I want to put up a recording studio. what do i need?

• Members

Budget is around $5000. is that enough?

it's certainly enough to record music

what do you have already?.... are you sorted for a computer?... do you have all your instruments e.g.. drums etc?... do you want to record a live kit or use samples?.... what's the space like that you have to record/mix in?.... is this just for yourself or do you want to record other people too?... will you be recording one track at a time, or do you intend to record a lot of tracks at one?... if so, how many?

• Members

it's certainly enough to record music

what do you have already?.... are you sorted for a computer?... do you have all your instruments e.g.. drums etc?... do you want to record a live kit or use samples?.... what's the space like that you have to record/mix in?.... is this just for yourself or do you want to record other people too?... will you be recording one track at a time, or do you intend to record a lot of tracks at one?... if so, how many?

I have a computer that i use to mix record tracks from my portable digital 4 track. but i need a soundcard for it i think. i have a roland electric drum kit. but i plan to get an acoustic drum kit too (in the future). electronic drums is the way for me for now. it's the cheapest way thats for sure. I don't even have a room to setup a recording room or to mix in. I plan to record rhythm guitar and drums together then dub the other instruments. just bass, lead guitar, and vocals with be tracked after rhythm guitars and drums.

unfortunately, i don't even have a room for the studio yet. but to start with that, how many rooms is needed in a studio? just a mixing room where the console is and the band room where all the instruments are?

• Members
Do you want to be able to record your band, other people's bands, or just yourself?

As far as rooms, that's a whole subject in itself. It really depends on what you want to do...

I want to record just my own band. as well as rehearse in it.

If you're going to be doing it yourself, and with your own band, a lot of people would say you might be best served with one fairly large (and sonically well-isolated) room that has good dimensions and interior acoustic treatment instead of trying to do it in two or more rooms.

There are advantages and disadvantages to a single room vs a multi-room recording setup. First of all, in a single room you have everything in one place. Lines of sight between the band members is unrestricted. You don't have to run back and forth between the "studio" where the musicians are, and the "control room" where all the recording equipment is.

On the other hand, if you want to isolate things a bit better and reduce bleed between sound sources, a dual or multi-room setup has definite advantages. You can also monitor on speakers in the control room without having to worry about it bleeding into the recording or causing feedback, which can be a definite plus when setting up and trying to dial in mic positions and "getting sounds." The recording equipment itself is isolated too, allowing you to have to worry a lot less about things like computer fan noise interfering with your recordings. Multi-room setups also offer more variety in terms of room acoustics.

Are you thinking about renting / leasing a space specifically for recording and rehearsal, or buying a house or something? If so, there are tons of things to consider - most importantly are probably whether or not the landlord will allow you to make significant modifications to the room(s), and how well isolated they are from outside sounds, and whether or not the sounds you make within the space will escape it and disturb the neighbors.

Archived