the Apple Pardigm part 2

techristian

• Members

So has it been a whole 3 years since I wrote part 1 ?? But as with all things, some things get better with time and I have experienced a few things that may enrich this article even more.

Regarding Apple VS PC, working with a consistent piece of hardware is easier than a mishmash of motherboards and 3rd party add ons. I learned that the hard way , recently ,when a tiny FRACTION of my memory was bad. It would only fail once out of every 40 BILLION reads/writes or so, but it was enough to plague me for years. When you remove the hardware from your troubleshooting , it is much easier. Conversely though, when my power supply failed, I'm sure that it was cheaper to replace in my tower.....(if you can even get into an Apple to replace a power supply) than on an Apple product.

The cost of Apple software used to be a big factor for me. Back in the day when MIDI was starting, you could get decent "IBM compatible" MIDI sequencers for $50-$100 whereas Apple products were north of $200. The big difference with MIDI interfaces , between the 2 , generally speaking, most PC, interfaces were installed inside the cabinet, whereas Apple interfaces were externals plugged into the serial port. Same for video editing. There are many inexpensive video programs for under $100 for PCs. And that is the thing...MANY ...someone I know has said that there are 5 Windows programs for every ONE Apple program, that is , 5 applications that can do the same type of work or accomplish the same thing. This also brings the price down, as well as many more PC users. This may have changed in the last 10 years though. On the other side, it is nice that the OS is cheaper for Apple.

As far as software compatibility , both Apple and Windows programs suffer the same problem. I have well designed software that worked for Windows NT, ME, XP ,7 and now even windows 8.1 . I also have poorly designed software that only worked with ONE version of Windows. I have $1000 worth of Windows software that will no longer run on my current Win 8 system...software that I paid good money for. The same thing happened with my old Mac . A $200 version of SoftSynth only worked with one Mac OS version, and was so heavily copy protected that I was unable to get it to work on anything else. The software vendor may feel that they can sell you a new version every year this way, but I will tend not to buy software from a vendor, when it is so poorly designed.

And we need not talk about Windows only. PC users also have the option of over 30 FLAVORS of Linux. Linux can be as easy to run as Windows , if you run Ubuntu, but Linux has one thing that beats out Windows. If you have a Linux computer set up as an internet appliance, Linux is the fastest to boot. It may LOOK like windows 8.1 is booting fast now, but it is an illusion. If Win8 needs updates, you could be easily waiting 15 minutes before startup is done. This is an advantage with both Linux and Apple. Since they are not the target of as many viruses they are less weighed down with antivirus stuff running in the

background.

Both Microsoft and Apple , are big on Digital Rights Management....protecting the content of video and music producers, but this can also be a pain for end users. You should be allowed to be able to play that same piece of music in your home, out in your garage and in your car, if you want, without having to buy 3 copies of the same music. Some DRM is so restrictive that it won't allow this, and Apple ITUNES has been the worst for this type of thing, in the past.

The next time Apple VS Android......to be continued

For the first article, click the link below.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...lla-50/271934-

• Members

A lot of problems with any computer are generated by the user. Last night I spent over an hour removing, and trying to remove, crapware from the little woman's Win8 laptop. It's frustrating for me just trying to navigate Win8 which seems more like some kind of a poorly designed webpage than an operating system. I do have a Win7 machine and still a couple of WinXP computers but I spend the majority of my time working with my MacBook Pro computers. Anyway, I was able to remove all but one of the crap programs with minimal resistance from the Add/Remove Programs screen. There is one though called Search Protect that kept telling me I didn't have permission to remove it even after I'd logged into the supposed admin account. I'm still not sure what to do about that one, I couldn't remove the directories at Win Explorer either.

But contrast that with the WinXP computer I bought in 2006. It's been on the internet since day one but has never suffered a problem, the original restore disc for it remains sealed in the original cellophane because the computer works as well as the day I bought it.

• Members
Anyway' date=' I was able to remove all but one of the crap programs with minimal resistance from the Add/Remove Programs screen. There is one though called Search Protect that kept telling me I didn't have permission to remove it even after I'd logged into the supposed admin account. I'm still not sure what to do about that one, I couldn't remove the directories at Win Explorer either..[/quote']

This one could get messy. You may have to go in with REGEDIT and delete all reference to the offender.

Dan

• Members

With regards to Linux, it's worth noting that OS X is a POSIX2001/UNIX03 operating system (so more standardized than Linux), but many programs that run on Linux are also ported to OS X.

As for DRM, iTunes Home Sharing and the fact that iTunes purchased music hasn't had DRM applied to the files for many years now (all the files are m4a's now, not m4p's) has more or less made that problem a thing of the past.

Archived