Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Status of "Featured Artist"

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Status of "Featured Artist"

    If SSL or Gibson is looking for one, here I am. Just saying...

  • #2
    Don't bother, mate. Being a PreSonus Featured Artist hasn't done me any good. I'm not even on their list, even though I signed a contract with them in 2013
    smoke - new album
    the mirror - album
    storm - album
    the asylum - forum

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MarkydeSad View Post
      Don't bother, mate. Being a PreSonus Featured Artist hasn't done me any good. I'm not even on their list, even though I signed a contract with them in 2013
      Did you get any gear? Its all about the gear!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

        Did you get any gear? Its all about the gear!
        Actually, yes

        Mike Rivers alerted me to Studio One (free). The folks at PreSonus (specifically, a guy I met in London) gave me an upgrade to Studio One Professional

        So I suppose I'm being a tad ungenerous...
        smoke - new album
        the mirror - album
        storm - album
        the asylum - forum

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MarkydeSad View Post

          Mike Rivers alerted me to Studio One (free). The folks at PreSonus (specifically, a guy I met in London) gave me an upgrade to Studio One Professional
          And they never gave me anything but a boot off their forum in exchange for "artist development."

          Last edited by MikeRivers; 01-07-2015, 03:46 PM.
          --
          "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
          Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not really sure what these endorsments really do. I guess the trade is you get free stuff in return for the use of your name.

            Most of the equations probably aren't that equal anyway... maybe a company wants to help a musician out who they like, and there's really not all that much in it for the company. Or alternatively, a company gets a big boost by saying so-and-so plays their instruments, which is more valuable than the instruments they actually send to that musician.

            I'm not really sure what a company can really do for an artist tho.

            we had one company approach my band with an interest in putting together a video with several of their artists playing together... kind of a cool idea, but never happened.


            I'm sure craig would have more thoughts than any of us about this...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post

              And they never game me anything but a boot off their forum in exchange for "artist development."

              smoke - new album
              the mirror - album
              storm - album
              the asylum - forum

              Comment


              • #8

                Originally posted by Goober(s) View Post
                I'm not really sure what these endorsments really do. I guess the trade is you get free stuff in return for the use of your name.

                Most of the equations probably aren't that equal anyway... maybe a company wants to help a musician out who they like, and there's really not all that much in it for the company. Or alternatively, a company gets a big boost by saying so-and-so plays their instruments, which is more valuable than the instruments they actually send to that musician.

                I'm not really sure what a company can really do for an artist tho.

                we had one company approach my band with an interest in putting together a video with several of their artists playing together... kind of a cool idea, but never happened.


                I'm sure craig would have more thoughts than any of us about this...

                What happened in my case was this:

                As you may know, I was invited by Craig to a Line 6 event in London in July 2013. So my good lady wife and I set off early and got there a little late (London traffic!)

                Met Craig, and at one point me, my wife, Craig and a guy from PreSonus called Rodney were sitting at a table on the roof-terrace outside. It was a rare sunny day in England, you see

                Anyway, Craig was being very complimentary to me in front of Rodney, and I mentioned that I had the free version of PreSonus' Studio One DAW. Rodney then offered to email me a code which would give me an upgrade to Studio One Professional

                Thinking about it now, I don't think I was offered Featured Artist status at the time. Rather, it was a few days later. I received a PDF contract, which I signed and emailed back to PreSonus

                And that's kinda where I am now. I'm officially a PreSonus Featured Artist, but I don't feature on their list. But hey, I got a free top-of-the-line DAW so I can't really complain
                smoke - new album
                the mirror - album
                storm - album
                the asylum - forum

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MarkydeSad View Post



                  What happened in my case was this:

                  As you may know, I was invited by Craig to a Line 6 event in London in July 2013. So my good lady wife and I set off early and got there a little late (London traffic!)

