The Official Grammy Thread 2013

UstadKhanAli

• Moderators

I was very impressed with the performances last night. Of course, not everything was perfect, and frankly that's what I loved about it. Justine Timberlake sort of reminded everyone of how good he is as a performer. Sort of like "The guy most likely to win the King of Pop crown".

Jack White, though a little rocky at first with the all female group (no, not because they're women but because the nature of that type of instrumentation is a risk) then proceeded to step over to a real ROCK setup and blow the doors off the place. Fun.

And speaking of Fun, they were much appreciated, though I think they're a little green in some performance skills, their record shows so much gumption in the blending of styles and sounds. Old and new production techniques and songwriting ideas.

Gotye winning Record of the Year for Somebody That I Used to Know made absolute sense. It was the little song that could. And I still remember the effect it had on me for the first time listening as the male to female dialog exchange unfolded in the song. Though it is played out now, it really made its mark in a good way. The perfect pick.

The Black Keys were spot on and they were fun to hear with the additional instrumentation. Always good to see Mac in tribal headgear at the Wurly.

It was great to hear Sting sing like that again. Zig was great. Ed Shearen I love, and though Elton seemed to be slipping more and more as a singer, his piano chops in the Levon segment were spot on, Leon Russell inspired, goodness.

All in all, I really thought the show was very good.

Edit: Oh... and it's a shame that Taylor Swift missed her chance to be great. I wish she'd buckle down and work on some vocal power. Instead we got a very imprsesive stage show, which was fine and all... but with her skill as a writer, I'm still hoping she'll follow through and someday be great as singer. Didn't happen last night. Not bad, just not great. great legs though.

• Members

I have not watched the Grammys from start to finish in over 15 years and this year was no exception. Forgot it was on actually... I stumbled on it by accident during a commerical break from the hockey game. My wife wanted to watch it so I kept it on for a bit just to see what was going on.

I was actually impressed with the live performances enough to stay tuned to the end. Bruno Mars with Sting was cool, Jack Whites performance was refreshing, and of course the Elton John jam towards the end was great. I also decided to watch it this year without any expectations. I`m so used to being disappointed but I was pleasantly surprised this year. It looks like they made an attempt to get back to live performance with real musicians instead of pre-recorded stuff and the "imperfections", made for a more exciting event.

It was also good to see Jack White and The Black Keys recognized. I enjoy their records. I`m not familiar with the other winners so I cannot comment. 

The last thing I`ll say is: Rihanna looks a lot better with long hair, even though its fake but its a damn shame that she would go back to Chris Brown.  

• Moderators

Ernest Buckley wrote:

I have not watched the Grammys from start to finish in over 15 years and this year was no exception. Forgot it was on actually... I stumbled on it by accident during a commerical break from the hockey game. My wife wanted to watch it so I kept it on for a bit just to see what was going on.

I was actually impressed with the live performances enough to stay tuned to the end. Bruno Mars with Sting was cool, Jack Whites performance was refreshing, and of course the Elton John jam towards the end was great. I also decided to watch it this year without any expectations. I`m so used to being disappointed but I was pleasantly surprised this year. It looks like they made an attempt to get back to live performance with real musicians instead of pre-recorded stuff and the "imperfections", made for a more exciting event.

It was also good to see Jack White and The Black Keys recognized. I enjoy their records. I`m not familiar with the other winners so I cannot comment. 

The last thing I`ll say is: Rihanna looks a lot better with long hair, even though its fake but its a damn shame that she would go back to Chris Brown.  

Oh yeah, Bruno Mars was fabulous. And I was very happy to see that Rhianna can actually sing. She was great in her segment. And yeah, Chris Brown, I was joking with the wife and kid that LL should walk down to front row and pound Brown one is the face. I think that would've won a huge round of applause.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

Gotye winning Record of the Year for Somebody That I Used to Know made absolute sense. It was the little song that could. And I still remember the effect it had on me for the first time listening as the male to female dialog exchange unfolded in the song. Though it is played out now, it really made its mark in a good way. The perfect pick.

It was great to hear Sting sing like that again. Zig was great. Ed Shearen I love, and though Elton seemed to be slipping more and more as a singer, his piano chops in the Levon segment were spot on, Leon Russell inspired, goodness.

All in all, I really thought the show was very good.

Edit: Oh... and it's a shame that Taylor Swift missed her chance to be great. I wish she'd buckle down and work on some vocal power. Instead we got a very imprsesive stage show, which was fine and all... but with her skill as a writer, I'm still hoping she'll follow through and someday be great as singer. Didn't happen last night. Not bad, just not great. great legs though.

That Gotye song is really something special.

I love it when Sting sings like that.  The guy has such a great voice.  Bruno Mars is not really my thing, but you know, that guy can sing, dance, write catchy songs, the whole bit.  Seems quite talented.

Speaking of which, Timberlake sounded good singing throw-back soul songs.  Really quite good.  Again, not quite my thing, but done really well.

I would agree about Swift's performance, not bad, not great.  And great legs, yes.

Always liked Elton John's piano playing.  I thought his voice sounded pretty good, too.

Archived