Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Craig, I see that you could monitor the reverb bus the way you described it, but at the mix down I should need to have the ourput of the reverb (killed dry) recorded as an audio track in the daw...right? and then treat it as a Reverb return chanell (I am using Cubaes SX).

Comment

Mike or Craig

is it possible to use Konnekt 24 d as a standalone digital converter. For example feeding the spdif with digital signal from dvd-cd player.

Also for example ipod xpress with airtunes. Will this combo work? It seems that airport xpress have digital (optical out) and konnekt also have adat(optical) in. Is this compatible?

Everything i mentioned above is for standalone application.

I guess konnekt do come with power adapter right?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Fredsa
        Thanks Craig, I see that you could monitor the reverb bus the way you described it, but at the mix down I should need to have the ourput of the reverb (killed dry) recorded as an audio track in the daw...right? and then treat it as a Reverb return chanell (I am using Cubaes SX).

Fredsa,
        If you have Cubase SX 3, use the "External Effects" feature. It allows you to integrate Konnekt 24D's effects like a VST. The reverbs are recorded automatically at mixdown.
        -Mike Martin
        Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by miziq
          Mike or Chris

is it possible to use Konnekt 24 d as a standalone digital converter. For example feeding the spdif with digital signal from dvd-cd player.

Also for example ipod xpress with airtunes. Will this combo work? It seems that airport xpress have digital (optical out) and konnekt also have adat(optical) in. Is this compatible?

Everything i mentioned above is for standalone application.

I guess konnekt do come with power adapter right?

Thanks in advance

Yes this will work fine and yes it comes with a power adapter.
          -Mike Martin
          Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the routing advice! As for the preamps, allow me to reference the initial question and I'll try to be more exact this time.

Second, it seems pretty easy to overload the preamps when just connecting a cndsr mic. When using my Voicemaster Pro, I really have to crank the input to clip; whereas, I begin to overload the pres on the 24D when the gain is at much lower levels. Any thoughts?

Does this happen even with the pad engaged?

As a comparison, I can set the output of My Voicemaster to zero and give only a moderate amount of gain while getting a healthy recording level. On the 24D, I overload the preamps before reaching even zero db recording levels. Is it just a difference in what the preamps can handle? It makes me concerned that I won't be able to record really dynamic instruments, like drums, without overloading the preamps and still get equally healthy recording levels--especially with the pad engaged. With the pad engaged, I have to crank the gain to get good recording levels but run into the problem of overloading the pres again.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton

The bottom line is that while you can't use the Fabrik C as a true insert effect on host tracks, you can accomplish the same result with the workaround detailed above.

Craig,
              This is perfectly possible in Cubase SX 3.0 and Cubase 4 with their "External Effects" feature.
              -Mike Martin
              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Mike,

thank for quick reply. I'm buying it on saturday.

So at standalone mode i just connect dvd player via spdif and connect out 1 and out 2 to amp. Konnekt recognize this automaticly?

Will the volume knob work in this situation? Can i adjust volume ?

If i understand this coorect i can use also Konnekt as AD-converter and headphone amp right? Without any other connection or adjustments?

I have Rotel rd-1090 2 x 380 w power amp. Would like to use Konnekt as a multi purpose device. Well amp accept balanced inputs, but the same shape (neutrik) that are on the front face of 24D (xlr). How is the output hadleded on konnket and what kind of cables i need? Are those outs (female jacks) also balanced the same way as are normal xlr balanced connectors?

Thanks

Comment

Miziq,
                  Your DVD player will be playing CD's or DVD audio? Konnekt will NOT decode a surround encoded singal.

Once you set up your digital ins, and direct monitoring is engaged it will work as you describe.

Outputs are 1/4", balanced or unbalanced.
                  -Mike Martin
                  Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Mike,

just stereo out of dvd-cd!

Thanks for all the info!

Comment

• First of all thanks for the great work with these reviews. Appreciated and helpful.

I am interested in pulling the trigger on the 24D ASAP...but I have to say the questions raised about the mic pre's apparent headroom issue for Shawn are a concern to me.

The few reviews I've read have all commented on how good the pres actually were for this price point.

????

Comment

• <<This is perfectly possible in Cubase SX 3.0 and Cubase 4 with their "External Effects" feature.>>

Good point. I knew this, but was locked into the "send/receive" mindset of trying to do the processing virtually. And it's also worth mentioning that Cubase can adjust for latency going through external effects -- a very cool feature.

But this also brings up something else I haven't mentioned: You can treat the 24D as a stand-alone effects processor just by using the ins and outs. For example, you could put it in the aux bus of a mixer.
                        Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• <<On the 24D, I overload the preamps before reaching even zero db recording levels. Is it just a difference in what the preamps can handle?>>

It sounds like you know what you're doing, so don't take this as insulting, but is the applet mixer gain-staged correctly? I have the opposite situation-- I have to be careful with levels, or I overload the host program's inputs.

Comment

• By the way, I will be getting into the reverb sound quality in detail later on, but I thought I should at least mention that my initial impressions are extremely favorable. Long tails don't have that "periodic" sound I find so annoying in some other reverb software.

Comment

• I'm interested in the Konnekt 8, but was reading somewhere that the output volume knob only controls the main outputs and not the headphone outputs. Is this the case, does the headphone volume have to be adjusted in software?

Thanks,

Cam

Comment

• You needn't worry about insulting me The truth is, I don't know if I know how to set the applet mixer's gain-stage correctly (at least, I'm unsure of what you mean). Please explain... I have the output set to zero. The input level doesn't appear to be controllable within the software dialogue but only by the gain knob on the unit. "Headroom" does appear to be the concern. The preamps sound good; although, as I mentioned, they will clip when the gain is 1/3 of the way up. At this point, I am barely hitting zero db. Shouldn't I be able to crank the gain quite a bit beyond the 1/3 point before going into the red? I'm certainly not screaming into the mic. Furthermore, if I clap my hands before the mic, it will ocassionally clip at very low levels. Your experience with the unit resembles the one I have with my Voicemaster--that is, I can clip the recording levels much sooner than the preamp. Can I do something to change this or might it be the a signal processing flaw within my specific unit? I hope not. I like it very much. Maybe Mike has a thought as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X