SCORE at the dump

undergod12

• Members

Went to the dump this afternoon to check out the swap shop and scored a major find. Amongst the piles of junk I came across what looked to be a studio equipment rack. It was an odd bit of kit - not like any rack I'd seen before. It looked like two racks jammed together with about 4 equipment shelves bolted in. The rack shelves alone would be quite useful so I threw it on the old pickup truck along with the Sony cassette deck I also found. When I got it home I gave it a look over and found out that it was a Middle Atlantic rack model # SRSR-2-12. A quick Google search later and I found out just what I'd landed: http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/srsr.htm

Effen Sweet!! I called up the nearest distributor for a price quote and, new, they go for $375. The things people throw out.

Oh yeah, I also scored a hardshell Samsonite suitcase that I'll turn into a pedalboard case, a grip wrench (one of those tools you use to take off oil filters), a vintage-style hand mixer, and a box full of new age/feminist self help tapes which I plan to sample the {censored} out of.

Found%20Rack.jpg

• Members

Yup. No problems during playback. It will make a nice replacement for my old JVC dual deck which has developed a significant "speed wobble" during playback.

BTW: I tested the rack and the rotating slide rail function works flawlessly though I'll need to find some way of securing it so it won't tip over when loaded with gear. I'm sure the landlord would not approve of me bolting it directly to the floor.

• Members

My grandfather made his living when he came to Canada 1925-1960 by riding around with a horse and yep...picking up junk. Some people in this city have even become millionaires by picking up metal in the alleys during the II World War.

I may may be following in your footsteps undergod when I retire, because , after all, it is already in my blood !

Dan

• Members

I'm in Wellfleet, MA right now and with the summer tourist season winding down the pickings are good at the swap shop. There are some people around here with way* too much money and the more perfectly good stuff they choose to throw out, the better for me.

*example: out sailing off P-town last month and was passed by a yacht with a full-size helicopter parked on the back. WTF.

Archived