Drum beginner related questions

Chummy

• Members

Hya guys, my first post in this forum. Hope you're all okay :D

I am a keyboard/piano and Ukulele player but I am toying with the idea of learning another instrument. The thing is... Lately I've been fascinated with drums, since like from elementary I like doing beatboxing and songs and rhytms are played constantly in my head.

So I am attracted to Electronic drums... I don't like acoustic drums at all. Electronic you have many many sounds, it's volume changeable (and headphones) and it's smaller for small spaces. I know what each drum part does and when to use it (kick,snare,tom, etc) so I guess the thing I'll need to work on is definitely technique, coordination and speed. So if I were to begin learning drums (by myself) what would I need? just considering getting a set for my bday in November this year. I am not looking for anything pro level, just beginner mid range no need for more than 3 toms. I saw some good roland stuff on the V drums (TD-11K for example) are they any good? what should I get for best bang for buck?

Sorry for wall, but one last thing. I like all those kitchy old vintage drum sounds, like those 80s progressive rock and synthpop bands and drum machine "analog like" sound. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks peeps :p

• Members

I would agree with DW and add: As a drummer who has played on acoustic drums for over 25 years and just recently got an e-kit for my practice space at home AND for as you said, a good e-kit because you HATE acoustic kits and how to play better. I would get at least a Roland TD-4 kit (which is what I got) or a Yamaha DTX Exployer kit. BECAUSE these kits and higher up have good kit sounds right out of the box and each pad can be tuned and or muffled and each pad can be assigned a certain sound (for instance: I can make a cymbal pad make a snare sound if I wish) More limited e-kits seem to sound more limited in this area. I recently tried some used E-kits at a big music store recently (THe Alexis 6 kit and the 10 set-preprogrammed Yamaha kit) Both of them sounded about as good as the drum sounds on a 90's keyboard.

Second, as far as your technic: Practice, practice and even more practice. Get a plug to go from your stereo or I-pod to the e-kits "input" jack and practice playing along to some simple drum songs over and over and over again (AC/DC-CCR-Other simple songs) If you will start slow, the speed and agility will come later, like piano, there is no shortcut to instant drum magic.

Also keep in mind that 85% of drums on songs is keeping the same beat over and over during the whole song and learning to play and keep a steady beat  can be really slow and boring when hearing the drums by themselves (think of a metrodome constantly clicking to get an ideal) The biggest thing is learning to keep time, speed and flash will come later. A drummer mostly keeps time for the group and time is what you have to learn first. Hope this helps.

Archived