Ric 2030 Glenn Frey on eBay

BeeTL

• Members

Hmmm... I thought Glenn Frey was a guitar player and the bass players were Randy Meisner and then Timothy B. Schmidt

Perhaps that's why they sold less than the 1000 "Limited Edition" run...

Also, I believe this answers the question "Why doesn't Ric modernize the 4001/3 design?".

They did, and apparently it didn't sell...

:D

• Members

Don't let it fool you. That bass is probably one of the best playing and sounding basses made by Ric.

I would have thought so, too.

I just think it's interesting when an old line manufacturer develops an innovative product and it dies on the vine.

It's kind of like those people who complain that Fender P's look cheap because they're not back-routed and have the big plastic pickguard.

Why stick with the old, "out dated" design?

I guess because it sells...

• Members

I never buy anything with a famous person's name already on it. Kicks up the price without increasing the value.

I've got a Fender Sting signature bass that I love. Though I have not found another one that I would get. I got lucky and found the one that I have on sale at G.C., and it was a good one! $499. out the door. :D

But, Im with you on the sig instruments. Normally I would not own one. :o

• Members

I would have thought so, too.

I just think it's interesting when an old line manufacturer develops an innovative product and it dies on the vine.

It's kind of like those people who complain that Fender P's look cheap because they're not back-routed and have the big plastic pickguard.

Why stick with the old, "out dated" design?

I guess because it sells...

I agree with these points. Ric could have designed the same tone and playability into a bass that had MUCH better styling, and how hard is it to think that putting Glen Fry's name on it was a bad idea? Bassist's who look at Rics don't want anything new or different, and refuse to even consider something like this from Ric. So, Ric is stuck with their original design that sells, and nothing else. They could come out with a killer new styled bass if they wanted to, that would appeal to those not looking for vintage styling. That would take some guts on their part, and that's one thing they don't have. I would love to see a truly modern bass come from Rickenbacker, with great build quality, tone, playability, styling etc, but that will never happen. They don't have the guts to hang it out there, and the Ric fans can't get past the 4001/4003. Damn shame, because they could do something really cool I'd think, just not this thing.

• Members

I agree with these points. Ric could have designed the same tone and playability into a bass that had MUCH better styling, and how hard is it to think that putting Glen Fry's name on it was a bad idea? Bassist's who look at Rics don't want anything new or different, and refuse to even consider something like this from Ric. So, Ric is stuck with their original design that sells, and nothing else. They could come out with a killer new styled bass if they wanted to, that would appeal to those not looking for vintage styling. That would take some guts on their part, and that's one thing they don't have. I would love to see a truly modern bass come from Rickenbacker, with great build quality, tone, playability, styling etc, but that will never happen. They don't have the guts to hang it out there, and the Ric fans can't get past the 4001/4003. Damn shame, because they could do something really cool I'd think, just not this thing.

The following are examples of modernized Rics which have been available for a while now. But perhaps you don't consider them to be new/innovative enough because they have the same general body size/shape?

Ric_4004c.jpg

Ric_4004cii_950.jpg

rickenbacker4004cii.jpg

• Members

The following are examples of modernized Rics which have been available for a while now. But perhaps you don't consider them to be new/innovative enough because they have the same general body size/shape?

Other than a new bridge and lack of pickguard, what's the real difference? The true Ric-heads aren't buying those, and non Ric fans don't want them either. I've never had tha chance to play one of those, though I'd like to, but they still are locked into the old 4001/4003 school of thought. I'd rather see a truly modern Ric bass design, than a "modernized 4001".

• Moderators

No, Ric couldn't, because they can't keep up with the orders for what they're making now. I hear they're going to be expanding soon, though...

• Members

"...However, it is believed that there were nowhere near 1000 of these produced. Production was believed to have stopped early..."

...when it was discovered that Glenn Frey wasn't a bass player....

Ric Production Managr: Here you go, Glenn! We're rolling these off the line like mad.

Glenn Frey: Wow, that's great. One question, though - where are the other two strings? This looks like a bass guitar.

Ric Production Mgr: No, that's corr..... um............ geez, wel........... stop the production line, boys. I'm going to go pick up my pink slip.

:o:p:D

• Members

Ric_4004cii_950.jpg

Not available. The ones that were made were poorly conceived, with four-string pickups that were inadequate for this model. They never officially admitted to this, much less made them right. But the few that bought them knew it was so.