                  Met Craig, and at one point me, my wife, Craig and a guy from PreSonus called Rodney were sitting at a table on the roof-terrace outside. It was a rare sunny day in England, you see

                  Anyway, Craig was being very complimentary to me in front of Rodney, and I mentioned that I had the free version of PreSonus' Studio One DAW. Rodney then offered to email me a code which would give me an upgrade to Studio One Professional

                  Thinking about it now, I don't think I was offered Featured Artist status at the time. Rather, it was a few days later. I received a PDF contract, which I signed and emailed back to PreSonus

                  And that's kinda where I am now. I'm officially a PreSonus Featured Artist, but I don't feature on their list. But hey, I got a free top-of-the-line DAW so I can't really complain

                  sounds like they gave you a free software upgrade as a courtesy, and accounted for it under their Featured Artist program as an administrative thing.


                  That said, they should actually feature you because you're a great story -- delivery man by day, weekend warrior musician by... weekend. You use modest equipment and come up with great and great-sounding tunes.




                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Goober(s) View Post
                    I'm not really sure what these endorsments really do. I guess the trade is you get free stuff in return for the use of your name.

                    Most of the equations probably aren't that equal anyway... maybe a company wants to help a musician out who they like, and there's really not all that much in it for the company. Or alternatively, a company gets a big boost by saying so-and-so plays their instruments, which is more valuable than the instruments they actually send to that musician.

                    I'm not really sure what a company can really do for an artist tho.
                    I would imagine the company makes out better long term than the artist in $$$. Look at Waves…. they pretty much have the monopoly on "featured artists". Seriously, how many engineers and producers do they have on their roster? At least 3 dozen at this point. I love Waves but its their plug ins have gotten a wee bit silly recently with the De-Breath…. really?

                    So, if you`re Waves and you create a plug in package for Chris Lord-Alge, I would imagine thats good publicity for CLA, he probably gets a % of sales off his collection and Waves probably sells that package like hot cakes because if you own the CLA collection, you`ll mix like CLA! Isn`t that the subliminal message behind all gear ads?

                    In my case, I just want to be clear, I would be very interested in being an SSL featured artist because I like the gear. They wouldn`t sell 1 extra piece because of me!



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

                      I would imagine the company makes out better long term than the artist in $$$. Look at Waves…. they pretty much have the monopoly on "featured artists". Seriously, how many engineers and producers do they have on their roster? At least 3 dozen at this point. I love Waves but its their plug ins have gotten a wee bit silly recently with the De-Breath…. really?

                      So, if you`re Waves and you create a plug in package for Chris Lord-Alge, I would imagine thats good publicity for CLA, he probably gets a % of sales off his collection and Waves probably sells that package like hot cakes because if you own the CLA collection, you`ll mix like CLA! Isn`t that the subliminal message behind all gear ads?

                      In my case, I just want to be clear, I would be very interested in being an SSL featured artist because I like the gear. They wouldn`t sell 1 extra piece because of me!


                      that's not a typical deal tho. in the waves case the plugin includes settings from the producer, who is probably getting a %. it's more of a business deal.


                      a traditional featured artist is just some musician who uses the company's gear. the company sends a freebie to the musician, and puts a pic of the musician on its website.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have a couple of friends who are Martin featured artists. They got that way by asking Martin to customize a guitar to their specs, and paid for it, without knowing for sure what it would turn out like. They were happy with their guitars, but this is someone who, 35 years ago, spent several hours in a music store playing every D-28 that they had, chose one, and I think she still has it.

                        They do get a good deal on Martin strings, but they prefer a different brand (which, I believe also gives them a discount in exchange for using their names).
                        --
                        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                        Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Goober(s) View Post


                          sounds like they gave you a free software upgrade as a courtesy, and accounted for it under their Featured Artist program as an administrative thing.


                          That said, they should actually feature you because you're a great story -- delivery man by day, weekend warrior musician by... weekend. You use modest equipment and come up with great and great-sounding tunes.



                          That's very kind of you. Thanks
                          smoke - new album
                          the mirror - album
                          storm - album
                          the asylum - forum

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Goober called it as we all see it Mark..As we see you that is
                            http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post
                              Goober called it as we all see it Mark..As we see you that is

                              smoke - new album
                              the mirror - album
                              storm - album
                              the asylum - forum

                              Comment













                              Working...
                              X