Band Names

• Members

I was talking with a musician friend today, and he mentioned some great band names that he had come up with that never saw the light of day.

It got me to thinking about Band Names - Real ones and ones that never were discovered or even ones you've thought up.

What are some of the names you've come up with or some of your favorite band names over the years?

Oh, by the way — the two names he mentioned: Chocolate Broccoli and the other was Orphan Socks

:)

• Members

I wanted to name a band, "They're Back!" because I thought an ad in the entertainment section would draw people in. The rest of the band didn't like the idea.

Naming a band is difficult and it usually goes through stages:

1) Everybody puts in their best name, but because they like their name best, they reject all the others

2) Everybody gets their feelings hurt (sensitive artist syndrome)

3) People start suggesting names that they don't really like that much, sometimes even silly ones, because they don't want to get their feelings hurt again, and well, if you didn't like "Chrome Muffler Bearings", I thought it was pretty silly when I suggested it.

4) It goes on and eventually they get tired of trying to choose, and settle on something that wasn't as good as any of the first suggestions.

Thinking out loud now. A band name needs to be:

1) Easy to remember

2) A little unusual to stand out from the crowd

3) Easy to spell and short so that people can find you on the Internet

Considering that many of the best names have been used up already, it's not an easy thing.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Thanks, I thought so.

I saw an ad in the entertainment section with our picture and the words "They're Back!" splashed across the ad.

I figured it would draw people in who didn't know the name of the band figuring if they are back, they must be good.

But the rest of the guys in the band thought it was stupid.

Such is life.

Archived