Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Shoulda Been an Actor Phase 3?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it but am also not feeling the rap.

I think semi-singing like stickboy said would probably be pretty cool.

Maybe a bull horn?

Comment

I like it but am also not feeling the rap.

I think semi-singing like stickboy said would probably be pretty cool.

Maybe a bull horn?

That's an idea! Or simply compress the **************** out of it.
      Don't listen to Justin.
      LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

That's an idea! Or simply compress the **************** out of it.

Or a bunch of delay and reverb. I think it would be just as effective not understanding what he is saying. I think what is being said is cool, but I don't think it is imperative to the song. Which would be somewhat fitting if the listener is left thinking WTF is this guy saying here and it gets lost in the noise.

Comment

Forgot about this.

The bass sounds cool as.

Is it bothering you?

It's not really bothering me. It was. I was down the rabbit hole then though. I tend to jam out a part, then replay it using the best bits and trying to do some repeating of key bits and really making it a part. Replay it or cut it up. With development and all. I think you do this intuitively, it seems.

This one I just jammed out once and forgot about it. Then as I listened closer there was some cool stuff but I never went back and sort of composed the part around those best ideas.

It's alive sounding though, I think. So I guess I'm good with it. Thanks for looking into it though...

Comment

Or a bunch of delay and reverb. I think it would be just as effective not understanding what he is saying. I think what is being said is cool, but I don't think it is imperative to the song. Which would be somewhat fitting if the listener is left thinking WTF is this guy saying here and it gets lost in the noise.

You guys are awesome for even caring at this point. I think I'm burnt out on this characters attitude. I wanna rufie his ass and tie him to a light post, midtown, naked. Then be there rush hour to enjoy. He's a prick.

OK... that out. now...

Wait a minute, sing it? That's not a bad idea. I really like the edit suggestion because of the mercy it provides for the writer but... that's not a bad idea. Maybe some sort of almost Bohemian Rhapsody, with out the intense camp (and awesome vocals), well, maybe more like a Barber Shop Quartet for rock band exercise. This might be cool, fun, a little camp. Hmmmm....

Comment

You guys are awesome for even caring at this point. I think I'm burnt out on this characters attitude. I wanna rufie his ass and tie him to a light post, midtown, naked. Then be there rush hour to enjoy. He's a prick.

OK... that out. now...

Wait a minute, sing it? That's not a bad idea. I really liked the edit it out altogether suggestion because of the mercy it provides for the writer but... that's singing it's not a bad idea. Maybe some sort of almost Bohemian Rhapsody, with out the intense camp (and awesome vocals), well, maybe more like a Barber Shop Quartet for rock band exercise. This might be cool, fun, a little camp. Hmmmm....

Comment

OK... OK... somebody said something almost inadvertently about "Unless you could slow it down...". I can't find your quote so whoever it was, hide now or come forward depending... but...

Why not slow it down? Do a section that just grooves. I promise I won't try and cop Dre or whoever. But the original part was written much slower. That is why keen heads like yourselves are thinking, but wait, that should work... Because it sort of does. But not at this breakneck tempo. What Ram picked up on. I do like where the tune is at now but, maybe why not do a 10CC on this?

Let me think about his...

Comment

OK... OK... somebody said something almost inadvertently about "Unless you could slow it down...". I can't find your quote so whoever it was, hide now or come forward depending... but...

Why not slow it down? Do a section that just grooves. I promise I won't try and cop Dre or whoever. But the original part was written much slower. That is why keen heads like yourselves are thinking, but wait, that should work... Because it sort of does. But not at this breakneck tempo. What Ram picked up on. I do like where the tune is at now but, maybe why not do a 10CC on this?

Let me think about his...

Not sure if I'm the only one who said it, but that was me. It would be worth a shot just to see what it sounds like. If it doesn't work, you could always fall back on 'can it' or 'sing it.'
                  Beware of deepities.-- Daniel Dennett

Comment

Lee I am not familiar with any previous version. I might sound like I am going easy on you, but I like what you have so far. Sure a few tweaks here and there. I like the "rap" part, perhaps different vocal tonality or FX may sound even cooler. I don't think it detracts from the song, but that is just me. As usual great melody arrangement, lyrics, the works. Toward the end I hear a guitar line with a awesome George Harrison vibe. Cool.
                    I am curious where this will go and which suggestion shared here you utilize.. I am of the mind that it is of great importance to heed advise of other's. In the end I need to be satisfied as well. A fine line I know.

Comment

It's not really bothering me. It was. I was down the rabbit hole then though. I tend to jam out a part, then replay it using the best bits and trying to do some repeating of key bits and really making it a part. Replay it or cut it up. With development and all. I think you do this intuitively, it seems.

This one I just jammed out once and forgot about it. Then as I listened closer there was some cool stuff but I never went back and sort of composed the part around those best ideas.

It's alive sounding though, I think. So I guess I'm good with it. Thanks for looking into it though...

It's a very good part, and I think it does a great job of driving the track. If I were to nit-pick:

0:48 - I love the ascending line here, and I miss it when you don't repeat that same figure in the second chorus. I like the spontaneous nature of the bass line throughout, but this is one place where I would consider flying that part from the first chorus to the second.

1:10 - 1:14: The bass part sounds tentative here. Like maybe you almost started the second verse too soon and then caught yourself? Consider having the bass double the guitar's F# - E - C# - B line here, in the same octave as the guitar (i.e., starting on the F# on the G string) on the last repeat or two.

1:28 ("tell them what they wanna hear") - There's a sloppy note (sounds like you hit the fret). It didn't bother me in the prior version but the bass is more prominent in this mix and it really jumps out (to my bass player's ears, anyway).

I love the track and the production, by the way.

Comment

It's a very good part, and I think it does a great job of driving the track. If I were to nit-pick:

0:48 - I love the ascending line here, and I miss it when you don't repeat that same figure in the second chorus. I like the spontaneous nature of the bass line throughout, but this is one place where I would consider flying that part from the first chorus to the second.

1:10 - 1:14: The bass part sounds tentative here. Like maybe you almost started the second verse too soon and then caught yourself? Consider having the bass double the guitar's F# - E - C# - B line here, in the same octave as the guitar (i.e., starting on the F# on the G string) on the last repeat or two.

1:28 ("tell them what they wanna hear") - There's a sloppy note (sounds like you hit the fret). It didn't bother me in the prior version but the bass is more prominent in this mix and it really jumps out (to my bass player's ears, anyway).

Thanks! Yep, that is exactly the stuff I'm referring to. You think like me with bass I can see. I might go in and do a bit of that copy and pasting to unify the track just a little. Nice observations and thanks for your time going through it!

Comment

Done.

Comment

I wanna rufie his ass and tie him to a light post

Leonard Scaper

Comment

I don't think I'd ever say such a thing!

Comment

So... I've recreated the middle section by dropping the rap and doing a bit of cut and paste of the vocals, I've created a thing... you tell me. I'll post an "Actor 4" thread to facilitate the thrashings.

Comment

Working...
                                X