• Members

Yeah, I know its a guitar but the Susannah Hoffs 350 is an example of what you all have been talking about with one slight difference. yes, RIC made a limited edition run of a guitar named after a cute chick from a flash in the pan band ( at least the EAGLES and Frey had staying power). But what a beauty it was with two single and one humbucking pickup, the limited edition examples are fetching ridiculous prices. And from all accounts it is an excellent guitar and well worth copying.

• CMS Author

Other than a new bridge and lack of pickguard, what's the real difference? The true Ric-heads aren't buying those, and non Ric fans don't want them either. I've never had tha chance to play one of those, though I'd like to, but they still are locked into the old 4001/4003 school of thought. I'd rather see a truly modern Ric bass design, than a "modernized 4001".

Well, every manufacturer uses a signature headstock design, so teh neck stays the same. The pickups are different and modern, the rear-routed body style is different and modern, the bridge is different and modern.

So basically, you're panning these because you have a beef with the outline of the body?

I really can't see trashing a design that hasn't changed in decades, simply to make it "modern". Ric's sell because they are incredibly high quality instruments that sound great and are totally unique, for the price of a Fender.

• Members

Well, every manufacturer uses a signature headstock design, so teh neck stays the same. The pickups are different and modern, the rear-routed body style is different and modern, the bridge is different and modern.

So basically, you're panning these because you have a beef with the outline of the body?

I really can't see trashing a design that hasn't changed in decades, simply to make it "modern". Ric's sell because they are incredibly high quality instruments that sound great and are totally unique, for the price of a Fender.

The scale length, neck profile/shape, and yes the pickups are all carry-over's. I'm not trashing anything, but I can't see how it is impossible for one company to change over time. Ric could build anything they wanted too, but no one would buy it because it wouldn't look like a 4001. That's what my beef is with. I would love to see the best bass builders, Ric certainly being one, put some fresh creativity into their designs and unleash the "next 4001", so to speak. That bass probably looked as revolutionary and modern when it was first designed as an SR71. So from this point in time on are we only going to have the same old basses we have had for decades until we are all long gone? Are bassist's never going to accept something new from Ric, or is Ric now so far into building nothing but these that they have lost their design brains or will to create new things? Give us some 34"/35" 4 and 5 strings, with real (re:common route if possible) pickups, preamps, in killer new shapes that aren't locked into the old Ric's. That is not asking for that much, except it will never happen.

• Members

The scale length, neck profile/shape, and yes the pickups are all carry-over's. I'm not trashing anything, but I can't see how it is impossible for one company to change over time. Ric could build anything they wanted too, but no one would buy it because it wouldn't look like a 4001. That's what my beef is with. I would love to see the best bass builders, Ric certainly being one, put some fresh creativity into their designs and unleash the "next 4001", so to speak. That bass probably looked as revolutionary and modern when it was first designed as an SR71. So from this point in time on are we only going to have the same old basses we have had for decades until we are all long gone? Are bassist's never going to accept something new from Ric, or is Ric now so far into building nothing but these that they have lost their design brains or will to create new things? Give us some 34"/35" 4 and 5 strings, with real (re:common route if possible) pickups, preamps, in killer new shapes that aren't locked into the old Ric's. That is not asking for that much, except it will never happen.

Rickenbacker will change when new designers like LeCompte start outselling them, and probably not until then. They have no incentive to change as long as they can sell everything they can produce at a handsome profit.

• Members

Rickenbacker will change when new designers like LeCompte start outselling them, and probably not until then. They have no incentive to change as long as they can sell everything they can produce at a handsome profit.

Very true. Unfortunately none of the small builders will ever have the numbers of the big manufacturers, so the new stuff will always be out on the fringes, and the big guys will never have an incentive to try bold new things. Kind of a catch 22, and the end result is a huge loss of variety and selection outside of the custom market. That's all I'm harping on really, the pitiful amount of choices we have available and lack of anything non-standard. At least with the bass in question Ric tried something new, I'll give them credit for that.

• Members

Ric has tried different designs. The 4080, 4002, 4005 and 3000 line, for example. Not to mention the weirdos that would saunter out of the shop occasionally like the lightshow or MM hybrid. They just didn't sell. They supposedly still have a pallet of 4002's that never sold. Actually, I'm not sure I would consider Ric a 'large' manufacturer. They have nowhere near the numbers that Gibson or Fender or Ibanez have. Not even close.

Archived