Tuner Calibration???

willbill0587

• Members

I have a Korg tuner, one of the little cheap plastic ones and on it there are 2 buttons for adjusting the calibration.

It adjusts between 410hz and 485hz or something like that.

What does this actually do and where should I set it for bass??

I've found out that I can be out of tune but adjust the calibration and it says I'm in tune. Its weird, can anyone help me out?

• Members

Yeah, I have a korg digital tuner and my guit player has a foot pedal tuner. He's always a little sharp of me. It turns out he recalibrated his to match a keyboard that was apparently a little sharp, so I have to tune to his tuner so we are in tune with each other. I really want to recalibrate it back so I'm in tune with all the tracks I practice along with... :rolleyes:

• Members

The calibration sets up what frequency your "A" is. 440hz is the standard for most modern music, but some music uses a difference "A" frequency, which changes the tuning VERY slightly, but enough to tell a difference sometimes.

Yup

There may be a horn or acoustic piano that is slightly askew. You have that person play their "A". Use the tuner mic to find out the pitch and adjust for that gig. Thats the theory - I have never had a need to do this.

• Members

I have a Korg tuner, one of the little cheap plastic ones and on it there are 2 buttons for adjusting the calibration.

It adjusts between 410hz and 485hz or something like that.

What does this actually do and where should I set it for bass??

I've found out that I can be out of tune but adjust the calibration and it says I'm in tune. Its weird, can anyone help me out?

A=440Hz for bands, A=445Hz for orchestras. So unless you're playing bass with an orchestra (or a bunch of string players), you want to calibrate to 440Hz.

• Members

I was taught also that the orchestra soloist (often violin) will tune a couple of hertz off from the rest of the orchestra. That way, they will stand out, but the difference is not enough to sound bad to your ear.

• Members

The calibration should normally be set to 440Hz unless you need to be in tune with something that isn't tuned to 440 and can't easily be retuned, like a piano. Technically, when setting the calibration, you're telling the tuner where the A above middle C is (two octaves above your open A string). The two most common tunings are A-440 (by far the most common overall) and A-444. You'll probably never need the full adjustable range of your tuner.

• Members

If you want to be really historically correct, you could play Baroque music tuned to 415 Hz.

I've also seen some players tune to 436 Hz.

Sometimes my instructor's tuner gets bumped or something, and the brass quintet will be tuned to 442 Hz or similar!

• Members

440 is concert pitch C. If you are a guitar band, then this is what you want to set it at!
:wave:

Only if you're playing an A clarinet, in which case 440 would be your written C. 440 is an A in standard calibration, so the only way 440 would ever be Concert C is if you were tuning based on A-400 or thereabouts.

• Members

I know some people who were having an arguement because one guy said the tuning was 441 instead of 440. It was getting in then way of playing. So I told him I thought it was 439 1/2 so they went back to playing.

LOL.

Any of you guys hear the difference between a 440 and a 445? C'mon. :eek:

I have a 440 'A' tuning fork that I use to calibrate my tuner. Never heard of it being a C. What?

• Members

LOL.

Any of you guys hear the difference between a 440 and a 445? C'mon.
:eek:

I have a 440 'A' tuning fork that I use to calibrate my tuner. Never heard of it being a C. What?

You can hear a slight variance if someone is playing A 440 and another is at A 445. The "440 C" is only for clarinets, as their 440 is a C in their notation...I don't understand it either...but whatever. All I remember from playing in band in school was that when he said Bb, I played a Bb. And that any note he said, I played exactly what it was. hahahah

• Members

A=440Hz for bands, A=445Hz for orchestras. So unless you're playing bass with an orchestra (or a bunch of string players), you want to calibrate to 440Hz.

Not true...

Many american orchestras tune at 440, with some tuning to 442 or 445. and most european orchestras tune to 442.

• Moderators

Any of you guys hear the difference between a 440 and a 445? C'mon.
:eek:

Only when played next to each other. I'd never know the difference in a vacuum. My relative pitch is getting good. My absolute pitch is non-existant.

• Members

You can hear a slight variance if someone is playing A 440 and another is at A 445. The "440 C" is only for clarinets, as their 440 is a C in their notation...I don't understand it either...but whatever. All I remember from playing in band in school was that when he said Bb, I played a Bb. And that any note he said, I played exactly what it was. hahahah

Because some instruments are in the key of C (guitars, basses, keyboards) and others are in different keys. For example, alto/baritone saxophones are in the key of Eb, while tenor saxophones are in the key of Bb.

• Members

Only if you're playing an A clarinet, in which case 440 would be your written C. 440 is an A in standard calibration, so the only way 440 would ever be Concert C is if you were tuning based on A-400 or thereabouts.

D'oh! I knew there was something fishy when I posted it!

Archived