What's this reggae drummer doing?

skycanyon

• Members

Lol it was like Jah mahn, ai med a nyu beeiit. Ai kahl eet da ahl drop. Ya mun...

K, I find reggae monotonous but some of the grooves are pretty useful.

He does one, one drop and before that cycles he goes ... four AND one AND two and THREE and variations thereof. The bold face being the stick click and THREE being the standard one drop placement Semi Latinish. Look up Sambas for ideas.

• Members

The video disappeared again lol.

Yeah, monotonous.Bob Marley wrote a couple great tunes, uh, No Woman Don't ... comes to mind but Bob Marley isn't reggae. The body of reggae is two chord crap with lousy melody and a Ganja prerequisite. Never been to Jamaica so the vibe does nothing for me. I'd like to try some of their fast food though. :)

• Members

For the majority of this song, This can be a rock beat, not much different except he is using a side stick instead of a snare. Pretty standard stuff. Hihat is at the same volume, pay attention to that. Sometimes this can sound more complicated than it is because the other instruments are playing different rhythms than the drummer - it can sound syncopated. But at its bare bones, this is pretty simple. When I think of reggae drumming I tend to think of Copeland, but he really has a his own version of reggae drumming which is more aggressive and busier - which I love. This is a lot more tame. I have to watch myself and not play too busy if Im playing something like this. Restraint.

• Members
For the majority of this song, This can be a rock beat, not much different except he is using a side stick instead of a snare. Pretty standard stuff. Hihat is at the same volume, pay attention to that. Sometimes this can sound more complicated than it is because the other instruments are playing different rhythms than the drummer - it can sound syncopated. But at its bare bones, this is pretty simple. When I think of reggae drumming I tend to think of Copeland, but he really has a his own version of reggae drumming which is more aggressive and busier - which I love. This is a lot more tame. I have to watch myself and not play too busy if Im playing something like this. Restraint.

Hey- vinniewannabe: Great to see you!!

D

Archived