Heard of the 70's German band called NEU! ?

rasputin1963

• Members

Hey guys,

HCSSS regular member Alfonso from Italy has turned me onto some experimental German stuff from the early 70's.

Two guys broke away from Kraftwerk early on and founded an outfit simply called NEU!

Hard to describe it.... except it's stripped-down, minimalist rock.... hypnotic, psychedelic and trippy. Perhaps their "next-of-kin" would be the Velvet Underground?

No melodies as such or stories or lyrics.... just this driving, hypnotic groove with Fripp-like wackiness played over it. Many have said this group was 15 years ahead of their time...

I'm really taken with NEU! and have been playing their three albums (1972, 1973, 1975) nonstop for the last two days!:cool:

See what you think...here's a sample:

ZbAWBElA6dA

23HfAHSKWlk

• Members

I have their first album, and it was way ahead of it's time. Stereolab (among others) used that "Motorik" style that NEU! pioneered in many of their songs, many years later.

For example (from their 1994 album "Mars Audiac Quartet"), this sounds just like a NEU! song:

"Nihilist Assault Group"

This song from their 1993 album "Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements" sounds like they copied "Hallogallo" by NEU! in much of it:

"Jenny Ondioline"

-

• Members

Yeah, I have Neu 75 (and also the related La! Neu Goldregen, which I guess is from '98? That doesn't seem right but that's the date I found at AllMusic and Wikipedia... maybe the last 12 years was longer than it seems when I look back) ... it's been a while since I've put them on, though. My collection of 70s outsider progressive blossomed in the late 70s when I was prowling the used bin in my local punk record shop (the once-semi-world-famous Zed records). I picked up a number of things by Can, Faust, and the Neu albums... and then, in the 80s, one of my ex-bandmate buddies gave me a huge slug of his records when he sold everything he owned and moved to New York. (When he came back, I tried to give them all back -- maybe not terribly hard -- but he insisted he'd moved on, musically.)

Archived