I Shoulda Been an Actor Phase 3?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

It's a very good part, and I think it does a great job of driving the track. If I were to nit-pick:

0:48 - I love the ascending line here, and I miss it when you don't repeat that same figure in the second chorus. I like the spontaneous nature of the bass line throughout, but this is one place where I would consider flying that part from the first chorus to the second.

1:10 - 1:14: The bass part sounds tentative here. Like maybe you almost started the second verse too soon and then caught yourself? Consider having the bass double the guitar's F# - E - C# - B line here, in the same octave as the guitar (i.e., starting on the F# on the G string) on the last repeat or two.

1:28 ("tell them what they wanna hear") - There's a sloppy note (sounds like you hit the fret). It didn't bother me in the prior version but the bass is more prominent in this mix and it really jumps out (to my bass player's ears, anyway).

I love the track and the production, by the way.

Thanks! Yep, that is exactly the stuff I'm referring to. You think like me with bass I can see. I might go in and do a bit of that copy and pasting to unify the track just a little. Nice observations and thanks for your time going through it!

• Moderators

It's a very good part, and I think it does a great job of driving the track. If I were to nit-pick:

0:48 - I love the ascending line here, and I miss it when you don't repeat that same figure in the second chorus. I like the spontaneous nature of the bass line throughout, but this is one place where I would consider flying that part from the first chorus to the second.

1:10 - 1:14: The bass part sounds tentative here. Like maybe you almost started the second verse too soon and then caught yourself? Consider having the bass double the guitar's F# - E - C# - B line here, in the same octave as the guitar (i.e., starting on the F# on the G string) on the last repeat or two.

1:28 ("tell them what they wanna hear") - There's a sloppy note (sounds like you hit the fret). It didn't bother me in the prior version but the bass is more prominent in this mix and it really jumps out (to my bass player's ears, anyway).

I love the track and the production, by the way.

Done.

Archived