OT - for the cooks

• Members

There's this Mexican dish made of goat meat called birria de chivo that has historically been made by cooking it underground in a pit. Gus can chime in. I believe it's from Central Mexico.

Then, of course, there is the 100 year old eggs, which are also stored underground.

Anyway, thanks John, I'll have to check out some recipes!!

There's this Mexican dish made of goat meat called birria de chivo that has historically been made by cooking it underground in a pit. Gus can chime in. I believe it's from Central Mexico.

Then, of course, there is the 100 year old eggs, which are also stored underground.

Anyway, thanks John, I'll have to check out some recipes!!

Birria!

Oh my gosh...

Birria and Barbacoa (not related to a BBQ) de chivo (goat) are cooked the same way. I guess it is all around the country.

• Members

I've had birria de chivo several times, Gus. The first time I had it, it was cooked by a chef from central Mexico. It was one of the most mouth-watering, delicious things I've ever had. I couldn't believe how good it was. He cooked it for everyone in my classroom where I work.

The subsequent times I've had it have been in restaurants. It's been okay, nothing fantastic. But if anyone ever has the chance to have it at either a really good restaurant or home-cooked or by a really good chef, don't pass it up.

~~~

I forgot to mention that the 100 Year Old Eggs are a Chinese recipe. See, to me Chinese food is just food... :D:D

But anyway, here's some more information about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

Century egg, also known as preserved egg, hundred-year egg, thousand-year egg and thousand-year-old egg is a Chinese cuisine ingredient made by preserving duck, chicken or quail eggs in mixture of clay, ash, salt, lime, and rice straw for several weeks to several months, depending on the method of processing. After the process is completed, the yolk becomes a dark green, cream-like substance with a strong odor of sulfur and ammonia, while the white becomes a dark brown, transparent jelly with little flavor or taste. The transforming agent in century egg is its alkaline material, which gradually raises the pH of egg from around 9 to 12 or more.[1] This chemical process breaks down some of the complex, flavorless proteins and fats, which produces a variety of smaller flavorful compounds.

• Members

I went to an art festival in the late 70's. They had a pig in a pit all night with hot coals and such. Have no idea how they prepared things but it was excellent! We got there early so we ate 'high off the hog' so to speak; the back meat is really taste-ee.

Thing is, by the end of the night the pig was just about gone. My bandmate and I were watching and this fellow comes up all staggering from the keg I suppose, and scrutinized the pig searching for some meat to cut off. He ended up lifting up the tail and there was a tiny bit of meat surrounding the asshole which he sliced off, put on his hamburger bun and turned around biting and enjoying and just grossing us out!

Guess there's meat everywhere on a pig...

Archived