Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah... but that's not the song he's writing.

Yeah. I know. I think it's a pretty good idea. I'm totally gonna try and workout that one.

Maya Angelou got me thinking too....There's something there - seeing how tall you stack up against a giant.... or telling a giant that you are 6-foot-one. Ain't that great? That's a natural human tendancy & it is a humurous situation plus it has the potential to be glamourous - the celebrity angle. There's a story song there - if you change Maya Angelou to a dead or Crazy famous legend people can see wanting to relate with: Elvis, or James Dean, or John Lennon.

Sinatra maybe or Dylan.

How many times has Bob Dylan gone out to pick up eggs or some **************** and the guy behind the counter was like: Hey Mr. Tambourine Man - I gotta song to play for you... I wrote it... I mean, Bob stopped going out for eggs decades ago because that **************** probably always happened to him. It's funny from our side but probably deadly sad and tiresome from his end. But that's how people be. That is what you do if you see Bob Dylan: You tell him about that song you wrote cause everybody knows he's good at writing songs.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Correction - &quot;max is wrong, abrasive and, likely, a felon&quot;<br />
    <br />
    finally found it ... the dumbest person on the internet. matximus.</div>

Comment

...a dead or Crazy famous legend people can see wanting to relate with: Elvis, or James Dean, or John Lennon.

Sinatra maybe or Dylan.

How many times has Bob Dylan gone out to pick up eggs or some **************** and the guy behind the counter was like: Hey Mr. Tambourine Man - I gotta song to play for you... I wrote it... I mean, Bob stopped going out for eggs decades ago because that **************** probably always happened to him. It's funny from our side but probably deadly sad and tiresome from his end. But that's how people be. That is what you do if you see Bob Dylan: You tell him about that song you wrote cause everybody knows he's good at writing songs.

I was on my way to Detroit
      Standing in LAX
      When seated at the pay TV chair
      I saw a man in Ray Ban specs
      His hair was slicked back
      Shiny and black
      Could that be him? If only...
      Only the Lonely?

So I mustered up some gumption
      Without being too coy
      I needed to know for sure
      If indeed this was Roy
      Sir, I've also been known
      To write songs of my own
      I can't believe I even dared
      Then he was off, Running Scared

Comment

Standing in LAX
        When seated at the pay TV chair
        Shiny and black
        Only the Lonely?

Without being too coy
        If indeed this was Roy
        To write songs of my own

That's funny. That's good. Roy Orbison: Totally awesome. Not played out like Elvis. But just as good as Elvis. He's mysterious. All the tragedy in his life. You've got the shades. The song titles. Awesome. Very clever.

Running Scared. I love it. That is seriously one of my Top Five songs of all time. He wrote it too. Unbelievable song. Unbelievable singer.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Correction - &quot;max is wrong, abrasive and, likely, a felon&quot;<br />
        <br />
        finally found it ... the dumbest person on the internet. matximus.</div>

Comment

Absolutely awesome Roy.

Comment

Years ago I was at LAX
            When, seated at the pay TV chair,
            Shiny and black
            Only the Lonely?

Without being too coy
            If indeed this was Roy
            To write songs of my own
            He tried to be nice,
            but looked at me twice,

I just have a feeling that Orbison would've been a bit more tolerant of fans.

LCK
            "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

dramey,

Do you have a chorus lyric in mind? I'd say that would be the best place drive home the story. This is where you could pin it to a particular city, or make it more general, e.g, Big Tobacco Country USA, etc.... or whatever you want to frame as the central place of this song.

Rick
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>&quot;Now and then... occasionally... it seems to have.... too many notes&quot;</i><br></div>

Comment

This is a song about Winston-Salem, NC. I've had this title in my head for years and keep meaning to do something with it. A few weeks back I'm doing some grocery shopping on a Sunday, went to put a six pack of beer in the cart and realized that they couldn't sell it to me as it wasn't noon yet. The hypocrisy of not being able to buy a 6 pack (for later I might add) on a Sunday morning because the local government thinks I should be spending that time in church learning about how Jesus turned water in to wine pushed me towards working on it a bit. I really hate this town.

Right now I'm just at the random lyric stage and a little brainstorming. I'm still trying to figure out the tone of the thing. I've got 3 pieces of music I could go with for this. One is a piano thing I threw together in EZ Keys, one is a folksy acoustic bit, and one is a harder rock song. I keep going back and forth between all of them, I could use a little more humor in the rock version, but I'm not sure I want to lose any of the bite.

I see this as being my "Walking in Memphis" except nothing cool ever happens here, ever.

The Maya Angelou line is true, I went to her house about a month ago to look at some flooring issues, and we shot the bull for 15 min or so. She is a cool old bird. I was this close to telling her that I was a bit of a poet myself... but then I chickened out.

The City That Cancer Built

We got outlaws, and we got blue laws.
                On Sunday we roll up the side walks
                A half a million hypocrites I count myself amongst.
                We got preachers, we got hookers
                Hell I got one in the trunk

It
                Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Wow. That's some crazy pickin'!

I love this: "Alabama's grand (the state, not the band)..."

LCK
                  "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

• Working...
                    X