My Frankenstrat Replica

Azazael

• Members

Yea, its a convincing copy job.

Sorry, I'm just not one who gets off one dressing up like someone else.

To me a guitar is just a tool to put on a show. I kinda got away from copying others back in my teens in the earley 70s when I wanted to be someone I wasnt. I always though his guitar looked like a crap bucket of bolts but playing a junker was considered cool and made popular by many punk bands.

Junk guitar psychology is to draw in every kid who has a bucket of bolts and make then think they can play great too or they dont need a good guitar to sound great. I go along with that up to a certain extent but to make it work you truely have to be a great player. Guess it works because of all the copies out there on the market. Think Kramer even did reissues recently. Thing to always keep in mind is the player who made the instrument sound great, not the other way around. Good job though and good luck, like I said, its just not my thing.

• Members

how much did this project cost?

do you like van halen that much?

is the quarter the right year?

Well it is built from nothing but the highest quality parts so you can try work it out yourself. The neck for example was about $400 + shipping.

Of course the quarter is the right year. It wouldnt sound the same if it wasnt.

It aint about liking Van Halen *that* much its about the project and also having perhaps the most famous recognisable and influential guitar of all time.

quarterp.jpg

• Members

WOW!!

gorgeous f'ing neck! Birdseye popping out!! forget about the paint job, how'd you get the neck so pretty, and how much was it, where did you buy it?
:thu:

you like birdseye/flamed necks?

Feast you're eyes on these...

19518828a8876594932o.jpg

19518828a8876595078o.jpg

dsc05726assneck1.jpg

19518828a8876594998o.jpg

• Members

Are you a member of www.halen.com ? if yes, I'm sc0rch from that site. Hi!

questions! as I'm building a franky myself. (spraying the white today!)

1. What size drill bits did you use on the quarter?

2. You clear coated? why so, to preserve what you did? I see a lot of orange peel (even on the wood) in one pic

3. How did you "rust" metal parts? (input jack plate)

4. Is that singlecoil the replica from www.Divebombinc.com ?

5. hehehe... how many hours do you think you put into it in total?

6. What brand of paint did you use? spray gun, rattle can?

• Members

Hi scorch ye... i have been following your build.

Drill bit no idea, what ever size in the box matched lol

yes it has light clear coat. To give it some protection from grubby paws etc and to seal it a bit.

Rust....sandpaper....patience...oh and....acid!

Single coil is not from divebomb. Phenolic cap was from someone at the aforementioned site. Single coil is now replaced and is a fully functioning noiseless single coil.

Spray Paint is irrelevent im in a different country.

• Members

EVH has quite a collection as you can see here.

kramer did some reissues.

Why post Kramer?

The 5150 was not the Frankenstrat.

It was a totally different guitar.

The only "reissue" i know of is the Gibson Kramer 1984.

Which was not a very good attempt at all as apparently the body was wrong shape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Why post Kramer?

The 5150 was not the Frankenstrat.

It was a totally different guitar.

The only "reissue" i know of is the Gibson Kramer 1984.

Which was not a very good attempt at all as apparently the body was wrong shape.

Posting the 5150 goes right to the point. Yes, it's wrong compared to the original p.o.s. And EVH was paid a bunch of money so they could make it. If it were a perfect replica the would have need to pay him more. In 500 years archaeologists will be wondering why these were made. WTF was all the fuss about will be their first question. Then they'll find the booze bottles and coke straws and have it all figured out!!!

Archived