Jaco pastorius pickups?

mikejungle

• Members
Apart from that pretty much any Jazz bass pickups with just the bridge pickup solo'd...

It actually helps to blend in a tiny bit of neck pickup. Also, you have to turn the tone control down quite a bit (obviously). Beyond that, he generally used a significant amount of compression and a touch (sometimes more than just a touch) of chorus.

• Members

Not to detract from the thread, but I don't find his tone as the "be-all and end-all of bass tone." I have nothing against it, but when I try to find "my sound," I am not trying to sound the way Jaco did.

No disrespect intended.

I don't find anything at all special with the tone. But the playing on the other hand.

• Members

Jaco's tone is noteworthy, but if you try to copy the best (arguably) bassist of all time, you'll never be the best bassist of all time. If you have fretless jazz make it your own. You can get a lot of different tones out of a jazz bass; even if it is fretless, depending on configuration, gear etc. You can spend your whole life looking for Jaco's tone, only to find that he spent his hours looking for his tone.

my 2 cents.

• Members

Jaco's tone is noteworthy, but if you try to copy the best (arguably) bassist of all time, you'll never be the best bassist of all time. If you have fretless jazz make it your own. You can get a lot of different tones out of a jazz bass; even if it is fretless, depending on configuration, gear etc. You can spend your whole life looking for Jaco's tone, only to find that he spent his hours looking for his tone.

my 2 cents.

I don't think the OP wants to "copy exactly", but more approximate. I think it is useful to understand haw to get different tones, but don't dwell on them. Get you own sound. :thu:

• Members

I don't think the OP wants to "copy exactly", but more approximate. I think it is useful to understand haw to get different tones, but don't dwell on them. Get you own sound.
:thu:

I think this too. It's helpful to know where to go when you know where others have already been.

• Members

Not to detract from the thread, but I don't find his tone as the "be-all and end-all of bass tone." I have nothing against it, but when I try to find "my sound," I am not trying to sound the way Jaco did.

No disrespect intended.

cool..

thats not disrespect..if it was 100's of other cool bassists would be disrespectful

tone is personal and when it comes over the way you want it may just be down to you:p

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Jaco also coated his fretboard with marine epoxy, which contributed a fair bit to the tone. He also used to eat a lot of greasey food just before performing, and even after munching through a pile of Kentucky Fried Chicken he wouldn't wipe his hands and immediately start playing his bass. The greaseyness helped the strings feel slicker.

Archived