Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a Christopher Nolan type of musician?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucksstudent View Post

Thankfully, I think most of my Youtube channel is quality material, but I still have recommendations based on what is available. All of my albums, save for one or two, are available for download on Mediafire and Dropbox, though I'll save you the pain of going through that.

I think my first five albums are pretty bad. By the time I made my sixth album, Chester, I was a senior in high school. I later rerecorded my first album, Urinal, and it's available on the Youtube channel. Aerial Coil, my seventh album, tends to be the favorite of select listeners.

But I don't things got really good until my 29th album, Away From Japan. That's the album that kind of rebooted my discography and revived my interest in recording. IMO, every album since then has merit.

Check out Songs From My Mental Breakdown, Sekushi Project, Dogs Without Horses, We Can't Afford Anymore Mistakes, and LaGrange. Those are my top five.

I have to say, your music is very abstract interns of how its' interpreted. Reminded me of the band M83's MidNight City. Especially this song: We Can't Afford Anymore Mistakes.

You could get the message across with a remix or some kind of R&B or Hip-Hop cross over, don't change the music but layer that on-top. Maybe you can let me use your style.

I got this strange feeling listening to your song, like some kind of Roswell sighting or watching something like people co-existing with robots.

Your music are like abstract paintings or seeing something in the distance, knowing it's there but not knowing what exactly it is.
    If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

Audio Icon

Comment

Originally posted by audioicon View Post

I have to say, your music is very abstract interns of how its' interpreted. Reminded me of the band M83's MidNight City. Especially this song: We Can't Afford Anymore Mistakes.

You could get the message across with a remix or some kind of R&B or Hip-Hop cross over, don't change the music but layer that on-top. Maybe you can let me use your style.

I got this strange feeling listening to your song, like some kind of Roswell sighting or watching something like people co-existing with robots.

Your music are like abstract paintings or seeing something in the distance, knowing it's there but not knowing what exactly it is.
      Ha! My wife loves "Midnight City."

Three different people approached me in high school about collaborating on Hip-Hop stuff, actually. It was odd to me, because I don't associate my music with that style. I think more in terms of Brian Eno and Robert Fripp, but my fifth album was actually an entirely different project meant for a Hip-Hop side thing. A friend asked me to make a bunch of tracks for his "rap band," so I just went crazy, but his band never panned out. Those tracks haven't seen the light of day since MySpace back in 2008.

My good friend and fellow forumite, AlamoJoe, refers to my work as esoteric and more akin to abstract painting. If only other people approached it that way.

Thank you so much for listening. Even one person makes a huge difference to me!

Comment

Ha! My wife loves "Midnight City."

Three different people approached me in high school about collaborating on Hip-Hop stuff, actually. It was odd to me, because I don't associate my music with that style. I think more in terms of Brian Eno and Robert Fripp, but my fifth album was actually an entirely different project meant for a Hip-Hop side thing. A friend asked me to make a bunch of tracks for his "rap band," so I just went crazy, but his band never panned out. Those tracks haven't seen the light of day since MySpace back in 2008.

My good friend and fellow forumite, AlamoJoe, refers to my work as esoteric and more akin to abstract painting. If only other people approached it that way.

Thank you so much for listening. Even one person makes a huge difference to me!

Personally, I listen to music in a componentized fashion. A song has many layers as you already know and so I try to not just listen but to immerse myself into my own perceived thoughts of the artist.

Given the saturation of the music scene, your music really stands outs, in some cases dark in a good way and I think you can create a whole different genre if properly blended with something else.
        Last edited by audioicon; 07-27-2017, 01:16 PM.
        If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

Audio Icon

Comment

Originally posted by audioicon View Post
          Are you a Christopher Nolan type of musician?
          I felt that way before Nolan did... about the last two decades at least. So, Christopher Nolan is a Beck type of guy.

Especially the last decade or so I would say technology and distribution models have done more harm than good to music and movies.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

But I don't things got really good until my 29th album, Away From Japan. That's the album that kind of rebooted my discography and revived my interest in recording. IMO, every album since then has merit.
            I'm not sure where the Tsuchiya Seven material falls into that timeline, but I like the mix of ambient, industrial, electronic, etc...sounds like there's eBow in there...correct?
            Last edited by Anderton; 07-28-2017, 09:45 AM.
            N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by Beck View Post

I felt that way before Nolan did... about the last two decades at least. So, Christopher Nolan is a Beck type of guy.

Especially the last decade or so I would say technology and distribution models have done more harm than good to music and movies.

Here is another way I see it:

There are no rules of the game and everything is subjective. I can record rocks in a empty soup can and that is my song, period. However, I think when some people stay at the genesis of things, it helps preserve a level of quality.

If everyone simply stayed in the current, we would have no consciousness about the past, the biggest benefits people like Nolan or Quincy Jones brings is that they are references and symbols of what things have been, the contracts between brilliant and something else.

I strongly believe that we are better as people and the things we make are better when we can think critically and the solutions don't come easy.
              Like NASA, Nikola Tesla or Thomas Edison, just to name a few. Imagine what these guys were thinking?

I listen to most songs and watch most movies but certain things will forever stay with me simply because of the deep appreciation for the process.
              I love the movie Lincoln but I love it even more knowing Daniel Day Lewis stayed in character. I also love the Pianist (Roman Polanski) but I love it even more knowing it was actually cold and the directory refused to allow heaters during certain shots so that he can capture the actor's reaction to the cold.

Bob Marley has been gone for almost 40 years and every time I listen, it feels like the first time.

It has to be something more than the music,

Audio Icon

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

I'm not sure where the Tsuchiya Seven material falls into that timeline, but I like the mix of ambient, industrial, electronic, etc...sounds like there's eBow in there...correct?
                TheTsuchiyaSeven was the result of me retiring my name after my twenty-eighth album and trying something very different. The first album was mostly synth and drum machine with some guitar thrown on top. The second album was a lot more concise and was more like my normal Experimental/Ambient style, but the EP was totally different than my original vision.

eBow is in a lot of my material, but definitely on TheTsuchiyaSeven stuff.

Comment

I think that there are some modern technologies that have devalued musicianship. Like when people treat the process of recording their so called music like it's a trip to the photo mill at the mall. 'Can you take in my waist some? I even wore a tight shirt so you could make it look like I have a six pack underneath. Oh and smooth out the crows feet and give me a tan?' It's not like they jogged and did sit-ups for a few months, or years to get in shape. It's the same to me then when someone auto - tunes the crap out of their vocals, perhaps under the guise of artistic choice, when the truth is that it was the only way to make what they had done listenable in any sense.

I remember this Sheryl Crow/Kid Rock ballade from some years ago. There's Crow being Crow, and then K.R. enters with...the Cher effect. Does anyone really believe that was purely an artistic choice? Or is it far more likely that K.R. doesn't sing so great-especially compared to Ms. Crow. and it was the only way it could be presented.

As with so many photoshopped images-we now have a world full of music-like noise. The genuine article seems ever more rare.

At least when I go to see a ballet I can still see people that can dance and do so without a net. The skill and human endeavor of it all matters still, there anyway.
                  Last edited by RockViolin; 09-13-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X