Lap steel guitar

UstadKhanAli

• Members

So I sometimes go and see bands, such as I See Hawks in LA, and someone will be playing a lap steel guitar. And it sounds so gorgeous. So it made me think that maybe I might want to try it. I play a some guitar already, and although I'm not super technical or know many songs other than my band's songs, I'm comfortable on one. How hard is a lap steel to play? What's a decent cheap beginner's model?

http://search.ebay.com/lap-steel (eBay)

Maybe I can get Jeff Leites really into playing lap steel by asking this question! :D

• Moderators

Lap steel is pretty easy if you have a good feel for dampening behind the barred note. If you've ever tried playing slide on your electric and learned to quelch the buzz... even a little bit, you'll be fine on a steel. It's much easier due to the fretboard not coming into play. You can buy even semivintage steels for reasonable prices. Under 200.

David Lindley is a god.

• Members

We're on the same wave length, I am asking for the Rogue lapsteel for X-mas.

I tried using a pen to raise the action on one of my guitars to make a lap steel, which worked OK, but the strings are closer together than on most dedicated lap steels.

I love steel guitar, with and without pedals, but the standard C&W sound of the sixties and after (ala Pete Drake, Sneaky Pete Kleinow) is my least favorite use of the instrument. I prefer older country music, country swing, country jazz, old Hawaiin music and Sacred steel. Players like Speedy West, Jerry Bird, Buddy Emmons, Jerry Douglas and Robert Randolph.

• Members

I don't know enough about the different styles, but I did see Sneaky Pete once, and was really moved by what he was playing. My favorite is probably Paul Lacques of I See Hawks in LA. I like the lap steel with some analog delay and the nuance that a volume pedal brings to it.

• Members

:D

Funny you should mention that Ken. A few years ago I was thinking about making the simple steel lap guitar described here:

http://buildyourguitar.com/books/elap/eBook_Sample_full.pdf

Maybe someday I still will, but I think the only thing I'd ever play on it is Sleepwalk :lol: I want to follow through on the flute right now. I hope to pickup up a router bit that I need for it tomorrow.

• CMS Author

NAMM is coming in a little more than a month. Unless you're looking for a Christmas present, see what the show brings. There's a company that I can't remember who, a couple of years ago, was showing a really nicely made lap steel for a target retail price of $100. It may be one of the brands you've turned up already but I just can't remember what it was. The company also makes pedal steel guitars, so it might have been Carter, who's always at the show.

Archived