A $300 house?

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I'm following up my ridiculous post about a hamburger using two Krispy Kreme doughnuts as the buns with a more serious but really cool sort of thing.

A guy for the Tibet Connection has been working on this idea through housingrevolution.org, and I thought it was too cool not to share:

http://housingrevolution.org/2011/09/300-dollar-house/

300-dollar-house-split.jpg

Two visions of what a $300 House could look like. Left: Harvey Lacey's entry

• Members

Its not the cost of the house, its the taxes on the land the homeowner has to pay after you build it that kills you.

I guess it depends on where you live. My area code is not too bad with taxes...$5000-$6000... its the housing prices that`ll give you a small heart attack... I look at my house and think of that SSL Duality SE I gave up...:mad:

Seriously, the $300 house is not a reality. The powers that be will never allow it, they can`t stay filthy rich if they can`t lend you their money.

• Members

But remember, it's not just in this country, and $300 is just for the structure, not for land, fees, or anything else. The project is primarily aimed at homeless/poor in other countries. If someone is living in a shack, they'd do a lot better with a $300 house. The people also realize that they may not be able to build a $300 in more expensive, more developed countries. It may be $3000. Or more. But $300 is their target for many countries. They have some amazing ideas already, and have opened it up to architects.

Although affordable housing from sustainable, energy-efficient materials has been made before, they're really throwing down a challenge to see if they can make this ultra-affordable, using materials that can be found easily in the countries that they build this rather than relying on people to import materials, which obviously makes great horse sense. So consequently, a cheap-ass house in one country may look wildly different from another country.

And just like we might be able to benefit from anything that's innovative, we as a society may be able to eventually benefit from projects such as this one in simply how we approach building houses, rethinking the old model. Let's face it, building a house in the U.S. is often silly expensive, so if we can get something that's better, it's great for all of us. And if not, then...well, we're not any worse off than we were before, I suppose! :D

• Members

You can build a house in the country around here using pole-barn techniques - - there are no building codes!

(My first apartment, in town, when I moved to the area had water pipes running up the heating duct, with romex (110V power lines) duct taped to the pipes. All the making of an exciting night: The pipe leaks, floods the gas furnace, the gas seeps everywhere in the house, and the water eventually causes a short, blowing up the house... good times!)

Archived