Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craig --- Could we get a dedicated electronic/computer musicians forum?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig --- Could we get a dedicated electronic/computer musicians forum?

This forum is great but it's kinda slow moving... I feel like I never came here because it just always seemed like "Craig's forum" rather than an electronic musicians forum.

I respect you a lot and that stuff is talked about in here, but this forum is sort of vague in that it covers the work of engineers, soundmen, producers, really anyone involved with music at all.... And these days computer musicians are becoming more and more prominent and are growing in number. Has to be a huge part of the MF customer base

Everyone else gets their own forum, why can't we??
    My electronic music project, KHALIL, just released its first EP, "tell Us What Happened" on Thumbs Up Records in Florida. If you are into chill, experimental beat music with keyboards, saxophone and sample manipulation, check it out:http://khalilduo.bandcamp.com/Piano Interperetation of Fleedwood Mac's "Landslide" --https://soundcloud.com/ryan7585/landslide

Until we get such a forum - if we do - please feel free to post computer stuff here. Especially if you're intelligent, witty and/or friendly, in which case you should post here constantly!

Seriously, we do discuss computer stuff often, and I've gotten some great advice here, so post away.
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli
      View Post

Seriously, we do discuss computer stuff often, and I've gotten some great advice here, so post away.

What he said

Consider this your dedicated computer music forum for now. There's a lot of computer-related content here, and based on the posts, I'd say no one would object if there was more. Start them threads, and I think you'll get a response.
      Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

This forum has saved my hide more than when I was experiencing computer woes or in helping to point the way when making decisions that were computer-related. I've also gotten a lot of help with creating websites here as well.
        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli
          View Post

This forum has saved my hide more than when I was experiencing computer woes or in helping to point the way when making decisions that were computer-related. I've also gotten a lot of help with creating websites here as well.

Based on who was asking, my guess is that he was looking for a forum to discuss making electronic music using techniques and programs to create combinations of computer generated sounds rather than modifying and arranging previously recorded sounds. I don't think he's looking for a special forum for general computer discussions, choosing computers or software, finding and fixing or working around bugs, and creative ideas for things that use a computer.

Nothing wrong with discussing, for lack of a better term, pure computer generated music here, here as long as there are enough visitors who take an active interest and can sustain discussions. Same as with any forum.
          --
          "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
          Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers
            View Post

Based on who was asking, my guess is that he was looking for a forum to discuss making electronic music using techniques and programs to create combinations of computer generated sounds rather than modifying and arranging previously recorded sounds. I don't think he's looking for a special forum for general computer discussions, choosing computers or software, finding and fixing or working around bugs, and creative ideas for things that use a computer.

Nothing wrong with discussing, for lack of a better term, pure computer generated music here, here as long as there are enough visitors who take an active interest and can sustain discussions. Same as with any forum.

i think he's looking for people making electronic music under 40
            I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.

Comment

Yeah, I misread that a bit last night for whatever reason, but he's definitely looking for electronic musicians, not what I was going on about.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Goobers
                View Post

This, Although I feel comfortable here as I'm sure most of us do here at the "Old Folk's Home".

At least no one has hollered "Get OFF the stage Grampa!" yet(I know that day is comming).

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Goobers
                  View Post

I'm thinking he's probably less concerned with chronological age than a contemporary orientation. More Skrillex than Switched-on-Bach, so to speak.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue
                    View Post

I'm thinking he's probably less concerned with chronological age than a contemporary orientation. More Skrillex than Switched-on-Bach, so to speak.

haha that's not all wrong, but i would kill myself before listening to skrillex. I make stuff kinda like four tet, tycho, flying lotus, etc. I also do abstract improv, going between ambient and noise and whatever depending on what I feel like doing that day

But yeah I really do appreciate that this forum is here and it is a wealth of information.. But honestly I just can't get excited here. It's too method oriented and there's not any discussion at all about the amazing things people are doing in the more experimental scenes.

The ideas that are proliferating through those scenes are really interesting and usually employ techniques that have never even been used before. If we could have a place here to talk about all that then we could all learn together and get excited about things together, etc. Build on it all.. It would be really awesome

There are some forums like that out there but they're small and usually sort of localized.

Would it be hard to get that accomplished? Another forum .... Electronic/Experimental? or is that just too much to ask with all the server issues and red tape?
                    My electronic music project, KHALIL, just released its first EP, "tell Us What Happened" on Thumbs Up Records in Florida. If you are into chill, experimental beat music with keyboards, saxophone and sample manipulation, check it out:http://khalilduo.bandcamp.com/Piano Interperetation of Fleedwood Mac's "Landslide" --https://soundcloud.com/ryan7585/landslide

Comment

Also, there's no conceptual discussion on HC... nowhere to talk about how our music relates to the world and the times we're living in... nowhere to discuss what makes something revolutionary or have staying power. It's in the experimental and electronic scenes where these things get talked about the most.

it gets brought up some, but only in passing. It would the community so much if we had a place to go. I know there are a lot of HC users who are into this stuff and it would only spread after that

Comment

I mean no offense, of course, but i just kinda feel like this place is tech support for music

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ryan7585
                          View Post

haha that's not all wrong, but i would kill myself before listening to skrillex. I make stuff kinda like four tet, tycho, flying lotus, etc. I also do abstract improv, going between ambient and noise and whatever depending on what I feel like doing that day

But yeah I really do appreciate that this forum is here and it is a wealth of information.. But honestly I just can't get excited here. It's too method oriented and there's not any discussion at all about the amazing things people are doing in the more experimental scenes.

The ideas that are proliferating through those scenes are really interesting and usually employ techniques that have never even been used before. If we could have a place here to talk about all that then we could all learn together and get excited about things together, etc. Build on it all.. It would be really awesome

There are some forums like that out there but they're small and usually sort of localized.

Would it be hard to get that accomplished? Another forum .... Electronic/Experimental? or is that just too much to ask with all the server issues and red tape?

I would love for their to be a forum like that. I see what you're getting at. I was bleary-eyed and didn't realize what you were getting at before + not many people listen to experimental, ambient, or electronic music here so I wasn't expecting that. I like Four Tet, Flying Lotus (he's a local guy here, and I traveled with his cousin Oran to India and knew Alice Coltrane before she passed away as well), clouddead, Sun Araw, Solid Eye, some of the Spoek Mathambo stuff, and from a while back, I also liked some Oval, Pole, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Vidna Obmana, etc. from a little farther back. And I also like ambient stuff, like the stuff we make here as The Mercury Seven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-m8XYxkas

The one issue is that most people on this forum, at least from what I've seen, don't listen to experimental music, but it sounds like you have seen a lot of HC users who are into this, so who knows. As for discussing what makes something revolutionary, occasionally, conversations like that fly, but some of it gets derailed. I do enjoy some of the more philosophical threads that have gotten going in the past more. When this forum was housed on musicplayer.com, we had conversations like that more often, and I do miss that.

Comment

Since you like Flying Lotus, you might enjoy this, if you don' know it already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puWapHzP44o

Trippy video from Spoek Mathambo.

Comment

I find these examples to be appropriate background music (which sounds like at least most of it was played by a human rather than a computer program) for a video that I got bored with very quickly. But then there's no accounting for taste. What I like about you, Ken, is that you can dig this sort of music and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band as well.
                              --
                              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                              Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Working...
                              X