cheap drum set for my first recording studio

mbengs1

• Members

I need a drum kit that's not expensive but can sound good. i've seen some some cheap drums sound pretty good. can you recommend me some drum sets? i plan to buy a drum set on ebay or something. then i will buy mics and mic stands to setup my studio :D

• Members

PDP makes decent entry level pro stuff. Yamaha has a Stage custom line that is very good sounding. You're still looking at a grand give or take plus good cymbals which can go $500 for starters and keep going until you have no money.

The consensus here is buy used. Then again you'll need a qualified buyer to check the stuff out for you.

What I'd recommend is buy the cheapest drums you can buy, put new Remo Pinstripes on them and after you've tracked the drums, replace all the sounds with good samples.

• Members

For the money it costs versus the sounds you can get out of them, I think the Yamaha Stage Custom might be the best "bang for the buck" drum set out there. And yes, many of the PDP kits can sound really good for cheap, as well. Most of it comes down to what heads are on the drums and your ability to tune well, but they can go a LONG way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Agree with the others on used. You can get a mid line series kit used for about the same or just a little more than a B-line (copy) (Space Percussion, CB 700) new. For about the past 20-30 years, Any Brand name drum maker (Yamaha, Pearl, Ludwig, Mapex, Tama, PDP), and a few more should be decent enough to start with. Agree on replacing the heads as well. Heads on drums is close to replacing strings on a guitar.

With some practice with tuning and recording as well. Check Craiglist and others in your town. Maybe give us links to what you're looking at and we can recommend the best choice??? What town are you in?? Another thing to keep in mind is that cymbals (at least ones that sound decent) can be as much if not more than a drum set. BUT, Many times, used sets come with decent or better cymbals, this is why we recommend used as well. Very often, a Craigslist set will have decent shells and hardware (pedal, stands, stool-aka- "Throne" ) with some decent or good heads and one decent to good cymbal with a few other entry level cymbals.

Hope this helps, please share with us with links as to what you're looking at or if you have anymore questions about drums. ;-)

• Members

I checked sweetwater and this is the set i think i'd get. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL726S-C255 or http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL725S-C246

my budget is $500-1000. i think that should sound good enough for a pro quality drum sound. its the kick drum that matters. poor kick drum sound is unwanted. any other drum can sound mediocre i just want the kick drum to be full...

• Members

I took my PDP FS kit to a coffeehouse where the owner also ran a recording studio. After the gig, he asked if he could try out my kit so I handed him the sticks. After a minute of playing he stopped and said "Man, I know what this kit is but it sounds better than most $3,000 kits that I record." The right heads and tuning go a long way.

And of course, your studio's acoustics and mics/signal chain will be another big factor.

• Members
I checked sweetwater and this is the set i think i'd get. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL726S-C255 or http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXL725S-C246

my budget is $500-1000. i think that should sound good enough for a pro quality drum sound. its the kick drum that matters. poor kick drum sound is unwanted. any other drum can sound mediocre i just want the kick drum to be full...

Both of those sets look good, But I would still try to find them used, will help save money for other stuff you want to get later.

Archived