Craig - you got quote of the week again in Pro Sound News

Quote of the Week "Did you get your questionnaire from Apple and Microsoft about what audio/video-oriented features you wanted in their latest operating systems? Neither did I, so as usual, we cross our fingers that the next OS to which we upgrade will fix more things than it breaks. Sometimes we strike gold—Core Audio comes to mind—and sometimes we don’t (Windows 8, anyone?)." —Craig Anderton in "The Big 10"

They need to fix their subscriptions thing though... when I click on the link in the email they sent me, it's asking me yet again to sign up, and I just (re)did so the last time you had quote of the week, which was not very long ago...

• Members
Not happy with audio quality in my Toshiba Click 2 hybrid. The Realtek audio is the worst Windows audio I've ever had. But otherwise I'm happy w/the device' date=' a tablet laptop hybrid. Good for work. Good for watching videos. 500 gig HD. But the EQ settings all sound bad. [/quote']

It seems like the quality of converters in consumer devices is going down. Maybe it's just expectation bias. Probably if I went looking at old portable CD players in the back of closets and the like I'd find the audio quality is dismal as it is from many/most phones, tablets and computer built-in sound systems. Still, we do expect technology to improve the quality of what they provide over time and I'm not sure that has really happened either.

A tablet combined with a streaming music library or service could be a pretty nice hi fi accessory -- if it wasn't for the mediocre sound quality we tend to get from such consumer devices. When I got my new computer (a good-performing, nothing-fancy 4 core / 8 GB Dell) I noticed the 24/96 (or was it 192? I wasn't paying that much attention as 192 kHz is like having a shirtpocket transistor radio with 28 transistors in 1962, seems to me), I was wondering how the built-in sound -- which was marginally but noticeably better than the Realtek-chipped computer it replaced in direct comparison -- would stack up against my 'pro' converters. But after a bunch of cable swapping (no ABX possible) and sample rate flipping I decided that, while an improvement, it still wasn't as good as my good ol' MOTU 828mkII, which is not exactly Prism but continues to serve.

Archived