((((((((((((((( Sheel:(((( Why?????????????????

For example: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-DigiMAX-FS?sku=241845

...and one question: Can I use Presonus Firestudio instead of DigiMAX FS, how multichanals A/D and D/A-converter???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Dear all, there was one detail mentioned in the review that confused me:

The statement was that the Phantom Power can only be switched on for 1-4 and 5-8 separatedly (a fact of course) and this was commented as a disadvantage because when you use a guitar on one of the first four inputs you could not use the ohters with phantom power...

I dont see this. The phantom power is to my knowledge only available on the XLR part of the combo-Plugs, so the jacks are unaffected by the phantom power.

So: Turning on Phantom power for the inputs 1-4 does not have any impact on using input 1 as an instrument input, nor does using input 1 as an instrument input hinder you to use phantom power on inputs 1-4 and use the remaining three inputs of that "group" as mic -inputs.

Did I get it wrong or was the reviewer simply mistake?

Thx, Ernst

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Have you found any information yet about no -20 pads on the DigiMax FS? That's exactly the information I was looking for when I came across this forum. I will be hooking up drum mics to mine next week, but usually need pads on most of them... could the preamps really have so much headroom that simply turning them down is equal to a -20 pad?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Dear all, there was one detail mentioned in the review that confused me:

The statement was that the Phantom Power can only be switched on for 1-4 and 5-8 separatedly (a fact of course) and this was commented as a disadvantage because when you use a guitar on one of the first four inputs you could not use the ohters with phantom power...

I dont see this. The phantom power is to my knowledge only available on the XLR part of the combo-Plugs, so the jacks are unaffected by the phantom power.

You are correct. I thought this had been corrected within the review, but apparently not. Sorry for the confusion.

• Members

Hey Anderton how does the preamps compare to the onyx?

Unfortunately, both the DigiMax FS and Onyx were returned to the manufacturers a long time ago so I can only go on what I remember. Overall, I recall the Onyx preamps as being exceptionally "clean" and transparent (which some have considered "brittle"). The DigiMax FS preamps sound perhaps a little bit warmer. To give an example, for acoustic guitar I'd probably prefer the Onyx, but for recording a guitar amp, I'd go with the DigiMax. For vocals, it would depend on the vocalist's timbral quality.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Craig, I'm just wondering, do you have an opportunity to compare the preamps in this unit to the fmr rnp? The presonus unit just seems like a much more versatile piece of equipment, I'm just wondering if there is that much difference or that much more alleged improvement in the sound... By the way, thanks for these live reviews, they're certainly unique and give a great perspective to all the peices of equipment that you've reviewed here in the past...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have you found any information yet about no -20 pads on the DigiMax FS? That's exactly the information I was looking for when I came across this forum. I will be hooking up drum mics to mine next week, but usually need pads on most of them... could the preamps really have so much headroom that simply turning them down is equal to a -20 pad?

Hello everybody,and thank you for the great review.

Really,what has happened with the story of lack of pads on the DigiMax inputs? I am rather curious about this, since this piece of gear is next on my list(for now,I'm proud owner of M-Audio FW 1814).The main reason I will be buying DigiMax FS is the 8 pres(M-Audio FW1814 has two combo pres).HAS ANYONE around here used DigiMAX to record sounds(instruments) of very high intensity and with much transients,i.e. kick drum,snare,or had experience with how DigiMAX FS pres handle the overheads???Please respond.Thank you very much.:thu:

P.S. On presonus.com i found a useful review by Jason Scott Alexander of mixonline.com that says:

"...but I’m happy to report

that due to the unit’s excessive headroom, it’s

more than happy with hot signals, so the lack

of input padding isn’t missed."

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I just have to say that the reviews really helped me with my decision to buy the Presonus Digimax FS. I currently am using an Apogee Ensemble and I needed more ins. I was contemplating products from RME and Apogee and then I stumbled across these reviews. I was very intrigued. I ordered the unit and installed it with ADAT to my Ensemble and used Word CLock to sync. The device works great! The sound is nearly as good as my Apogee. I am very, very happy. Thanks again for all of the review.

Mike

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Hi Brandon,

Yes, you can use the D/A outputs at the same time as the A/D.

In fact, every analog connector of the Digimax FS can be used simultaneously:

1. Front Panel XLR/TRS inputs

2. Rear Inserts points

3. Analog Direct Outputs

4. DAC Outputs

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

• Members

Actually, the D/A conversion is 3dB even better.

