DIY 6 Space Rack

emperor_black

• Members

Has anyone attempted to build their own rack? Any plans, measurements, etc.? I want it to be only 15" depth, or rail-to-rail depth as they call it.

The rails seem to be available on eBay. But any other tips how to build a cab to house the rails?

• Members

I just built a stand that holds my keyboard and my new rack synth. I did it with 1/2" plywood. I glued it together, then drilled holes, inserted and glued dowels to hold the pieces to together. I did not use any screws. It seems really solid. It is a little heavy though. Part of the reason I built it was it is kind of a custom stand / shelf, designed to be as small as possible.

Otherwise the commercial solutions are probably better. 1/2" plywood is strong but is a little heavy.

I am debating making a custom gig back, with 1/4 or 1/8 plywood panels in the walls of the bag. Again it would be custom designed to hold my keyboard and rack unit. I saw some fabric at the store that looks like the padded stuff you see inside of bags. I would just need to learn how to sew.

• Members

Exactly !!

You would not believe how crazy cheap it will turn out to be if you decide to build on your own! Maybe not in this case, cause a 6 space SKB can be purchased for around $90, but I finished two 2x12 cab and discounting cost of tools, the material by itself cost less than $60 for both cabs. And it sounds phenomenal. :thu:

• Members

EB, the cost of tools never counts as most DIY'ers are stricken with tool aquisition syndrome, aka t.a.s. This is very similar to g.a.s. only at a much higher level. We get t.a.s. when we're building things to to subdue our g.a.s. Fortunately we all have p.r.s. or pack-rat syndrome so the cost of making things usually goes down because of things we have stashed.

My gig amp is a case in point. All of the material and finishing supplies I had. I just needed corners, handles and the like. That's not counting speakers and amp. But they were used and/or cheap.

• Members

I made one years ago and may do so again. Pros - I made it the same width as an amp head with the rack units off to one side and a small compartment off to the other to hold cables, etc. Worked really slick. Cons - I made it from 1/2" thick wood. Weighed a lot on its own and even more when you added in the gear.

Archived