Here's a few specs from our website:

ADC Dynamic Range (Awtd, 48KHz Sample Rate) 107dB

DAC Dynamic Range (Awtd, 48KHz Sample Rate) 110dB

Bit Depth 24

Reference Level for 0dBFS +18dBu

Digital Audio Output (2-Toslink™ Connectors, 8 channels) ADAT/SMUX

Digital Audio Input (2-Toslink™ Connectors, 8 channels) ADAT/SMUX

Internal Sample Frequency Selections (KHz) 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96

External Sample Frequency Inputs BNC, ADAT (SMUX)

BNC Word Clock Output Level (75 Ohm load) 4.5V

BNC Word Clock Input Level Range 3.0 to 5.5V

Jitter Specification

Jitter Attenuation >60dB; 1ns in approx.1ps out

If you get to check out a Digimax FS, please post back your thoughts. I'd love to hear what you think.

Kind Regards,

• Members

Wow! Very nice. I was planning on saving up for a used Apogee AD-16 (non X version... about $1k used), and probably still will, but this will work great for a front end and headphone sends and when I finally do get my Apogee, I can still use the FS as headphone sends. Or maybe get an optical patchbay and still use both. Should be sweet! All into ProTools via a LightBridge. :)

Thanks for the reply, Rick!

Brandon

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I have had this unit for quite a while, and it certainly meets my expectations. The mic pres and DIs sound a lot better (less clouded, more detailed) than a Mackie mixer, Digi 00x interfaces, etc. The mic pres work well with a variety of mics, from cheap ribbons to condensers and DIs needing phantom power. They don't sound as uncolored, immediate, and three-dimensional as preamps that cost many times what each in an FS costs, like a Martech MSS-10, but they sound good.

Has anyone gotten any sound out of the DigiMax FS DAC outputs?

I have the DMFS connected to my RME Multiface via ADAT1-8 In and 1-8 Out.

All inputs work correctly (1-4 at 96k, 1-8 at 44.1, etc.) - mic inputs, instrument inputs on 1+2, inserts.

Insert sends work, direct outs work, but I have never been able to get any sound other than hiss (not extremely loud, and it sounds like full bandwidth white noise) from the DAC outputs.

The RME Totalmix, SONAR, Samplitude, etc. can send out through any output of the Multiface except for the DMFS through the ADAT out (I have no other ADAT gear, so I haven't checked this output, but there is a red light from the optical out, and RME settings seem to be correct). I have tried numerous optical cables. I have tried both TRS and TS 1/4" cables on the DAC outputs, and numerous devices at the other end (headphone amps, compressors, guitar amps, etc.) with the same result - hiss.

Does anyone think this a bad unit (these outputs have never worked)? Or is it pilot error with an obvious, easy solution?

• Members

Hi Doug,

Here's something you can try to test the D/A:

Plug a mic into the Digimax FS,

take the adat output and plug it into the adat input.

See if you get anything out of the analog output.

If you don't hear any signal, plus shoot me an email and we can get your unit serviced. It could be a simple ribbon cable that has gotten unplugged from the inside. Either way, we'll be glad to help you get it checked out.

Kind Regards,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Here's something you can try to test the D/A:

Plug a mic into the Digimax FS,

take the adat output and plug it into the adat input.

See if you get anything out of the analog output.

I had the same problem, distorted noise coming out of the DAC outputs while having a light pipe going from DAW optical out (Gina3G) to DIGIMAX FX ADAT in. I did the test you said above. It worked perfectly. But when I connect from my Gina3G optical out to the optical in of the DIGIMAX FS I hear the horrible distorted noise coming out of the DAC. I did the same test with my Gina3G, (I connected the same lightpipe from the output to the input of Gina3G, I played a signal through digital out 1 and routed it to digital in 1. Everything worked perfectly.) It seems that the distorted noise only occurs when I connect the output of Gina3G to the input of DIGIMAX FS. Do you think there would be some incompatibility between DIGIMAX FS and Gina3G? Or are there some software parameters that I have to tweak with?

Some help would really be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Vlad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Problem solved, I just switched from Internal Clock to External Sync | Red - ADAT and it works perfectly. No more noise coming out of DAC outputs.

Now I can also use my DIGIMAX FS as headphone distributor for 4 headphones, each one with individual mixes. Awesome device this DIGIMAX FS.

Archived